Sign in to follow this  
Bogie56

Albert Finney (1935-2019)

39 posts in this topic

Albert-Finney-1964-Night-Must-Fall-press

What a loss!!  I don't have any details other than it was after a short illness.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

I always had a feeling that his performance as Kincaide -- the Bond family's longtime gamekeeper in 2012's 007 thriller "Skyfall" -- would be his last.

Too bad he never received an honorary Oscar after five nominations. He turned down a knighthood in 2000.

Related image

• Like 1

I'm very sorry to hear this. Finney gave us so many impressive performances over the years but, I guess, I will primarily remember him for one film which I saw at the show as a kid.

tom-jones-movie-poster-1963-1020298241_1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So sad...

He should have won an Oscar for his supporting role in Erin Brockovich. He was very good in a number of films.

He was wonderful as leading TV investigative newsman Jason Cromwell in 1990's HBO production of The Image.

s-l300.jpg.b86729982556bb4a0df6a5f634a3cdfd.jpg

• Like 2

OH, NO. He never won an Oscar either. Not even given an honorary one after all these years. :(

I wonder if TCM will do a tribute after Oscar month?

So sorry to hear this. A great actor. I love Tom Jones. He should have won the Oscar.

And he was brilliant as one of the screen's first angry young men, in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning:

SATURDAY-NIGHT-AND-SUNDAY-MORNING-image.

He was as brilliant on stage as he was in the movies. I saw him on stage three times: Macbeth (a problematic production, with Dorothy Tutin, but the acting was fine); Another Time, and Art.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another great star gone. It's often mis-reported that Albert Finney won an Oscar for Tom Jones, but he never won, although he was nominated 5 times between 1964 and 2001.

Sad to hear of his passing.  He once bragged about his hair (behind the scenes interview)

"Wolfen" (1981)

Albert-Finney-wolfen.jpg

Had to grin and bear it in "Annie" (1982)

Oh the pain.

rs-180507-174527854-2.jpg?crop=900:600&w

:lol:

• Like 1

Very sad to read about this. He was one of my favorites from the era, and one of the last of that generation of British stars still around. Along with the films mentioned above, I also enjoyed his work in Shoot the MoonThe Dresser, and Under the Volcano.

3815067286_e971024d69.jpg

Albert Finney's Hercule Poirot in Sidney Lumet's  "Murder on the Orient Express"  was the most authentic film portrayal to the Agatha Christie book.

Finney had to be a great actor to lead the cast  and be a stand out in a movie with actors and actresses like:

Ingrid Bergman, Sir John Gielgud, Vanessa Redgrave, Richard Widmark, Sean Connery and Tony Perkins.

'Tom Jones' naturally comes to mind first at the mention of his name - but then my mind invariably moves to 'Two for the Road' (1967). I related to him strongly in that movie back then. His anguish at the unfaithfulness of his woman felt very real to me.

• Like 1

Besides all his obvious great roles, I think Finney gave a marvelous performance in The Dresser, with Tom Courtenay.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GordonCole said:

Besides all his obvious great roles, I think Finney gave a marvelous performance in The Dresser, with Tom Courtenay.

For sure. Topped only by Courtenay himself.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if TCM is going to have a tribute evening for him (though it obviously should, since it's had them for much lesser actors), but if they do, they should have Shoot the Moon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skimpole said:

I don't know if TCM is going to have a tribute evening for him (though it obviously should, since it's had them for much lesser actors), but if they do, they should have Shoot the Moon.

If TCM does have a Finney tribute we will probably see it in March. I can't see them changing the schedule during Oscar month.

He was really good in a supporting role in BIG FISH.  ~RIP, Mr. Finney.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

What a loss!!  I don't have any details other than it was after a short illness.

I saw this on Yahoo! news: Finney succumbed to a chest infection, on 7 February 2019, at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Brompton, London, at the age of 82.[24][25][26]

This is very sad news.  I loved Albert Finney in Big Fish.  He and Ewan McGregor both did an excellent job playing the same character.  

I also really liked Finney in Two For the Road.  I thought that he and Audrey Hepburn gave a very realistic portrayal of a couple trying to figure out what events led to the infidelity (on both sides) in their long relationship.  They both seemed like they wanted to be together, but various events in their lives pulled them apart.  It was a very interesting film that I enjoyed immensely.  

Finney had such a diverse career.  I'll admit that I haven't seen many of his films.  I loathe Annie as much as I've loathed any film.  Annie is so annoying.  I only liked Carol Burnett's Miss Hannigan because she was mean to Annie.

I will need to get Tom Jones at the library, or wait for it to show up on TCM.  I've never seen it before.  

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I only liked Carol Burnett's Miss Hannigan because she was mean to Annie.

:lol: