Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Woody Allen has been shelved

138 posts in this topic

Oh. I forgot to mention TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN...that movie is pretty damn funny and, as comedies go, a little ahead of its time perhaps?

Even people who effin HATE Woody will laugh during the scene where the shackled escaped prison chain gang has to tightly shuffle along en masse together.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...the one WOODY ALLEN film that I have not seen that I would verymuch  like to is CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS (1989), for a variety of reasons.

I don't think it ever runs on TCM, although they could show it as part of 31 days, I know at least Martin Landau got nominated for it.

Crimes and Misdemeanors is a really interesting film, Lorna, one of Woody's best. It's got a lot * to think about, plus it's quite funny in parts.

Bonus: there's no older man lusting after a young woman in it.

* edit: for some reason I originally posted "it's got a thought to think about"; clearly my own thoughts were not focused on what I was writing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Be warned, NickandNora, that, while everything Gershwin Fan says about it is true, it also depicts one of those "May-December " relationships. Woody (at the time, age 60), plays opposite Helen Hunt (at the time, age 36). Now 36 is much different from 16 or even 26, but still, you see the age difference so clearly, it is a bit off-putting.

However, it's a nice little movie, and as Gershwin fan says, an affectionate homage to those kinds of mystery movies they made back in the day, the era so many of us here love.

...By the way, I don't want people to think I like or don't mind  that aspect of those movies Allen made where the male character is at least twice the age of the female character he is romantically involved with. I, too, think it's a bit yucky. I just don't let it stop me from watching or enjoying his films. If the movie's good, I like it despite that "creep" factor. If it isn't (and quite of few of Woody's films are sub-par) than I dislike it on the film's merits or lack of same, not because of a "creepy" age difference.

I remembered that I had seen this film already back in soph. year of college haha. 

5 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I remembered that I had seen this film already back in soph. year of college haha. 

Nora, not that this has anything to do with what you said, but I just saw your profile saying you're in Astoria.  Are you really in Astoria, OR? Or are you really into The Goonies right now?  If you are really in Astoria, you're only about an hour and 45 mins away from me!

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Nora, not that this has anything to do with what you said, but I just saw your profile saying you're in Astoria.  Are you really in Astoria, OR? Or are you really into The Goonies right now?  If you are really in Astoria, you're only about an hour and 45 mins away from me!

I wish I was in OR, but no, I am on a "Goonies" kick at the moment. I've been bitten by the desire to change my location to a movie I've been really into at the moment. :)

• Like 1

I think the lesson of Interiors is never try to out-Bergman Bergman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

So, how did you like it?  (I'm guessing it didn't make much of an impression if you forgot you'd seen it !)

2 hours ago, rayban said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

But, for me, a teenager - a boy or girl - should not be having sex before they are barely out of puberty.

I'd make the legal age of consent - at least 18. 

What if their partner is also under 18?

34 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I wish I was in OR, but no, I am on a "Goonies" kick at the moment. I've been bitten by the desire to change my location to a movie I've been really into at the moment. :)

Lol.  I was wondering what would draw you to move to Astoria.  They do have a few great brew pubs though.  Apparently the owner of the Goonies house has put a giant tarp over it because he was sick of people trespassing all over his property.

• Haha 1

Age of Consent Laws from 1880 through 1920 basically when America was great before the Depression.

10 years old for 30 + states, 12 for the rest, and Delaware had some pretty kinky/creepy colonists eh rayban?, 7 years old, what are they thinking?

• Thanks 2

Cigarjoe:

I assume you were reading the Wikipedia article?  Because I was just reading the same thing.  30 US states have an age of consent of 16, although they don't comprise a majority of the US population.

Interestingly, in most of Europe, the age of consent is 16 or younger, although I think the under-16s are only for cases where the two partners are close in age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

So, how did you like it?  (I'm guessing it didn't make much of an impression if you forgot you'd seen it !)

Haha I like Helen Hunt, but I think I probably watched it half-delirious from lack of sleep due to excessive amounts of homework, so I figure I'll attempt to give it another viewing. 

• Like 1

[apropos of nothing really, I just continue to be surprised this thread hasn't been scrubbed every time i open up General Discussions]

radiodays-02.jpg

RADIO DAYS has one of the best classic movie in-joke scenes I can think of when a bunch of near-pubescent boys are on a beach discussing which movie star they would pick to "make it" with if they could and one guy's pick is Rita Hayworth and another's is Lana Turner and another one picks Veronica Lake and then the last guy says "Dana Andrews" and they're all "WHUH-HUH?!"

