Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Woody Allen has been shelved

138 posts in this topic

p.s. I've been meaning for a while, to go attend Woody and his dixieland band playing in Michael's bar or wherever it is on Manhattan's upper east side. It's a trek though. As far as his films, it's a shame if he apparently keeps milking the same tired themes over and over. That's certainly not in the tradition of his mentors like Fellini and Bergman.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

p.s. I've been meaning for a while, to go attend Woody and his dixieland band playing in Michael's bar or wherever it is on Manhattan's upper east side. It's a trek though. As far as his films, it's a shame if he apparently keeps milking the same tired themes over and over. That's certainly not in the tradition of his mentors like Fellini and Bergman.

Michael's Pub I believe.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

https://themuse.jezebel.com/woody-allen-sues-amazon-after-they-indefinitely-shelve-1832436766

This is actually pretty big news, it has the potential to get even bigger. Amazon Studios who entered a four film deal with Woody Allen have decided not to release (and to shelve indefinitely!) the latest film he has done for them, which means for the first time in over 40 years Woodrow will not have a film released (Apparently he prides himself on doing exactly one film a year)

the film in question?

A RAINY DAY IN NEW YORK, Which is about a middle-age man who wants to sleep with a 19-year-old girl who he later finds out is really a 15-year-old girl.

You just can’t make this **** up.

He is furious and has vowed to sue Amazon, and some people are saying he actually has something of a leg to stand on here since they signed them after they knew all the scurrilous details of his life. However, if he does choose to sue them he opens his life up to investigation and A legal process known as discovery, and something tells me that’s not exactly the route he wants to go.

Personally, he creeps me out a little bit. It's not just one, but at least 3 of his films that deal with either having an established relationship with an underage or young girl, or pursuing an underage or young girl. I could handle 1 single film dealing with this topic, but 3? I prefer other things of his like "Radio Days" or "Manhattan Murder Mystery." You can just choose to have discretion when picking one of his movies to watch. 

That being said, I can understand why he would be upset if Amazon really did sign official documents and are now trying to back out of their deal. 

• Like 2

I hope he sues and wins. This is like the production code all over again. Trying to prevent portraying something that happens everyday.

Now, we don't like it. And would rather it not happen. I think the film would shine a light on a sensitive issue. I am always in favor of freedom of the arts over restriction.

I'm sure there are other streaming services that would show the film.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

https://themuse.jezebel.com/woody-allen-sues-amazon-after-they-indefinitely-shelve-1832436766

This is actually pretty big news, it has the potential to get even bigger. Amazon Studios who entered a four film deal with Woody Allen have decided not to release (and to shelve indefinitely!) the latest film he has done for them, which means for the first time in over 40 years Woodrow will not have a film released (Apparently he prides himself on doing exactly one film a year)

the film in question?

A RAINY DAY IN NEW YORK, Which is about a middle-age man who wants to sleep with a 19-year-old girl who he later finds out is really a 15-year-old girl.

You just can’t make this **** up.

He is furious and has vowed to sue Amazon, and some people are saying he actually has something of a leg to stand on here since they signed them after they knew all the scurrilous details of his life. However, if he does choose to sue them he opens his life up to investigation and A legal process known as discovery, and something tells me that’s not exactly the route he wants to go.

Personally I haven't watched hardly any of his movies since The Purple Rose of Cairo, being that I liked the idea of walking in or out of the movie screen better in Buster Keaton's, Sherlock Jr.

I also pretty much abhor films with Mia Farrow in them, so that was a roadblock too.

I'm sure he's made some good films though, so maybe he can get Mariel Hemingway to star as the fifteen-year-old kid's grandma in this one, but at another studio?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Personally, he creeps me out a little bit. It's not just one, but at least 3 of his films that deal with either having an established relationship with an underage or young girl, or pursuing an underage or young girl. I could handle 1 single film dealing with this topic, but 3? I prefer other things of his like "Radio Days" or "Manhattan Murder Mystery." You can just choose to have discretion when picking one of his movies to watch. 

That being said, I can understand why he would be upset if Amazon really did sign official documents and are now trying to back out of their deal. 

My favorite film of his is The Curse of the Jade Scorpion. I don't get why it was so critically panned. I thought it was a funny send up to screwball comedies and mystery films of the 30s.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

My favorite film of his is The Curse of the Jade Scorpion. I don't get why it was so critically panned. I thought it was a funny send up to screwball comedies and mystery films of the 30s.

I haven't seen this one; thanks! I'll give it a try :) 

9 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Woody Allen Has Been Shelved

Now he can be an elf.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Has he actually broken any laws though? I know many consider him creepy but I don't think he has really done anything illegal. 

I was wondering the same thing as I can't remember all the details of the accusations by Mia Farrow. 

All I can remember is something about Farrow finding photos of the adopted daughter on the mantle or something, when she was still married to Allen, which showed some problematic potential. 

Personally I would not want to be married to Farrow, and that is based on what Old Blue Eyes told me.

• Like 2

I think the Woodman should make a film about a 65 year old guy who has sex

with a 15 year old girl, but the girl thinks he's really 70. Just a thought. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Or maybe the girl can be 15 in dog years, which means she'd really be a 105 year old dog.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Or maybe the girl can be 15 in dog years, which means she'd really be a 105 year old dog.

I don't know if the other actors would go along with that. They don't like to be upstaged

by animals and kids and here you sort of have both in one character. Could be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't know if the other actors would go along with that. They don't like to be upstaged

by animals and kids and here you sort of have both in one character. Could be a problem.

Of course we know Allen's not interested in telling stories about women over a hundred. Even though he's approaching a hundred himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Of course we know Allen's not interested in telling stories about women over a hundred. Even though he's approaching a hundred himself.

To be fair, Woody will be "only" 84 this year, so he's got a while to go. From the reviews I've read

of his recent movies, I think the one movie a year is probably a bad idea and he should take a little

more time between films. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Was that the one where Tea Leoni falls in love with Woody? 

Everything was good except that "fantasy" ending.

3 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

No, that was Hollywood Ending.

Jade Scorpion had Helen Hunt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I hope he sues and wins. This is like the production code all over again. Trying to prevent portraying something that happens everyday.

Now, we don't like it. And would rather it not happen. I think the film would shine a light on a sensitive issue. I am always in favor of freedom of the arts over restriction.

This is kind of a stupid case to expose and highlight the censorship problem going on with the tech giants right now, but if so, so be it.  Every little bit helps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Maybe a film "Mommy You (May) Have Competition"

WHAT THE HECK, he's sitting in the same seat (from my last post)!!! :o

xin_070202221132723004113.jpg

z11958646O.jpg

6 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

To me this looks like a simple contacts case;  does the contract give the company the sole right to determine if a film is released or not?        

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In my view the issue is turning liberals into conservatives, where they are now much more judgmental and censorious than ever before.

One could argue they've always been censorious, just about a different range of things than conservatives.

I'd also use the term puritans instead of conservatives.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

WHAT THE HECK, he's sitting in the same seat (from my last post)!!! :o

He probably has season tickets. 

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Jade Scorpion is the one where the magician tricks Helen Hunt and Woody Allen into falling in love everytime they hear the words "Constantinople" and "Madagascar." 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

One could argue they've always been censorious, just about a different range of things than conservatives.

I'd also use the term puritans instead of conservatives.

Very much like the Puritans of New England - dour, humorless, lacking in forgiveness, eager to turn into an unperson and erase all past accomplishments of anybody who breaches their fundamentalist religion of political correctness.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1