Sign in to follow this  
JeanneCrain

For the “Black Month Crowd”

40 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

PBS 2/17 Independent Lens:

Episode: “Hale County This Morning, This Evening” 2019 documentary looks at the lives of black men over a five-year period.

💋

Thanks for the reminder! It's a 2018 film nominated for the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.

It's a look at rural Alabama families by the first-time filmmaker RaMell Ross (pictured below). Last month, the documentary won the top prize from the Cinema Eye Honors for Nonfiction Filmmaking. It was voted the award for Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Feature Filmmaking.

DwjTOrRXgAIfGGY.jpg

The other day PBS aired an interesting documentary on Idi Amin, it was a newly released episode of “The Dictator’s Playbook”…recommended viewing.

Idi-Amin_2776190b.jpg

💋

• Like 1

I recently recalled an old conversation( 'bout 25+ years ago...) with a black co-worker about the old "Amos'n'Andy" TV show.  

I said how much I liked the show and how FUNNY I thought it was and wondered why they quit showing the old reruns.

HE said something about the show (despite the innovation of an all black cast television show made in the '50's) being "offensive" to African-Americans and HAD to be removed.

I disagreed.  He then asked me...

"What did you think black folks were LIKE after watching that show?"  I told him even though I was very young at the time, I knew well enough that the people you see on TV shows were NOTHING LIKE people REALLY are, and only thought about how FUNNY I thought the program was.  "After all...." I asked him,  "You didn't think WHITE PEOPLE were really like LAUREL and HARDY or THE THREE STOOGES, did you?"  ;)

I then (IMHO) pointed out that his presumption about how ALL white people thought was just as racist as how some white people presumed ALL black people behaved.  

Now, I can CLEARLY understand umbrage at the old "Amos'n'Andy" radio show( white guys stereotypicallly affectating African-American speech) and the old MOVIES( a couple of white guys in "blackface") , but the '50's TV show(and as previously stated) with an all black cast seemed light years ahead of it's time.

Sepiatone

PBS airing an episode of American Masters entitled, “Sammy Davis Jr.”…check your local listings.

YW 💋

"Black Month"? 

Kinda sounds dismissively racist.......

I'm eagerly waiting for more recommendations from JC for people of the "Black" persuasion... 

Kinda sounds like JC doesn't want that "crowd" on TCM, tell us it isn't true JC.

19 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I'm eagerly waiting for more recommendations from JC for people of the "Black" persuasion... 

Kinda sounds like JC doesn't want that "crowd" on TCM, tell us it isn't true JC.

What exactly is the TCM 'crowd'..?

7 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

PBS airing an episode of American Masters entitled, “Sammy Davis Jr.”…check your local listings.

YW 💋

That was on last night.  As one who's always liked Davis as a singer/dancer/actor and all around entertainer, I found it very interesting.  Surely, another one of the dwindling "multi-threat" entertainers.  But one "aspect" of Sammy reminded me of a quip my Dad once said....

"Y'know, playing marbles with him and PETER FALK can probably get CREEPY sometimes."  :D

Sepiatone

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

That was on last night.  As one who's always liked Davis as a singer/dancer/actor and all around entertainer, I found it very interesting.  Surely, another one of the dwindling "multi-threat" entertainers.  But one "aspect" of Sammy reminded me of a quip my Dad once said....

"Y'know, playing marbles with him and PETER FALK can probably get CREEPY sometimes."  :D

Sepiatone

Wow, what a fantastic "I've Gotta Be Me" documentary, best I’ve seen all BLACK MONTH! 👍

The humility Sammy endured attempting to survive social acceptance as an uneducated, professionally talented black man upon a white man’s world stage was immensely admirable…humbling as well as tearfully despicable socially. 😂

💋

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2019 at 10:34 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

So that means Bollywood films are included?

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Wow! And here I thought that YouTube video I posted the other day around here of Sue Thompson singing her one big hit "Norman (ooh ohh ooh ooh ooh ooh)" sounded like one of Dave Seville's chipmunks!

(...heck, in THIS regard, Sue ain't got NOTHIN' on this Indian chick here!!!)

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Wow! And here I thought that YouTube video I posted the other day around here of Sue Thompson singing her one big hit "Norman (ooh ohh ooh ooh ooh ooh)" sounded like one of Dave Seville's chipmunks!

I would have found Norman more attractive if he wore tan shoes with pink shoelaces and a big Panama hat with a purple headband to incite enough "Ooh Oohs" that Gunther Toody would be jealous of him, Dargo.

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2019 at 8:55 PM, Dargo said:

It's even funnier because Asha Bhosle didn't use the falsetto as much as her sister, Lata Mangeshkar, did in their 50+ year careers. In the beginning, Lata used more of her vocal range, but the more popular songs included the higher range singing. Therefore, more songs were written to showcase it and it just snowballed from there.

The early Bollywood system had movie studios employing certain singers for an entire soundtrack. In addition, actor/actress lock in happens with playback singers where the audience expects a certain voice with a certain star. From the 1940s up until the 1980s, there were a very small group of Indian playback singers, with the 2 sisters getting most of the female playback songs. Their main female competition died of alcoholism. Their male counterparts all died off in the 1970s and 1980s and then needed to be replaced. Those male singers sound eerily close to their predecessors. It's like there is a formula for playback singing stardom and very little deviation.

Currently, the trend is to hire for specific songs, however the falsetto voice remains a fixture. The top female singers all use similar falsetto voices, because it's been popular for so long. I find that type of female voice annoying at times, so I actually prefer the male singers.

Indian songs written for the female voice are written at the higher octave. My guess is because that is part of the cultural expectations for femininity: youth, docility, fragility, etc.

Indian classical music training has way more variation compared to the popular film music.