Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Jerry Lewis

8 posts in this topic

I know when Jerry Lewis passed away around the Labor Day weekend before last Labor Day weekend.  Iliana Douglas sat down with Ben Mainkawitz and there were all kinds of pictures of him all around the studio and they paied tribute to him.  But they didn’t pay tribute to him this last Labor Day weekend/September did they?

Trivia...One of his last movies was a flop, "Hardly Working" (1980)

71PsI2NHu4L._SY445_.jpg

Try to get away with that today!

15603.jpg

Edited by hamradio
One more to go.

Somebody needs to watch The King of Comedy.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Somebody needs to watch The King of Comedy.

Never heard of him in that film, nor seen any TV ads.

Made changes on my OP to reflect your info

15 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Trivia...One of his last movies was a flop, "Hardly Working" (1980)

I guess that means his whole career was a waste.

25 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Never heard of him in that film [The King of Comedy], nor seen any TV ads.

Made changes on my OP to reflect your info

Haven't seen that film you say here, ham?

Good movie. Jerry tones his usual "HEY LADY!" act WAY down in it and proves he had some legit acting chops.

(...he's pretty much playing what Johnny Carson was reportedly like in real life and off-camera) 

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

I know when Jerry Lewis passed away around the Labor Day weekend before last Labor Day weekend. 

Yeah, I remember, when did that happen?  Wasn't it around, like Memorial Day, or thereabouts?

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

But they didn’t pay tribute to him this last Labor Day weekend/September did they?

This is now the second age-ambiguous David Guercio "Is TCM going to show more golly-neato stuff like cartoons?" question in one week that I've had to answer with ".....Nnnnno."

Think they had some crazy idea to program a "Workers" theme for Labor Day.  Unless it was some marathon that they could pre-program, and let the staff take the long weekend off, like most cable channels.

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Good movie. Jerry tones his usual "HEY LADY!" act WAY down in it and proves he had some legit acting chops.

(...he's pretty much playing what Johnny Carson was reportedly like in real life and off-camera) 

In fact, Johnny Carson reportedly turned down the role, thinking audiences would be confused, so, ahem, MARTIN SCORSESE cast Lewis instead.

Otherwise, as for Lewis's own comedies, "The Nutty Professor" is still his most disciplined and focus/reined-in one yet.  And yes, I've already done the thread about how Jerry's obnoxious Buddy Love alter-ego was "really" Frank Sinatra, not Dean Martin, and if you go in knowing that, his performance is either hilarious or scary, or both.  :D