Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Woody Allen has been shelved

138 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

Maybe a film "Mommy You (May) Have Competition"

WHAT THE HECK, he's sitting in the same seat (from my last post)!!! :o

xin_070202221132723004113.jpg

 

 

Mom, he's making eyes at me.

I love pc, especially when it drives the right wingers batty.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good stout inch-and-a-half thick, thirty foot length of Kentucky hemp and a stout cottonwood limb ...wouldnt be the first time a man was cured of cattle-rustlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The L.A. Times had a good article that discussed the contract and it looks like Amazon clearly is in breech.   Of course Amazon can't be ordered to show and promote the film over it's content network,  so the likely end result is they will have to pay Allen millions.     To me that is fair.    As Allen's lawyers noted,  Amazon knew about Allen's past and still entered into a 4 film agreement.    Due to #MeToo etc...  Amazon decides they don't wish to work with Allen or promote his films on their content network.    Ok,  but that will cost ya,  and it should.

My guess  is that Allen will also receive all the rights to the film and can then work with others to distribute it (but it is questionable if there will be others).

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how many ALLEN films are running as part of 31 DAYS?

(For the record, not complaining or against their being aired, just curious.)

They nearly always trot out HANNAH AND HER SISTERS for OSCAR month and that is one that I definitely cannot watch anymore.

I also wonder when the last time they showed MANHATTAN was...(it is one that gets referenced in the comments on a lot of news articles about Allen. I've never seen it, but I admit I have always foudn the subject matter very distasteful. Compounded with the fact that Mariel Hemingway not too long ago alleged that Allen tried to book them in a hotel room together for the European junket of the film.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I wonder how many ALLEN films are running as part of 31 DAYS?

(For the record, not complaining or against their being aired, just curious.)

They nearly always trot out HANNAH AND HER SISTERS for OSCAR month and that is one that I definitely cannot watch anymore.

I also wonder when the last time they showed MANHATTAN was...(it is one that gets referenced in the comments on a lot of news articles about Allen. I've never seen it, but I admit I have always foudn the subject matter very distasteful. Compounded with the fact that Mariel Hemingway not too long ago alleged that Allen tried to book them in a hotel room together for the European junket of the film.

They should show Husbands & Wives. It's Woody Allen + it was Oscar nominated + it was released when the **** hit the fan + it has an older man/younger woman storyline + Liam Neeson.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The latest allegations come from Babi Christina Engelhardt - she was 16, Woody was 41, when they began their affair.

Their affair lasted for more than four years.

She says that the teenage character in "Manhattan" is a composite of several young women.

She has written two unpublished memoirs about the affair. 

 

 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

They should show Husbands & Wives. It's Woody Allen + it was Oscar nominated + it was released when the **** hit the fan + it has an older man/younger woman storyline + Liam Neeson.

I remember a lot of people gave that grief for all the handheld camera work, which is now almost standard in movies and tv- especially gritty subject matter or historical dramas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rayban said:

The latest allegations come from Babi Christina Engelhardt - she was 16, Woody was 41, when they began their affair.

Their affair lasted for more than four years.

She says that the teenage character in "Manhattan" is a composite of several young women.

She has written two unpublished memoirs about the affair. 

 

 

and there's more too, I did not bring it up because it is SCANDALOUS, but the thread is probably due to be scrubbed ca. this coming Monday so...

She has made some "allegations" about MIA FARROW as well that I found plausible.

There was an article on jezebel.com- and nowhere else insofar as I could tell- about it.

PS- I've come to believe that both Woody and Mia are terrible.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I wonder how many ALLEN films are running as part of 31 DAYS?

(For the record, not complaining or against their being aired, just curious.)

Are you trying to advocate that Woody Allen be banned from TCM..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rayban said:

The latest allegations come from Babi Christina Engelhardt - she was 16, Woody was 41, when they began their affair.

Their affair lasted for more than four years.

She says that the teenage character in "Manhattan" is a composite of several young women.

She has written two unpublished memoirs about the affair. 

Is she trying to get a publishing deal? Will it ever end...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It sounds like you are trying to advocate that Woody Allen be banned from TCM. 

It is so hard to separate the artist and his life.

I do make the effort, though.

I believe Dylan Farrow then and now.

I believe Mia Farrow.

Mr. Allen is a predator - and a creep.

Have you seen him in "To Rome, With Love"?

His creepiness is - so very visible.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Is she trying to get a publishing deal? Will it ever end...

How can it end?

Mr. Allen has quite a past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rayban said:

It is so hard to separate the artist and his life.

I do make the effort, though.

I believe Dylan Farrow then and now.

I believe Mia Farrow.

Mr. Allen is a predator - and a creep.

Have you seen him in "To Rome, With Love".

His creepiness is so very visible.

Thanks Ray. I don't believe the Farrows. He might be a creep, but I think they're also exaggerators. Mia's done a lot of weird things in her life, had a lot of strange relationships herself. She is not above reproach. Also at some point she has to take ownership for what may or may not have happened to her children when they were alone with Allen. It's too easy for her to make him the villain. Where's her sense of responsibility in all this?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

and there's more too, I did not bring it up because it is SCANDALOUS, but the thread is probably due to be scrubbed ca. this coming Monday so...

She has made some "allegations" about MIA FARROW as well that I found plausible.

There was an article on jezebel.com- and nowhere else insofar as I could tell- about it.

PS- I've come to believe that both Woody and Mia are terrible.

Yes, Miss Engelhardt is claiming that Mia Farrow was sometimes part of a threesome.

I think that the relationship between Mia and Woody is a very complicated one.

He revitalized her movie career.

And he made her a much bigger star.

He re-invented her. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only 

2 hours ago, rayban said:

It is so hard to separate the artist and his life.

I do make the effort, though.

I believe Dylan Farrow then and now.

I believe Mia Farrow.

Mr. Allen is a predator - and a creep.

Have you seen him in "To Rome, With Love".

His creepiness is so very visible.

 

Only Natalie Wood knows what really happened.

 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't the "Me, Too" movement finally catch up with Mr. Woody Allen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I wonder how many ALLEN films are running as part of 31 DAYS?

(For the record, not complaining or against their being aired, just curious.)

They nearly always trot out HANNAH AND HER SISTERS for OSCAR month and that is one that I definitely cannot watch anymore.

I also wonder when the last time they showed MANHATTAN was...(it is one that gets referenced in the comments on a lot of news articles about Allen. I've never seen it, but I admit I have always foudn the subject matter very distasteful. Compounded with the fact that Mariel Hemingway not too long ago alleged that Allen tried to book them in a hotel room together for the European junket of the film.

Manhattan is worth seeing for several reasons. Gordon Willis' B&W photography is much admired. I would take Diane Keaton's performance in this over her work in Annie Hall, Reds, or many of her other films because for once she isn't playing a neurotic, allegedly adorable nebbish but an emotionally cold New York literary intellectual of a rather common type. You also get to see Meryl Streep in a small role before she got to be famous. She's playing Woody Allen's first wife who came out as a lesbian and wrote about a book about him. The soundtrack is a lot of great standards, so that's another plus. Then there is, yes, Mariel Hemingway, who, according to me, gives the most annoying performance ever nominated for an Oscar. I mean I'd rather watch Martha Hyer in Some Came Running. Mariel is tall, unkissed by talent, with a whiny voice that drives me up the wall. Any middle-aged man running after this adenoidal adolescent absolutely deserves what's he getting.

Husbands and Wives would be such a good film if not for the jiggly cam which is supposed to make everything more real and authentic. It's just annoying and literally nauseating. Judy Davis is terrific, and the film would be worth seeing for her performance alone. Mia is essentially playing the same role as in Hannah and Her Sisters, except that the angle has changed. What was sweet and kooky and adorable when Woody was falling in love with her in real life is now seen as cold and passive-aggressive and manipulative.

One more thing: Babi Christina Engelhardt?? That sounds like a name Woody would have invented. Is she "Baby" or is the German pronunciation, "Bobby"?

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, rayban said:

Shouldn't the "Me, Too" movement finally catch up with Mr. Woody Allen?

That is up for the public and those in the movie making industry to decide.   My own POV is no: I would still go out to see a Allen film if it interested me.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Husbands and Wives would be such a good film if not for the jiggly cam which is supposed to make everything more real and authentic. It's just annoying and literally nauseating. Judy Davis is terrific, and the film would be worth seeing for her performance alone. Mia is essentially playing the same role as in Hannah and Her Sisters, except that the angle has changed. What was sweet and kooky and adorable when Woody was falling in love with her in real life is now seen as cold and passive-aggressive and manipulative.

Great comment. These two films would make an interesting double feature one evening on TCM.

While INTERIORS is my favorite Woody Allen movie of all time, I'd say that HUSBANDS AND WIVES is a close second. It came out when I was at USC...I remember seeing it with some of my classmates. We were inspired by the cinematography in it. I did a bit of an homage when we were making our student films in a directors' symposium class we had to take. At that point I was a fan of hand-held stuff and dutch angles. I still am.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favorite Woody Allen films: Radio Days, Manhattan, Broadway Danny Rose, Zelig. I think Radio Days is a perfect film, at times hilarious, at times quite poignant. 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Swithin said:

Favorite Woody Allen films: Radio Days, Manhattan, Broadway Danny Rose, Zelig. I think Radio Days is a perfect film, at times hilarious, at times quite poignant. 

 

 

RADIO DAYS is the film that needs to be cited whenever someone you know, understandably, goes on that rant about how Woody makes the same film over and over and over again and they’re all kind of cold and intellectual and distant.

its none of those things, And, no matter how you feel about Woodrow, I think even the most jaded of us would have to concede it’s a very good and very touching film.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An exception that proves the rule...me, I'll rank and rate him on his earlier career and be perfectly pleased with him. He's got plenty of variety to relish. So does Scorcese, and dozens of other talents like Nicholson and Voight and Pacino and Hoffman and DeNiro. After a while though, things begin to wane with all of these names. Its funny how some folks complain about the 'factory' nature of Golden Age Hollywood yet it never seems as staid and flat as modern 'unfettered' cinema; never seems as depleted and exhausted as all these mavericks do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kingrat said:

Manhattan is worth seeing for several reasons.  Mariel is tall, unkissed by talent, with a whiny voice that drives me up the wall. Any middle-aged man running after this adenoidal adolescent absolutely deserves what's he getting.

Haha I like her in that movie, she looked "adult" sultry while still very childlike. Funny when he compared her voice to the baby mouse in Tom & Jerry!

13 hours ago, kingrat said:

Husbands and Wives would be such a good film if not for the jiggly cam which is supposed to make everything more real and authentic. It's just annoying and literally nauseating.

I agree and actually sometimes get motion sickness.

13 hours ago, kingrat said:

One more thing: Babi Christina Engelhardt?? That sounds like a name Woody would have invented. Is she "Baby" or is the German pronunciation, "Bobby"?

Yeah, really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd assume it's pronounced like the American pronunciation of "Bobby".

German does have the word "Baby", pronounced as in English, meaning, well, a baby (infant).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 8:38 AM, lydecker said:

Another "middle-aged man sleeping with a teenager" plot?  Doesn't Woody have anything but art imitating life in his repertoire?

Yeah, he does. In fact, most of his films are about something other than that topic.  (I'm not saying that's not a big theme in many of his movies, but he has made some great films that are not about that.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us