Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Woody Allen has been shelved

138 posts in this topic

https://themuse.jezebel.com/woody-allen-sues-amazon-after-they-indefinitely-shelve-1832436766

This is actually pretty big news, it has the potential to get even bigger. Amazon Studios who entered a four film deal with Woody Allen have decided not to release (and to shelve indefinitely!) the latest film he has done for them, which means for the first time in over 40 years Woodrow will not have a film released (Apparently he prides himself on doing exactly one film a year)

the film in question?

A RAINY DAY IN NEW YORK, Which is about a middle-age man who wants to sleep with a 19-year-old girl who he later finds out is really a 15-year-old girl.

You just can’t make this **** up.

He is furious and has vowed to sue Amazon, and some people are saying he actually has something of a leg to stand on here since they signed them after they knew all the scurrilous details of his life. However, if he does choose to sue them he opens his life up to investigation and A legal process known as discovery, and something tells me that’s not exactly the route he wants to go.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could get very interesting......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hollywood's been there, done that......

Breezy

Breezy Poster

 

(from IMDb)

Breezy is a teen-aged hippy with a big heart. After taking a ride with a man who only wants her for sex, Breezy manages to escape. She runs to hide on a secluded property where stands the home of a middle-aged divorced man, Frank Harmon. Frank reluctantly takes Breezy in only to fall, unexpectedly, in love with her.

—Kelly


In this Counterculture vs. Establishment romance, Frank Harmon (William Holden) is a middle-aged businessman, recently divorced and a bit bitter about the state of his life and the world in general. One morning, he discovers a pretty, hippie-esque girl who calls herself Breezy (Kay Lenz) asleep on his front porch. Frank asks her to leave and she politely follows suit; she forgets her guitar, however, and returns the next day to retrieve it. Breezy also asks Frank if he would be so kind as to let her take a bath; he agrees, and even lets her sleep at his house that night. A few days later, Breezy turns up at again at Frank's doorstep, with a cop in tow -- after being arrested for vagrancy, she told the police that she lived here with her uncle Frank. Frank plays along and, against his better judgment, agrees to let her stay with him. After spending some time together, Frank and Breezy begin opening up to each other, discussing their feelings on a variety of issues. A friendship grows between them that, in time, becomes a love affair, but Frank's friends find fault in his new romance, and he breaks it off -- a decision he comes to regret. This was the first film Clint Eastwood directed in which he did not star, something he would not do again until Bird in 1988.

—Jack Herer

Oh and by the way has TCM ever show this?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Hollywood's been there, done that......

Breezy

Breezy Poster

 

(from IMDb)

Breezy is a teen-aged hippy with a big heart. After taking a ride with a man who only wants her for sex, Breezy manages to escape. She runs to hide on a secluded property where stands the home of a middle-aged divorced man, Frank Harmon. Frank reluctantly takes Breezy in only to fall, unexpectedly, in love with her.

—Kelly


In this Counterculture vs. Establishment romance, Frank Harmon (William Holden) is a middle-aged businessman, recently divorced and a bit bitter about the state of his life and the world in general. One morning, he discovers a pretty, hippie-esque girl who calls herself Breezy (Kay Lenz) asleep on his front porch. Frank asks her to leave and she politely follows suit; she forgets her guitar, however, and returns the next day to retrieve it. Breezy also asks Frank if he would be so kind as to let her take a bath; he agrees, and even lets her sleep at his house that night. A few days later, Breezy turns up at again at Frank's doorstep, with a cop in tow -- after being arrested for vagrancy, she told the police that she lived here with her uncle Frank. Frank plays along and, against his better judgment, agrees to let her stay with him. After spending some time together, Frank and Breezy begin opening up to each other, discussing their feelings on a variety of issues. A friendship grows between them that, in time, becomes a love affair, but Frank's friends find fault in his new romance, and he breaks it off -- a decision he comes to regret. This was the first film Clint Eastwood directed in which he did not star, something he would not do again until Bird in 1988.

—Jack Herer

Oh and by the way has TCM ever show this?

TCM has never shown BREEZY but Universal has rented it to MoviePlex, RetroPlex, etc., which is where I saw it a few years ago. 

We should be careful not to dismiss BREEZY because the subject matter might seem politically incorrect by today's standards.

