Sign in to follow this  
Stephan55

MUSIC THAT INFLUENCED "ME" GROWING-UP

42 posts in this topic

55 years ago my family had a beatles 45 with Help on one side and three dog night on the reverse.

boy, we shoulda held on to that...

perry como?...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My father belonged to a church bowling team and sometimes he'd take me along. I was just

a kid and had little interest in bowling. I just liked to run around the bowling alley and eat

junk food and drink cokes. Occasionally I would sit at a table and watch the bowling. There

was also some kind of sound system that played music. The one song I remember hearing

was Walk Right In. It had a nice melody and those crazy lyrics. I got a kick whenever it was

played at the bowling alley. It still sounds pretty cool.

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2019 at 5:53 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I bought my first Yardbirds record in 65, "For Your Love". I was always disappointed that they didn't go further in the charts or in American popularity. Technically they were A Cut Above the Rest. And their debut number was Superior to anything The Byrds or The Rolling Stones had done for their first outing.

All their numbers were good and I thought all their records were worth buying, but my favorite was "Over Under Sideways Down Backward Forward Square and Round"-- I think that's right because it's been quite a few years.

I lost track of Jeff Beck in the 70s, but found him around the mid-80s in an album with Rod Stewart: "Infatuation".  Of course, their tour never quite got off the ground for obvious internecine squabbling. Though the two of them did a nice version of "All Right Now" in that album.

Then much to my amazement in recent years Jeff hooked up with Brian Wilson. Apparently that worked for a little while too.

for Princess,

Yardbirds - For Your Love (1965)

The Yardbirds- Over, Under, Sideways, Down

Rod Stewart (with Jeff Beck) 1984 Infatuation - LIVE!

Rod Stewart - All Right Now (Vinyl)

Brian Wilson with Jeff Beck - Our Prayer / Child Is Father To The Man / Surfs Up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephan55 said:

for Princess,
The Yardbirds- Over, Under, Sideways, Down

Rod Stewart (with Jeff Beck) 1984 Infatuation - LIVE!

Rod Stewart - All Right Now (Vinyl)

Brian Wilson with Jeff Beck - Our Prayer / Child Is Father To The Man / Surfs Up

Stephan, many thanks and you have infatuated me!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Stephen, many thanks

Missed one I just edited in (at the top of my last post above) enjoy :)

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2019 at 5:36 PM, cigarjoe said:

Great string of nostalgia there CJ.
I fondly remember each as if it were yesterday, thanks

Imagine, almost sixty years ago, two little kids, one on the west coast, and 2,500 miles away, another over on the east coast, and they may have been listening to the exact same music at the same time. Probably both humming, whistling or singing the same tunes, with their little transister radios held up to their ears.

I do believe that music can create a bond of "sameness" that transcends all distances and boundaries. :)

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, NipkowDisc said:

55 years ago my family had a beatles 45 with Help on one side and three dog night on the reverse.

boy, we shoulda held on to that...

perry como?...

SCTV - Perry Como Still Alive

:lol:
Too funny Nipper,
These Perry Como songs were often on the radio when I was a kid.
(I ended up memorizing the lyrics of the last two). :)

Perry Como - Catch a Falling Star (Audio)

Perry Como - And I Love You So (Lyrics)

Perry Como "It's Impossible"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2019 at 8:49 PM, Vautrin said:

My father belonged to a church bowling team and sometimes he'd take me along. I was just

a kid and had little interest in bowling. I just liked to run around the bowling alley and eat

junk food and drink cokes. Occasionally I would sit at a table and watch the bowling. There

was also some kind of sound system that played music. The one song I remember hearing

was Walk Right In. It had a nice melody and those crazy lyrics. I got a kick whenever it was

played at the bowling alley. It still sounds pretty cool.

