Sign in to follow this  
DickLindsay

more interesting movie photos..........

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, and HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

Here are some interesting photos, as alwsays thanks in advance for any help!

1. This one is interesting; the code on the bottom says DH-2.  If this is from a film, the 'DH' could be DARK HORSE or DOUBLE HARNESS but I don't recognize anyone from the cast of those films that might be this young man.  Ideas?

2-9.JPG

2. & 3.  The number on the bottom of these two photos is 838, and that translates to A TALE OF TWO CITIES? is that correct?  probably couple of the character actors in the film.

2-1.JPG
2-2.JPG

4.  Actually, the back of tghis photo has an MGM stamp, and the young man is RAYMOND HACKETT. He married silent star BLANCHE SWEET

2-3.JPG

5. I recognize FAY HOLDEN, and the film is CRIME OF DR FORBES, but who is the man to the right of Ms. Holden?

2-4.JPG

6. Another HAROLD LLOYD film, but no identifiers.  anyone know film name?

2-5.JPG

7. This one has an ID on the bottom right, MC which, according to my book, might be MELODY CRUISE from RKO?

2-6.JPG

8. this is BACK DOOR TO HEAVEN and the woman (i believe) is IRIS ADRIAN, the guy is ???
2-7.JPG

9. I'm not sure on this one, code is 332 but it doesn't look like MGMs handwriting......
2-8.JPG

#7 looks like Lyle Talbot and Ann Dvorak. They were in Love Is a RacketThree On a MatchStranger in TownCollege CoachHeat Lightning together, as well as Murder in the Clouds. That last one could be the "MC", as it also had Henry O'Neill, which appears to be the man on the left.

#5...the woman is Sara Haden, not Fay Holden, and the man next to her is Russell Simpson.

#2 & #3...A Tale of Two Cities. Ronald Colman on the left of both pictures. I believe the man on the right in #2 is Walter Catlett. Not sure about the man on right in #3.

The old guy in #3 is Claude Gillingwater.

#8 looks like Wally Ford

#9 looks like Garbo

Now this is a long shot, but I wonder if #1 is a very young Alan Ladd

well, #9 IS garbo; from THE TEMPTRESS; i found an image with the same dress! thanks!

2 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

so. . . .who's the guy? Antonio Moreno?

Doesn't look like him, nor anyone else in the cast. Maybe it's from another film, and Garbo wore a similar dress.

I have one more, i know the film: ITS LOVE I'M AFTER.  However, its the dinner table scene and I recognize only Bonita Granville standing in the front.  ANy chance those with their backs to the camera are either BETTE DAVIS or Olivia De Havilland??

sdw0008a.JPG

2 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Doesn't look like him, nor anyone else in the cast. Maybe it's from another film, and Garbo wore a similar dress.

I think I have it.  The image is from The Divine Woman (1928).  Compare:

MV5BZjM2NzllNDYtYWM3OS00YTIyLThjYjctZjQy

So my guess is it is Lars Hanson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DickLindsay said:

I have one more, i know the film: ITS LOVE I'M AFTER.  However, its the dinner table scene and I recognize only Bonita Granville standing in the front.  ANy chance those with their backs to the camera are either BETTE DAVIS or Olivia De Havilland??

sdw0008a.JPG

Without going to the trouble of watching the movie:  that should be from the part of the movie when he (Howard) goes to the nut-case's (played by De Havilland) house.  And the woman with her back to us has a hair style similar to hers.  And she has a petite figure.  So that could be her.  

#6 is the Harold Lloyd short "Get Out And Get Under" from 1920.  He rushes  to the church to try to stop a wedding.  The bride and groom in the front are Mildred Davis (Harold's real life wife), and Fred McPherson.

Still no. 1 is a portrait of someone with the initials DH, not from a film whose title has those initials. And it is definitely from RKO Radio, about 1933. So who is the RKO actor from about 1933 with the initials DH?

Confirming a couple of others:

No. 7 is from "Murder In the Clouds" (1934) - Warner Bros.

No. 8 - the guy is Wallace Ford.

12 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Without going to the trouble of watching the movie:  that should be from the part of the movie when he (Howard) goes to the nut-case's (played by De Havilland) house.  And the woman with her back to us has a hair style similar to hers.  And she has a petite figure.  So that could be her.  

The gal wearing white on the left in the seat closes to the camera is Olivia.   She is sitting next to her boyfriend in the film,  Patrick Knowles.    Howard hasn't entered the scene yet and Bette doesn't join the 'party' until later in the Afternoon (this is a breakfast scene where the best part is when Howard asks for kippers for breakfast).

PS:  Other well known supporting players are Bonita Granville (teen standing up),  George Barbier (nest to Bonita) and next to Knowles,  but can't be seen, the always lovable Spring Byington.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hello Jamesjazzguitar: thanks so much! I saw the film many years ago;its fun but I don't remember those specific details!  thanks again!

3 hours ago, DickLindsay said:

hello Jamesjazzguitar: thanks so much! I saw the film many years ago;its fun but I don't remember those specific details!  thanks again!

Glad I could help;  I really love It's Love I'm After and it is one of my favorite 30s comedies.   Of course there are some first rate actors in the film, in Howard and Davis;  they enjoyed making this film after the two dramas they made,  Of Human Bondage and The Petrified Forest.    (and of course DeHavilland would mature into a first rate, Oscar winning actress,  but at this stage of her career was learning the ropes).

Nice to see an actual Warner's Bro.  promo photo.    These are getting more rare as time passes.  I have a few of them from various WB films,   mostly of Davis or DeHavilland.     Note that they are clearly stamped that they can only be used 'by permission'.    Don't worry,  I'm not telling anyone (ha ha).

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Glad I could help;  I really love It's Love I'm After and it is one of my favorite 30s comedies.  

It's coming up again on TCM on May 2.

hi all, I'm still trying to identify the young man in photo #1.  It was suggested (by a film scholar) to me that the coding on the bottom indicates a character actor, 1932-1933, from RKO.  Well, I went through every film made during that period at RKO, and I have only been able to come up with  the name of 'oscar dutch hendrian'/  I am trying to find an early photo of him; the NC on the bottom of this photo corresponds with a warners title NARROW CORNER. But more importantly, he was in  many RKO films in the 1932-1933 period. thanks!