Sign in to follow this  
JeanneCrain

Predator on the Reservation

20 posts in this topic

New Frontline episode, check your local PBS listings.

Reminiscent to religious cults moving their suspected pedophiles from one location to another, the federal “Indian Health Service” agency moved Dr. Stanley Patrick Weber from reservation to reservation, introducing instead of protecting children from his predatory pedophile behavior.

Enjoy :blink:

💋

I thought it odd that the word "Indian" was used here.

I always kiked the part in the movie QUIZ SHOW when John Turturro, as Herb Stempel is talking about how "Indian" got into the American vernacular----

"When Columbus landed in the Caribbean Islands, he really did believe he found a new route to INDIA, and referred to the natives as such.  That's right, (he laughed) They're called INDIANS because the WHITE GUY got LOST!"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

Very amusing. But there were hundreds of individual tribes --I wonder what succinct/generic name useful to encompass all of them at once, throughout all the Americas--would have suited the situation better?

Here's a map of the N. American tribes

https://tinyurl.com/y82yxtp6

3 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Very amusing. But there were hundreds of individual tribes --I wonder what succinct/generic name useful to encompass all of them at once, throughout all the Americas--would have suited the situation better?

Here's a map of the N. American tribes

https://tinyurl.com/y82yxtp6

How about Americans? 

Amerigo Vespucci came along much later, I seem to recall. Amerigo Verrazanno? Aaargh. Anyway, anything's better than 'Columbians'

Ya know, up there in the frozen north (aka, the country of Canada) they call 'em "First Nation People".

I remember being enlightened to this the second time I ventured up to British Columbia to visit my newfound birthmother's family about ten years ago now, and when after the topic of the indigenous people of Arizona came up in conversation and I referred to them as "Indians", my half-brother (I'd guess you'd call him) Grant, a professor of Computer Science at Waterloo University in Ontario, looked at me a bit askance and said, "Well, WE call them 'First Nation People' up here."

(...still though, I sure as hell hope for brevity's sake alone that they'll never have to change the name of that last motorcycle acquisition of mine out there in the garage...nope, just can't imagine ridin' ANY motorcycle with the name, "First Nation People" emblazoned upon its gas tank, instead of just the name "Indian" on it!)

;)

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ya know, up there in the frozen north (aka, the country of Canada) they call 'em "First Nation People".

I remember being enlightened to this the second time I ventured up to British Columbia to visit my newfound birthmother's family about ten years ago now, and when after the topic of the indigenous people of Arizona came up in conversation and I referred to them as "Indians", my half-brother (I'd guess you'd call him) Grant, a professor of Computer Science at Waterloo University in Ontario, looked at me a bit askance and said, "Well, WE call them 'First Nation People' up here."

(...still though, I sure as hell hope for brevity sake's alone that they'll never have to change the name of that last motorcycle acquisition of mine out there in my garage...nope, just can't imagine ridin' ANY motorcycle with the name, "First Nation People" emblazoned upon its gas tank, instead of just the name "Indian" on it!)

;)

Cleveland First Nation Peoples?   I don't know if that works.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Technically, didn't the so-called "First Nations" groups ethnically cleanse other, earlier nations that were forced to migrate further south?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Technically, didn't the so-called "First Nations" groups ethnically cleanse other, earlier nations that were forced to migrate further south?

I think you're thinking of the Kennewick Man and Soultrean Hypothesis which are heavily debated topics because many argue that the bone structure of the remains more resembles caucasoid people than native americans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennewick_Man#Race_factor

49 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Image result for elizabeth warren native american

One is like the others but only a teeny-weeny bit.

50 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

surprise! I wasn't invited.

Yeah but, I DO know what the guy she hopes to be running against in two years is, Nip!

Uh-huh, now HE's 100%............

(...ahem...well, I better not say that here, huh dude...well, not unless we want THIS thread moved to that "other" forum, anyway) ;)

LOL

14 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I thought it odd that the word "Indian" was used here.

I always kiked the part in the movie QUIZ SHOW when John Turturro, as Herb Stempel is talking about how "Indian" got into the American vernacular----

"When Columbus landed in the Caribbean Islands, he really did believe he found a new route to INDIA, and referred to the natives as such.  That's right, (he laughed) They're called INDIANS because the WHITE GUY got LOST!"  :D 

Sepiatone

You worry about the word "Indian" but you use a word like "kiked?"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Just proves that it pays to proofread.  :wacko:  ;)

Sepiatone

It was hard for me to typed the word incorrectly in response to your post, it kept jumping into "liked." So you must have made a real effort! 

Actually, considering WHAT the typo WAS, I'm surprised "Otto" here DIDN'T *** it out!  ;)

Sepiatone