The rooftop singers Walk right in (1963)

Ha ha, I remember that one, thank you so much. 
A year or so later these songs came out and for some reason I kinda have them all jumbled together with the Rooftop Singers (in an appealing way).
They were so catchy that I even memorized the lyrics to King of the Road and Flowers On the Wall.

Roger Miller - King of the Road - With Lyrics! (1965)

Roger Miller "Dang Me" (1964)

Roger Miller - England Swings (1965)

The Statler Brothers - Flowers On The Wall 1966 (Country Music Greats)

Daddy Sang Bass By The Statler Brothers

29 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Ha ha, I remember that one, thank you so much. 
A year or so later these songs came out and for some reason I kinda have them all jumbled together with the Rooftop Singers (in an appealing way).
They were so catchy that I even memorized the lyrics to King of the Road

Stephan, I remember when Roger Miller became a big star and had all those hit records.

But I have to tell you long before that he had written a hit record for Andy Williams. Before anyone had ever heard of "Moon River".

And Up until his death, Andy performed the song at his theater in Branson.

I'm going to attempt to give you the title right now from memory:

In the summertime when all the trees and leaves are green and the Red Bird Sings I'll be blue cause you don't want my love.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Stephen, I remember when Roger Miller became a big star and had all those hit records.

But I have to tell you long before that he had written a hit record for Andy Williams. Before anyone had ever heard of "Moon River".

And Up until his death, Andy performed the song at his theater in Branson.

I'm going to attempt to give you the title right now from memory:

In the summertime when all the trees and leaves are green and the Red Bird Sings I'll be blue cause you don't want my love.

Andy Williams and Roger Miller - (In The Summertime) You Don't Want My Love (1960)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRuzBp7eIP8

Thanks Princess, I remember the song, but not much about the history around it, so I just checked it out.
In 1960 the song, written & performed by Roger Miller, was also recorded by Andy Williams, and The Chordettes, Skeeter Davis, and Teresa Brewer in 1961.
But the lasting impact was not held by either Miller, nor any of the female artists, but as you said it was good old Andy ("Moon River") Williams.

BTW, I fell in love with "Moon River" off the radio, long before I ever saw Breakfast at Tiffany's. It was another song that I liked so much that I memorized.

Moon River - Andy Williams

Audrey Hepburn - Moon River (Best Version)

• Thanks 1

I remember the first song I ever learned. I was in a car with my grandmother and her friend. My uncle was driving. My grandmother and her friend sang "The Sidewalks of New York." I liked it so much I made them sing it again and again, and I learned it. I must have been four years old, or something like that. It's still my favorite New York song. I deeply resent that this great song has been overshadowed  by that vulgar "Start spreading the news..." song.

Here's the song with the story of its creation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Swithin said:

I remember the first song I ever learned. I was in a car with my grandmother and her friend. My uncle was driving. My grandmother and her friend sang "The Sidewalks of New York." I liked it so much I made them sing it again and again, and I learned it. I must have been four years old, or something like that. It's still my favorite New York song. I deeply resent that this great song has been overshadowed  by that vulgar "Start spreading the news..." song.

The Sidewalks of New York

Great remembrance story Swithin. And the narration and vintage photos reminded me of something right out of a PBS documentary. That song is a classic and I've never heard it sung just like this before.
Very sweet, almost like an homage to a bygone era.
Thank you, and please share again.

King of the Road was a wonderful sing and snap fingers along to song as was

Flowers on the Wall (minus the finger snapping). Walk Right In must have been

a one hit wonder because I don't recall The Rooftop Singers having another hit song. 

8 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

These Perry Como songs were often on the radio when I was a kid.
(I ended up memorizing the lyrics of the last two).

This Como song too.

15 hours ago, Swithin said:

This was such a sweet and nostalgic song; we used to sing it in school.

I liked it so much that I used it in my tap dance classes to teach one of the basic tap dance steps: the waltz clog.

I thought that was fitting because of the times the song reflected-- performers were probably tap dancing to it in Vaudeville.

• Like 1