First of all the older man is 50 (played by 54 year old William Holden) and the younger girl is 19 (played by 19 year old Kay Lenz). So they're both consenting adults. Just like Ruth Gordon's 79 year old character and Bud Cort's 18 year old character were consenting adults in HAROLD AND MAUDE, made a short time earlier.

BREEZY features one of Holden's very best performances. In addition to it being a "love" story between his character and the young waif played by Lenz, it's a cautionary tale about discarded feelings. Marj Dusay does a fine job as a more age-appropriate woman who can't face rejection and tries to kill herself. It's a story with a lot of complexity and everyone should have a chance to see it to draw their own conclusions. Shelving these films is not necessarily the answer.

Anyway, back to Woody Allen...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow never even heard of that one Joe. 

While I do think our culture has become a bit "overly sensitive" about some issues, predatory behavior is not one of them. 

I generally enjoy Woody Allen films, but find the man himself a creepster*. Any movie of his that deals with this subject is just distasteful & I wouldn't watch it anyway.

*an omni controlling mindset is what it takes to be a good director on the job....not a good quality in real relationships with real people.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw "Breezy" on a network station's LATE SHOW back in the '70's sometime....

Maybe Amazon's miffed because Woody either named the girl's character in the movie ALEXIS, or he didn't;)

OR----

Maybe he made the girl ASIAN and named her SIRI!  :o  :D

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

However, if he does choose to sue them he opens his life up to investigation and A legal process known as discovery, and something tells me that’s not exactly the route he wants to go.

Has he actually broken any laws though? I know many consider him creepy but I don't think he has really done anything illegal. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

Has he actually broken any laws though? I know many consider him creepy but I don't think he has really done anything illegal. 

Right. I wonder if this thread was created to attack Woody Allen. After all it was called "Woody Allen Has Been Shelved" instead of "Woody Allen's Latest Movie Has Been Shelved." 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another "middle-aged man sleeping with a teenager" plot?  Doesn't Woody have anything but art imitating life in his repertoire?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One unfounded allegation from decades ago. Hysterically deranged Farrow apparently brainwashed this feeb into making the allegation. Other kids in the house witnessed this and have stated so. Yet Farrow and her toxic brood have hammered on this for decades without an ounce of proof.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, not one actress he's ever worked with has come forward with any tales of abuse or sexual harassment. Just the usual "I'll never work with him again" blather as they fall in line, despite having had no bad experiences with Allen themselves.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Another "middle-aged man sleeping with a teenager" plot?  Doesn't Woody have anything but life imitating art in his repertoire?

Or is it art imitating life..?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Another "middle-aged man sleeping with a teenager" plot?  Doesn't Woody have anything but life imitating art in his repertoire?

It's on a par with RICHARD GERE directing and producing a six-episode Netflix documentary on the lives of Hamsters; like: gurl, guess you figure that if the rumor ain't ever gonna die, you may as well throw some gas on it, but I just don't think you're gonna come out winning in the end.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Another "middle-aged man sleeping with a teenager" plot?  Doesn't Woody have anything but life imitating art in his repertoire?

Classic Hollywood was famous for depicting these May-December relationships.

 

 

 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Classic Hollywood was famous for these May-December relationships.

 

I did not know this until recently, but apparently, in the late seventies, there was a major studio film starring RICHARD BURTON and TATUM O'NEAL as lovers.

BLECH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I did not realize this until recently, but apparently, in the late seventies, there was a major studio film starring RICHARD BURTON and TATUM O'NEAL as lovers.

BLECH!

What About Bogart (45) and Bacall (20) in To Have And Have Not (1944)?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Or is it art imitating life..?

OK.  Clearly I was under-caffeinated when I posted! It has been corrected.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, lydecker said:

OK.  Clearly I was under-caffeinated when I posted! It has been corrected.

Glad you're back to normal. :) 

***

There should be a tag on this thread that says #MeToo. Since this is obviously part of that over-arching discussion.

In my view the issue is turning liberals into conservatives, where they are now much more judgmental and censorious than ever before. What happened to liberals who were fair-minded and looked at issues carefully before rushing out to damn an artist/filmmaker...? Guess those days are gone!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Hollywood's been there, done that......

Breezy

Breezy Poster

 

(from IMDb)

Breezy is a teen-aged hippy with a big heart. After taking a ride with a man who only wants her for sex, Breezy manages to escape. She runs to hide on a secluded property where stands the home of a middle-aged divorced man, Frank Harmon. Frank reluctantly takes Breezy in only to fall, unexpectedly, in love with her.

