Sign in to follow this  
vafancool

The Swap

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone here seen the '79 Robert De Niro movie The Swap?  I'm intrigued by an excerpt, apparently from the film's Wikipedia page, that I read in an eBay listing for the DVD.  According to that listing,

"In 1969, a young Robert De Niro starred in a drama called Sam's Song. It made little profit but it got him noticed. Ten years later, a filmmaker wanted to get De Niro onto his project but didn't have the resources to do it. So he took to stealing much of Sam's Song and incorporating it into his own film. The result was The Swap.

Robert De Niro was angered that Cannon Films took his previously shot footage and inserted it into an entirely new film and legal action was almost taken."

I would go ahead and buy a copy for curiosity alone, but I'm hoping someone here can tell me if it's a stinker or not.

1 hour ago, vafancool said:

Has anyone here seen the '79 Robert De Niro movie The Swap?  I'm intrigued by an excerpt, apparently from the film's Wikipedia page, that I read in an eBay listing for the DVD.  According to that listing,

"In 1969, a young Robert De Niro starred in a drama called Sam's Song. It made little profit but it got him noticed. Ten years later, a filmmaker wanted to get De Niro onto his project but didn't have the resources to do it. So he took to stealing much of Sam's Song and incorporating it into his own film. The result was The Swap.

Robert De Niro was angered that Cannon Films took his previously shot footage and inserted it into an entirely new film and legal action was almost taken."

I would go ahead and buy a copy for curiosity alone, but I'm hoping someone here can tell me if it's a stinker or not.

It's awful. The Swap focuses on a character played by the terrible Anthony Charnota. He's supposed to be the De Niro character's brother investigating what happened to him. The newer stuff also has cult movie queen Sybil Danning, as well as the late Lisa Blount (Prince of DarknessAn Officer and a Gentleman). If you're a De Niro fan like myself, it's worth watching once just to say you've seen it, but it's nothing you're likely to want to revisit very often.

However, since it's in the public domain, it's available in various formats very cheaply. I first saw it in the early 90's on VHS with the title Line of Fire. The cover-box featured a picture of De Niro from Goodfellas!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

t's awful. The Swap focuses on a character played by the terrible Anthony Charnota. He's supposed to be the De Niro character's brother investigating what happened to him. The newer stuff also has cult movie queen Sybil Danning

It sure is. The character played by Sybil Danning in the new footage was played by a different actress (Jennifer Warren) in the old footage!

The original "Sam's Song", while not very good, is much better than the "The Swap". I recall seeing it on late night TV many years ago. It's arty and slow moving but DeNiro does a good job.