Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

Paul Newman as SOTM May 2019

32 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2019 at 10:14 AM, Brrrcold said:

I'm glad for this. But... THE HUSTLER? I mean...

Yea,  it would have been interesting if TCM showed The Hustler and then The Color of Money.

(ok,  I know who the main male star of TCOM is,  but still,  it would have been interesting).

29 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That's one of the 5 Newman movies I haven't seen. The other 4 are:

• The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968)
  • Winning (1969)
  • WUSA (1970)
  • Quintet (1979)

I have a copy of Winning among my stuff to watch, and Quintet shows up on Amazon Prime occasionally. 

WINNING's a good Universal sports drama. I like WUSA, though it's not everyone's cup of tea. The story's a bit over the top, but the characterizations and performances are strong.

One film I've been curious about is the Newman-Woodward version of THE GLASS MENAGERIE from 1987.

TCOM is important because it won for Newman the AA for Best Actor (though, as you note, his role was really that of a Supporting Actor), after six nominations and no wins (including in THE VERDICT three years earlier, which some had been seen as the peak performance of his career.)

He gives a good performance in TCOM (not nearly as good as several others) and it's an entertaining movie - directed by Scorsese. It's worth seeing, but it's not nearly as good as THE HUSTLER, a great movie and a great performance.

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

First news of slight changes to the TCM formula after the AT&T take-over: July's SOTM will be Steven Seagal.

LMREO! Who knows? It could happen.

On 3/5/2019 at 9:43 AM, TopBilled said:

Yes, it would have been nice if one of the evenings had been devoted solely to Newman-Woodward pairings, including the ones he directed that starred her. Maybe if/when Woodward becomes Star of the Month, we'll see more of those films.

Dont count on that happening. (SOTM).

On 2/16/2019 at 10:51 AM, TopBilled said:

I think they aired THE HUSTLER once as an Essential. I'm sure it will turn up again.

They've aired it more than once, but it's not shown very often.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

That's one of the 5 Newman movies I haven't seen. The other 4 are:

• The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968)
  • Winning (1969)
  • WUSA (1970)
  • Quintet (1979)

I have a copy of Winning among my stuff to watch, and Quintet shows up on Amazon Prime occasionally. 

They are probably all Universal. I know 2 of them are. I've never seen Quintet, a Robert Altman film.