—Kelly


In this Counterculture vs. Establishment romance, Frank Harmon (William Holden) is a middle-aged businessman, recently divorced and a bit bitter about the state of his life and the world in general. One morning, he discovers a pretty, hippie-esque girl who calls herself Breezy (Kay Lenz) asleep on his front porch. Frank asks her to leave and she politely follows suit; she forgets her guitar, however, and returns the next day to retrieve it. Breezy also asks Frank if he would be so kind as to let her take a bath; he agrees, and even lets her sleep at his house that night. A few days later, Breezy turns up at again at Frank's doorstep, with a cop in tow -- after being arrested for vagrancy, she told the police that she lived here with her uncle Frank. Frank plays along and, against his better judgment, agrees to let her stay with him. After spending some time together, Frank and Breezy begin opening up to each other, discussing their feelings on a variety of issues. A friendship grows between them that, in time, becomes a love affair, but Frank's friends find fault in his new romance, and he breaks it off -- a decision he comes to regret. This was the first film Clint Eastwood directed in which he did not star, something he would not do again until Bird in 1988.

—Jack Herer

Oh and by the way has TCM ever show this?

Yes, they have. I didnt watch it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drednm said:

One unfounded allegation from decades ago. Hysterically deranged Farrow apparently brainwashed this feeb into making the allegation. Other kids in the house witnessed this and have stated so. Yet Farrow and her toxic brood have hammered on this for decades without an ounce of proof.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, not one actress he's ever worked with has come forward with any tales of abuse or sexual harassment. Just the usual "I'll never work with him again" blather as they fall in line, despite having had no bad experiences with Allen themselves.

Well I believe Dylan!

The other actresses arent his "type" (too old!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Glad you're back to normal. :) 

***

There should be a tag on this thread that says #MeToo. Since this is obviously part of that over-arching discussion.

In my view the issue is turning liberals into conservatives, where they are now much more judgmental and censorious than ever before. What happened to liberals who were fair-minded and looked at issues carefully before rushing out to damn an artist/filmmaker...? Guess those days are gone!

It's also the PC idiocy going overboard too. You know, nothing natural is a straight line. everything undulates, a wave. It just looks to me that it's time for a slight course correction to flatten the "curve" so that it's not to radical. That is the key you gotta know how to steer things so you don't get outta control. 

I think the Conservatives kind of grabbed the wheel and are trying to steer the culture of America to the right with obvious B.S. and it didn't work. Same's gotta go to the Libs, you gotta stay in the middle or sway back and forth or at least just to the left of center line, or it too is going to look like a lot of B.S. which it does.

Ya gotta keep America in the middle to have the strongest culture.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread serves no purpose. The film has been shelved by Amazon for over a year. The only news is that Woody is now bringing suit against Amazon.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Classic Hollywood was famous for depicting these May-December relationships.

 

 

 
 

Wonder where they got the inspiration?

bechet_allen_woody_allen_1.jpg

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rented 'Breezy' once because it has Holden in it, and as my favorite male star I wanted to see how well he acquitted himself. The subject matter seemed the kind he could shine with.

There are a couple of his other late-career flicks I haven't sought out (even though I've heard/read about them, such as 'The Earthling' and 'Open Season') but anyway I did enjoy 'Breezy' to a mild degree. Was also curious to see one of Eastwood's earliest films.

'Breezy' is not an astounding film; but it is pleasant enough. Kay Lenz is charming and Holden gives his always standard level of competence. I don't think I've ever seen him really fail in a performance. I hadn't remembered that Holden's character (a real hound) spurns Lenz; I do remember that he seems to find himself and move on with his life. Overall it's a worthwhile movie as far as I'm concerned.

This comment by TB, is really salient when it comes to a flick like this:

Quote

We should be careful not to dismiss BREEZY because the subject matter might seem politically incorrect by today's standards.

So true! A lot of history and culture would fail to clear such a bar, were it applied stringently. What kind of narrow, frumpish, nimrod people would that make us? Modern-day Mayans, Philistines, Moabites? What the hell kind of small, frigid people are setting these 'standards' anyway? This pilgrim-mindset is a national embarrassment.

Oh by the way, there's a Jack Lemmon film which also explores this territory. The girl in question is a hitch-hiker played by ...oh, what's her name. She was in 'Billy Two-Hats' with Desi Arnaz Jr and Gregory Peck.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us