Sign in to follow this  
JeanneCrain

For the “Black Month Crowd”

40 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

Independent Lens; “Black Memorabilia” (2019) check your local PBS listings.

💋

Thanks for mentioning this. Good to know!

"Black Month"? 

Kinda sounds dismissively racist.......

Whaddya call the third Monday of January?  --------

"JAMES EARL RAY Day"?  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

"Black Month"? 

Kinda sounds dismissively racist.......

Whaddya call the third Monday of January?  --------

"JAMES EARL RAY Day"?  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

I don't think she meant any real harm. I am wondering if she hasn't had any meaningful interactions with minorities.

To be clear:

FEBRUARY is technically known as African American History Month

MARCH is National Women's History Month

MAY is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

JUNE is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think she meant any real harm. I am wondering if she hasn't had any meaningful interactions with minorities.

To be clear:

I guess this is what you like to refer as to diversity.... And I have to wonder if you'd like to see TCM present films from each one of these groups to raise awareness for them or at least acknowledge their existence and better inform TCM's audience of this diversity?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I believe it's "Black History Month."

So that means Bollywood films are included?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

I guess this is what you like to refer as to diversity.... And I have to wonder if you'd like to see TCM present films from each one of these groups to raise awareness for them or at least acknowledge their existence and better inform TCM's audience of this diversity?

I refer to diversity as connecting historically disenfranchised groups with the mainstream. If European American cultures were marginalized, I would be advocating for diversity on their behalf. 

Anyway, I'm not sure if TCM's had a monthly spotlight on Asian American culture (which is wide ranging and includes immigrants from many different Pacific Rim countries). But TCM has had spotlights on blacks, women and gays.

I don't think these spotlights should ever be one-time occasions. These themes should be regularly revisited by TCM's programming department. Obviously the themes can occur any month of the year. But as we've seen with them showing black experience films on MLK's birthday, there is the idea that scheduling these titles can be timely. From both a marketing standpoint and a general awareness point of view.

We already have another thread about films related to Black History Month. So I am not going to really comment much more on this thread, because it will just seem like the same argument being repeated. Thanks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

Mercy

💋

I read up on this group last night after seeing your post. It also caused me to read up on Madonna's charity work in Malawi. There are very specific issues with regards to South African culture that are playing out in the news these days. Music videos are not always known for realism...instead, they seem primarily concerned with making provocative artistic statements.

Die Antwoord literally translates as The Answer. And the answer may be different for each person who becomes actively involved in what's occurring in South Africa.

23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

To be clear:

"Awareness" of these various ethnicities and groups of peoples doesn't really do much to promote "diversity", but rather, does do much to educate others as to their way of life and any "promotion" is showing there's really NOTHING to fear from any of them. 

And BTW JAMES----

What the HELL do BOLLYWOOD films have to do with Black history?  :huh:

If ANYTHING, Bollywood is the ONLY film industry that can make the TRUE "Cowboys and Indians" movies!  ;)  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I refer to diversity as connecting historically disenfranchised groups with the mainstream. If European American cultures were marginalized, I would be advocating for diversity on their behalf. 

Anyway, I'm not sure if TCM's had a monthly spotlight on Asian American culture (which is wide ranging and includes immigrants from many different Pacific Rim countries). But TCM has had spotlights on blacks, women and gays.

I don't think these spotlights should ever be one-time occasions. These themes should be regularly revisited by TCM's programming department. Obviously the themes can occur any month of the year. But as we've seen with them showing black experience films on MLK's birthday, there is the idea that scheduling these titles can be timely. From both a marketing standpoint and a general awareness point of view.

We already have another thread about films related to Black History Month. So I am not going to really comment much more on this thread, because it will just seem like the same argument being repeated. Thanks.

Yes, Asians on film was done years ago as part of TCM's annual series of minorities on film.  http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/196827|0/Race-Hollywood-Asian-Images-in-Film-Tuesdays-Thursdays-in-June-.html

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2019 at 6:16 AM, TopBilled said:

To be clear:

And don't forget...

SEPTEMBER is Jimmy Durante Month

(...and especially for those of us now of a certain age, and regardless their race, color, creed or sexual orientation, of which this song's message is starting to ring truer and truer every day) ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

And don't forget...

SEPTEMBER is Jimmy Durante Month

(...and especially for those of us now of a certain age of which this song's message is starting to ring truer and truer every day) ;)

How did I miss that one! Thanks Dargo. Nobody nose Jimmy Durante like you do! :) 

30 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

1502070422_septembersong.jpg.54fb176f790d9834a4a95c4a769c8f6e.jpg

Funny you bring Willie Nelson's version of this song into this now, Mr. Rennie!

You see, I do a GREAT impression of Willie singing.

(...and it gets even BETTER when I take my left hand, pinch my nostrils closed and then let loose with my singing!!!)

I hope you know that as soon as Tom up there in the frozen north sees this, there's a very good chance he'll now post that Walter Huston version of it he loves so much. ;)

24 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I hope you know that as soon as Tom up there in the frozen north sees this, there's a very good chance he'll now post that Walter Huston version of it he loves so much. ;)

Here you go, Dargo.

Whoops, wrong video, different mood. I'll try again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/12/2019 at 11:34 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

So that means Bollywood films are included?

I wouldn't know, I'd be one of the worst to ask.  My guess is no.

Oops wait there are a few open months. http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

PBS 2/17 Independent Lens:

Episode: “Hale County This Morning, This Evening” 2019 documentary looks at the lives of black men over a five-year period.

💋