Turns out he had seen LAURA and assumed, as one might, that DANA Andrews was GENE Tierney and GENE Tierney was DANA Andrews, because why would a woman be named Gene and a guy named Dana?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

[apropos of nothing really, I just continue to be surprised this thread hasn't been scrubbed every time i open up General Discussions]

radiodays-02.jpg

RADIO DAYS has one of the best classic movie in-joke scenes I can think of when a bunch of near-pubescent boys are on a beach discussing which movie star they would pick to "make it" with if they could and one guy's pick is Rita Hayworth and another's is Lana Turner and another one picks Veronica Lake and then the last guy says "Dana Andrews" and they're all "WHUH-HUH?!"

Turns out he had seen LAURA and assumed, as one might, that DANA Andrews was GENE Tierney and GENE Tierney was DANA Andrews, because why would a woman be named Gene and a guy named Dana?

Yes, that little bit of confusion in that scene is one of many sweet scenes in Radio Days.

But Lorna, I wanted to ask you: why do you think they'll remove/delete this thread? It really isn't particularly offensive; and shirley everyone here is free to post their opinion(s) on this whole Woody Allen controversy (which of course also applies to many people besides W.A.) whatever it may be. 

I like to think the mod(s) here are not quite so censorious that they'd delete this thread just because we're discussing a somewhat divisive topic. So far everyone here, whatever their views , has been pretty polite. One of the nice things about these boards (usually...I never venture into the "Off Topic" realms, so I couldn't comment about them.)

17 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

But Lorna, I wanted to ask you: why do you think they'll remove/delete this thread?

It's only a matter of time before the topic of FULL FRONTAL MALE NUDITY comes up. It does in all my threads, even one I started on LITTLE WOMEN a few months back.

• Haha 2

Some great lines from What's Up Tiger Lily?:

Teri Yaki: "I'd call him a sadistic, hippophilic, n_ecrophilic, but that would be beating a dead horse."

High Macha of Rashpur: Gangsters have stolen my secret recipe for egg salad. And not only that -- they kill, they maim, and they call information for numbers they could easily look up in the book."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

Some great lines from What's Up Tiger Lily?:

High Macha of Rashpur: Gangsters have stolen my secret recipe for egg salad. And not only that -- they kill, they maim, and they call information for numbers they could easily look up in the book."

Great, now I'm hungry for egg salad.

thanks.

56 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Great, now I'm hungry for egg salad.

thanks.

I'm still searching Google for an image of a full frontally nude man eating an egg salad sandwich.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

I'm still searching Google for an image of a full frontally nude man eating an egg salad sandwich.

I could take a selfie and send it to ya.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Do checkout Jerry Lee Lewis getting married to a 13 year old cousin.

Now let's be fair, Michael...Myra was The Killer's third cousin, which might make it all alright except in England when you are on tour. What was the old joke "How do you find dates down south. Go to a family reunion!"

I wonder if cousin, Jimmy Swaggart married them? By the way, I have a nice, unplayed Jimmy Swaggart album for sale if anyone is interested called "I Cried in the Chapel [when the police arrested me for sexual importuning]".

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:
  5 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

But Lorna, I wanted to ask you: why do you think they'll remove/delete this thread?

in a more serious answer,

there are THREE FILMMAKERS whose names you mention anywhere on the boards, and usually, WE ALL START TO FIGHTING within 1-3 days (sometimes more or less.)

Like it or not, their names just spark STRONG REACTIONS! both good, but often BAD.

One is KUBRICK, and it's 100% over his films.

One is POLANSKI and it's 100% because of his personal life.

One, of course, is WOODY ALLEN and it's 50-50 with him.

(and- to be fair- while all three have directed films that I really don't like, each has also directed at least one [or more] that I very much did.)

• Like 1

Jimmy Swaggart and son Donnie appear quite often on channel 344 on DirecTV.

They both look like they're doing pretty well and wear nice suits. There are

quite a few born every minute. 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:03 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I wonder how many ALLEN films are running as part of 31 DAYS?

(For the record, not complaining or against their being aired, just curious.)

They nearly always trot out HANNAH AND HER SISTERS for OSCAR month and that is one that I definitely cannot watch anymore.

I also wonder when the last time they showed MANHATTAN was...(it is one that gets referenced in the comments on a lot of news articles about Allen. I've never seen it, but I admit I have always foudn the subject matter very distasteful. Compounded with the fact that Mariel Hemingway not too long ago alleged that Allen tried to book them in a hotel room together for the European junket of the film.

Just checked Allen's TCMDb page, Alice is on the schedule in late March, and Manhattan Murder Mystery appears again in April but no Allen films are showing during the 31 days.

• Thanks 1