Stephan55

THE GET SMART THREAD

79 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Didn't know where to post this so I'm doing it here;    I just received an email security alert from TCM that someone using a different IP address has been trying to sign in as 'me'.    The message said I should change my password.

Only Sybil would attempt to do such a thing,  right?

That guy has a real screw loose. I would try PMing one of the moderators to see if they know who's trying to do it.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

p.s. I'm not benefiting from most of this thread of course, since I hardly ever watch 'Youtube' videos...but yeah its still a great thread.

But you do have a PC and can access and watch the videos via the links here right???? :huh:

The reason being is I have a string of hopefully "insightful" little 'Youtube' videos lined up (on a variety of subjects) that I wish to post (a little at a time, of course). And I was hoping to stimulate others (including yourself) to voice their impressions as well as adding their own to the collection in whatever tangent it leads them to do so. :)

ahoy there! To answer plainly and simply....no...even on a laptop or a PC (which is all I use) I still don't watch Youtube more than say, 3-4 times in an entire year. Month to month, I only visit maybe 7 or 8 different websites total.

If you want to stimulate me on some historical topic or whatever, I need something I can read.

p.s. good job on Sardinia earlier this week

Just now, Sgt_Markoff said:

ahoy there! To answer plainly and simply....no...even on a laptop or a PC (which is all I use) I still don't watch Youtube more than say, 3-4 times in an entire year. Month to month, I only visit maybe 7 or 8 different websites total.

Would you consider making an exception if only for this thread? :unsure:
I really wish to include you in any discussion, and the little videos that I have lined up may prove to be quite interesting... (at least I hope so) even to one as intellectually diverse as yourself.
In fact that is what the aim is, to stimulate all of us intellectually (in an entertaining way of course).
And your insightful injections can be beneficial to all of us.

Come on Sarge, don't just "go by the book" here.
Show some of that initiative you displayed in Beau Geste when you fooled those Bedouins into thinking that the fort was fully manned, when it really wasn't... ;):)

3 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

fun to skim on Gutenberg

Yes, truly.
Thanks for reminding me.
In this threads reserved post I will include all those "World Library" links that I posted in the "birds" thread.

Unfortunately, I really can't make any promises. I appreciate your seeking my inclusion in the project however, and I thank you for the kind words on my activity here so far. But see, well... Youtube simply gives me a significant headache ...with all the ads and the jargon and the silly icons which need figuring out every time. Second, I just despise 'videos' in general. They don't promote critical thinking as does reading. I can't evaluate or verify anything I might view in a video; whereas I can do so with most texts. An example of one of the few vids I've watched so far (YTD) was the 'found-footage' of the San Francisco earthquake and the streetcar footage of olde New York. But all those dinosaur videos I had to skip. Who made them? Where do they come from? Un-sourced information is just not my thing.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Unfortunately, I really can't make any promises. I appreciate your seeking my inclusion in the project however, and I thank you for the kind words on my activity here so far. But see, well... Youtube simply gives me a significant headache ...with all the ads and the jargon and the silly icons which need figuring out every time. Second, I just despise 'videos' in general. They don't promote critical thinking as does reading. I can't evaluate or verify anything I might view in a video; whereas I can do so with most texts. An example of one of the few vids I've watched so far (YTD) was the 'found-footage' of the San Francisco earthquake and the streetcar footage of olde New York. But all those dinosaur videos I had to skip. Who made them? Where do they come from? Un-sourced information is just not my thing. 

I understand where you are coming from. And as a sole source of "information" I do agree with you.
And I too dislike the embedded "ads" in several of the more lengthy YouTube video's.
That said, however, I've discovered that once a video has been linked elsewhere, such as a thread in these boards, that any associated disruptive ad does not follow it.
And too, anybody can say anything, which is why all things need to be fact checked from reputable sources.
But as a "teaching" tool it is pretty difficult to beat video as it stimulates two of our most receptive senses (sight and sound). And again, the subject matter on a video may already have been well researched and authenticated by the viewer, but presented in both an entertaining, informative and reaffirming way.

I am thinking that in some of the videos that I will link here that you will already be well informed about the subject and in full agreement. And if not, pause, and web search the topic and present a counter-argument, or expansion upon the subject matter.

I suspect when I begin posting some of the more controversial "debated" topics, that there may be many such posts.... And I welcome them as that is part of the learning process.

