Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Why does TCM skip black history month every year..?

63 posts in this topic

I too, have long felt that what's relegated as "black history"  and any other contributions to the advancement and/or preservation of this nation made by African-American citizens since our independence be permeated throughout our American history textbooks. No need for limiting one short time of year for those history "lessons" because they'd already be routine information taught since "jump".

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

When I was in my first Masters Degree program, in education, a gal I studied with-- she was African American, and she did her grad thesis on Ebonics. She insisted that black children talk and listen differently than their white or non-black counterparts in the classroom. That's another topic for discussion, but according to her, blacks do not speak the same sort of English as the rest of America.

airplane-barbara-billingsley-i-speak-jiv

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fxreyman said:

Unfortunately, this happens from time to time around here when a poster starts to get a little agitated about the lack of whatever ills affect him in regard to the programming or other things written about TCM.

Yeah, look at the freak-out when TCM ran My Fair Lady as part of the salute to the National Film Registry back in November.

Perhaps TopBilled is expecting too much from TCM. I don't believe the channel started by Ted Turner is run the same any longer. Ted sells the company, then AT&T purchases that company.

TCM truly has cornered the market for what they do. They don't have any real reason to try harder, like they did in the beginning.

Many of the posts here are perfectly valid. I don't disagree with most of the opinions here.

I could get pretty excited to see TCM do the same thing Starz does. I would pay more than the $12/month it costs for Starz on Comcast.

As options for what TCM does expands, they could be sorry for not paying attention to our TopBilled. Nobody stays on top forever.

Okay, now here's MY opinion about all this!

Each day for a month, and I don't care WHICH month it is, OR what time of the day it is, TCM should show Blazing Saddles.

And so WHY, you ask?!

Well because, as Black Bart here says...

AND, because the following scene in that movie here...

...STILL cracks me up BIG time every time I watch it!

(...yep, THAT'S what they ought'a do, alright!)

LOL

1 minute ago, Michael Rennie said:

A little gas ... in stereo:

Ya know o' one with the terrific cheekbones, and perhaps it's kind'a funny in a strange or odd sort'a way, but while this scene might be one of the most memorable with the general public, personally I never found that scene to be all that funny somehow.

(...I've always just chalked this up to my, ahem, "elevated sense of sophistication"...yeah, THAT must be it!) ;)

14 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

You know, this is exactly what happens during budget negotiations.

15 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

A little gas ... in stereo:

Pee-yew! I'm a-gettin' outta here quick!

gemme air!

I wasn't aware that TCM skipped Black History month. I've been watching this station since it's inception and although I didn't see much attention administered to Black entertainers early on, that changed as the station got it's sea legs.  I have watched them, (TCM), do quite well in displaying the works of Black artists over the past years.  Actually, it was here that I first was introduced to the wonderful works of Oscar Micheaux, and other directors from the turn of the century (last).  So may I say with all due respect, that I must disagree with that observation. 

7 hours ago, jaerael@yahoo.com said:

I wasn't aware that TCM skipped Black History month. I've been watching this station since it's inception and although I didn't see much attention administered to Black entertainers early on, that changed as the station got it's sea legs.  I have watched them, (TCM), do quite well in displaying the works of Black artists over the past years.  Actually, it was here that I first was introduced to the wonderful works of Oscar Micheaux, and other directors from the turn of the century (last).  So may I say with all due respect, that I must disagree with that observation. 

Since you've resurrected this thread, I will mention that TCM is now publishing a book called "Hollywood Black."

I think it's available in May, and there will be a night of programming with films selected by the author.

Here's the article:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=1472566&name=Film-Historian-Donald-Bogle-Selects-4-Groundbreaking-Movies-for-Black-History-Month