Sign in to follow this  
Gershwin fan

Liam Neeson Backlash- will this ruin his career?

39 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Gee, I sure hope this won't ruin Liam's career, anyway!

Seein' as how all the guy stars in anymore is all those revenge action flicks featuring lots of gunplay and overt violence in general.

I mean, what will all those kids out there who just LOVE this kind'a stuff DO with themselves if this happens, RIGHT?!

(...oh...wait...they still have all those superhero flicks they can turn to, huh...never mind)

They can always watch John Wayne movies on TCM.

2 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Rumors of "non-hetero" sex with small furry animals didn't end Richard Gere's career.

That's because untrue rumors are for the simple-minded.

But thanks for bringing them up.

As an actor Neeson may be a mediocre scene chewer but as a pr guy he's a genius.

A personal tale of revenge just before a his flick about a personal tale of revenge

opens. Well done, boyo. I could see if the rapee told him it was an individual, but

going out with a cosh to attack any black guy seems over the edge. Too bad there

wasn't a black guy with a gun to blow little Liam away, but you can't always get what

you want. :)

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Too bad there wasn't a black guy with a gun to blow little Liam away, but you can't always get what you want.

Such a sweet thought.

Not surprising coming from someone like you, though.

4 hours ago, darkblue said:

Such a sweet thought.

He is right about Neeson being an idiot to admit this right before the release of a major film. Considering the current political climate, he may as well have admitted to pedophilia.

5 hours ago, darkblue said:

Such a sweet thought.

It was a bit on the saccharine side and I apologize for that. But it would be

funny to see Neeson with his cosh being mowed down by an Irish Superfly

with a street sweeper. Ouch. :(

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

He is right about Neeson being an idiot to admit this right before the release of a major film. Considering the current political climate, he may as well have admitted to pedophilia.

Maybe I was unclear, but I think this is a good pr move for the film if not for Neeson

personally. I believe the buzz this gives the movie will outweigh the backlash against

Neeson's statement. I suppose we'll know in a few weeks when the box office totals

come in.

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

As for Neeson, I feel badly for him, as I don't think his comments were taken as they were intended. I believe he was trying to illustrate how easily biased thinking can happen. His particular story dealt with a target that happened to be black, but what he said would have been the same if they had been East Indian, or Chinese, or English (as opposed to Irish), or any other division. The same holds for people of those groups who hold all white people in contempt based on the actions of one or two. 

He also openly stated that he was disturbed and disgusted with how he felt, and he never actually acted on those basest of impulses. He was trying to offer understanding rather than excusing that way of thinking, and showing that one can move past it. I'm not sure what will happen with his career, given the currently hostile environment of extreme over-reaction fostered by an insatiable need for outrage via social media. 

I believe many others will view that the same way, the reason why I think his career won't be that impacted.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Maybe I was unclear, but I think this is a good pr move for the film if not for Neeson

personally. I believe the buzz this gives the movie will outweigh the backlash against

Neeson's statement. I suppose we'll know in a few weeks when the box office totals

come in.

I thought you were being sarcastic. Neeson got kicked off of the Red Carpet so while this may help boost sales for this movie, I think it will ultimately have a very negative impact on his career/ salary. Though you are right that many will want to see this because of this controversy.

On 2/7/2019 at 11:43 PM, Gershwin fan said:

I thought you were being sarcastic. Neeson got kicked off of the Red Carpet so while this may help boost sales for this movie, I think it will ultimately have a very negative impact on his career/ salary. Though you are right that many will want to see this because of this controversy.

Russell Crowe

Mel Gibson

Liam Neeson

I wouldn't say that Mel Gibson was on the same level of the other two in terms of acting, but he certainly has had as much, if not more success in the film industry than the others.

But what is it about these British/ Commonwealth anglophone actors that makes it look as though they have a strong Death Wish on their own enormously successful film careers?

Is it just individual personal problems or is there something else about their ethnic zietgeist that is problematic or out of control?

While I have never sought out their movies to watch, I've been in situations, like on airplanes, where I've seen a number of their films and they have such charismatic talent that you have to wonder what's going on here?

4 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Russell Crowe

Mel Gibson

Liam Neeson

I wouldn't say that Mel Gibson was on the same level of the other two in terms of acting, but he certainly has had as much, if not more success in the film industry than the others.

But what is it about these British/ Commonwealth anglophone actors that makes it look as though they have a strong Death Wish on their own enormously successful film careers?

Is it just individual personal problems or is there something else about their ethnic zietgeist that is problematic or out of control?

While I have never sought out their movies to watch, I've been in situations, like on airplanes, where I've seen a number of their films and they have such charismatic talent that you have to wonder what's going on here?

They each come from very different backgrounds. Neeson grew up amidst the Troubles, and the resultant paranoia and animosity inherent in that environment. He also seems to be a very different person than the other two, as Neeson's sole "offense" was to foolishly bring up a subject that he shouldn't have in this social-media-outrage atmosphere. He was honest about a difficult subject, and he's being pilloried for it. He never actually attacked anyone, and has no history of mistreatment, either verbally or physically, of any of his co-workers, family members, or any one else.

Crowe is a New Zealander who identifies more strongly as an Australian. He started out in the industry as a pop singer, and only reluctantly began acting, and that career took off. He's never seemed comfortable as a Hollywood star, and he has dealt with many anger management issues. He has been physically and verbally abusive to multiple people over multiple incidents. Why? I can't say, but he seems to me to be a typical pub-crawling soccer hooligan at heart, although of the Aussie variety.

Mel Gibson was easily the biggest star of the three, at one time being among the top two or three male movie stars in the world. But he came from a very contentious background. His father was a religious zealot and more than a bit of a crackpot, and that's why he moved his large family to Australia when Gibson was 12 (he was born and raised in New York state up to that point). Gibson's later life issues seem to stem from that corrosive form of extreme fundamentalist Catholic upbringing combined with his father's own conspiracy theories about the world. Add to that Gibson's long battle with alcoholism, and the problems are easy to root out.

• Thanks 1