The dino videos, I posted are easily verifiable by any who care to check. Unless one attempts to counter that evolution is a mere theory which lacks substance of any kind.
Or if one happens to be a member of the 'Flat Earth Society' which requires quite a bit of information often presented in simplistic albeit accurate terms to make it digestible.

BTW, I have a few more little map/videos that are rather concise, but very informative in an an audio visual sense.

I will follow this with a link or two that I'd planned to save for later, but as examples of what I am talking about.
I know that You possess critical thinking skills, and I welcome any inquisitive and informed discussion about anything.
Hang in there with us, Sarge. You may find some of this stuff to be pretty good.

A Brief History of Geologic Time

• Like 1

Continental Drift

• Like 1

Plate Tectonics

• Like 1

Mind now, I wasn't questioning anything you've specifically posted--I respect the confidence you have in your leads. Its not a case of me doubting anything in particular; I'm just leery of video in general.

This:

anybody can say anything

Yes, but if nothing else--even with no other tools or resources available--statements can be subjected to Socratic rigor. Time-tested principles of ethics or other tests of scrutiny. Rules of evidence, scholarly methodology, rules of citation; the scientific method. The invasiveness of pictures so often sidesteps all this. Misplaced trust in imagery is reaching gargantuan proportions. I refuse to have anything to do with this trend except under infrequent circumstances. As an academic, frankly I find much of digital 'culture' horrifying. It engenders fuzzy-mindedness; I see people turning into dribbling simpletons before my eyes. Unable to think, assess, question, defy, imagine, plan, or create. Unable to place a finger on the lowest rung of the Kohlberg Scale.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

frankly I find much of digital 'culture' horrifying. It engenders fuzzy-mindedness; I see people turning into dribbling simpletons before my eyes. Unable to think, assess, question, defy, imagine, plan, or create. Unable to place a finger on the lowest rung of the Kohlberg Scale.

What a bleak future for humanity this portends. :huh:
Let us hope that this thread, tiny and videocentric as it is, may offer one small candle to enlighten the darkness upon which we tread.

22 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

What a bleak future for humanity this portends. :huh:
Let us hope that this thread, tiny and videocentric as it is, may offer one small candle to enlighten the darkness upon which we tread.

Don't let him get to you, Stephan. I'll watch what you post. If he doesn't want to watch them he doesn't have to. I'm watching this PBS one on geology right now. Very interesting stuff. Keep posting more pls. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2019 at 5:41 PM, cigarjoe said:

Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban, I've read his Attack and Defense of Fortified Places, he could tell you exactly how long a defence would last. There are some nice examples of his fortification designs here in the Eastern part of North America.

Image result for Fort Ticonderoga

Ft. Carillon (Ticonderoga)

Image result for louisbourg fort

Louisbourg 

Image result for Fort. Duquesne

Ft. Duquesne

Great aerial views of classic "Star" forts. The design offers an adequately manned fort to present overlapping fields of fire on each side.
For their day and age, they were as close to impregnable as the word implies.

Sébastien Le Prestre de Vauban
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sébastien_Le_Prestre_de_Vauban

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Two pictures are worth one Kuleshov Effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuleshov_effect

See where the bias creeps in? The instant loss of rigor? Put any two images side by side and falsehood is the immediate result. Heck, this is what may have led in the first place, to all the wonky coffee-table book popculture theories out there, wouldn't surprise me... :wacko:

Great, Thank you Sarge for introducing an interesting and very relevant subject (esp. for an "off-topic" movie website)
And after reading the Wikipedia write up on the subject (since it is, after all, about video image juxtapositions) I present a series of non-textual illustrative adjuncts.

The Kuleshov Effect

Kuleshov Effect / Effetto Kuleshov

The Kuleshov Effect - Everything You Need To Know

The Kuleshov Effect- A Silent Experiment

• Like 2

Hitchcock's Pure Cinema- "The Kuleshov Effect"

Rear Window Kuleshov Effect

Kuleshov effect - psycho

KULESHOV EFFECT

• Like 2

The Kuleshov Experiment

The Kuleshov Effect Tested

The Kuleshov Experiment - "The Kuleshov Effect"

• Like 1

Kuleshov Effect Lesson

The Kuleshov Effect & Cinematography in Game of Thrones (40.05 min)

Feelin' Smarter yet??? :rolleyes:

• Like 1