Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Old King Arthur Movies

19 posts in this topic

There are old King Arthur movies right?  Of course there’s Walt Disney’s The Sword In The Stone and the Disney movie from the 90s.  A Kid In King Arthur’s Court.  But there are also some besides these right?

Not as many as one would think, considering the prominence of the myth.  Go to IMDb, type in King Arthur.  In the dropdown menu click on See all results for "King Arthur" and then look for the key-words option.  You can scroll to your hearts delight.  Some titles include Prince Valiant (1954), and Knights of the Round Table (1953).

23 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Not as many as one would think, considering the prominence of the myth.  Go to IMDb, type in King Arthur.  In the dropdown menu click on See all results for "King Arthur" and then look for the key-words option.  You can scroll to your hearts delight.  Some titles include Prince Valiant (1954), and Knights of the Round Table (1953).

Yes, and didn't R.J. look ever so cute in that little pageboy wig with bang?

(...well, I always thought he did anyway, so there!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, David Guercio said:

There are old King Arthur movies right?  Of course there’s Walt Disney’s The Sword In The Stone and the Disney movie from the 90s.  A Kid In King Arthur’s Court.  But there are also some besides these right?

Y'mean, do some exist BESIDES Disney?  Yyyyyeah, think there're a few....   😐

4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Leaving aside all the manglings of Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee" for Will Rogers and Bing Crosby, the '53 "Knights" seem to be the earliest major-studio version worth note.  One would call it neither Neat nor Cool.

Well, off the top of my head I only come up with---

LANCELOT and GUINEVERE ('63) with CORNEL WILDE and JEAN WALLACE

and

MONTY PYTHON and THE HOLY GRAIL ('75)  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

First Knight stars Sean Connery as King Arthur and Richard Gere as Lancelot.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Of which the above movies are on the IMDb list.  The question is what would be the cutoff date for the Original Poster's definition of old movie.  Most Arthur related movies seem to have been made post-2000.

• Like 1

There's new ones in the works; animated children's versions or whatever. I heard about it because there's a plagiarism suit which might be raised. It's called 'Kids of the Round Table'. Might already be out somewhere, I don't know.

Thank you.  There’s also that new King Arthur movie out now too.  Called The Kid Who Would Be King.  With Patrick Stewart as Merlin.  That one will be so cool.  I can’t wait to see it.  I am so excited.

And THEN there's Kid Galahad starring Elvis as one of the knights of the...as one of the knights of...ummm...

(...sorry, never mind...upon further reflection and despite its title, I think I've got the plot of that one wrong here)

• Haha 1

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned director John Boorman's attempt at telling this story in 1981's Excalibur.

(...visually stunning if not a bit ponderous at times, it featured performances by many a young actor and actress at the time who would go on to lengthy cinematic careers such as Liam Neeson, Helen Mirren and Gabriel Byrne)

• Like 1

Nicholas Clay was a very handsome Lancelot in Excalibur, and I thought he'd go on to have a big career.

There was also the TV mini-series The Mists of Avalon, which didn't do justice to that interesting variation on the Arthurian story.

• Like 1

I am surprised that no one has mentioned: Camelot (1967). Musicals are not to my taste but this movie is dear to my heart. It may be because the leads are not highly accomplished singers and so there is a bit of realism in their less-than-gosh-wow singing. 

How can one not love a movie which remains steadfast to its innermost truths:

King Arthur: This is the season for gathering flowers.

Lancelot Du Lac: Knights? Gathering flowers?

King Arthur: Well, someone has to do it!

I find the series: Merlin (2008-2012) to be a very interesting and entertaining take on the King Arthur legend. I appreciate irreverence and so to see King Arthur as a bit of a prat is quite refreshing.

4 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Thank you.  There’s also that new King Arthur movie out now too.  Called The Kid Who Would Be King.  With Patrick Stewart as Merlin.  That one will be so cool.  I can’t wait to see it.  I am so excited.

It's already GONE out of most theaters by now.  There weren't enough moviegoers excited to see something So Cool.  

(I will reserve any personal judgments from there...)

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned director John Boorman's attempt at telling this story in 1981's Excalibur.

Even though Merlin's incantation ("Anail nathrach...") was one of the Secret Neato 80's-Culture References in "Ready Player One", for some reason, "Excalibur" seems to be forgotten among both the great Big-80's movies (despite the fact that it's considered to be the official first 80's Summer of Love fantasy, one month before Raiders the Lost Ark), and among King Arthur movies.  
Remember when Warner's loopy Guy Ritchie action-movie bombed, and everyone said, "Well, we haven't had a King Arthur movie since Sean Connery and Richard Gere!"?

(sigh)...For it is the doom of men that they forget.  :(

I would have put it on the list too, but under no circumstance will my conscience allow me to refer to the great Big-80's Classics as, quote, "Old" films.  Given Boorman's direction, however, I have an overwhelming desire to sit Lil' Davey in a chair and make him watch it...He is over 17 and allowed to see it, right?

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...visually stunning if not a bit ponderous at times, it featured performances by many a young actor and actress at the time who would go on to lengthy cinematic careers such as Liam Neeson, Helen Mirren and Gabriel Byrne)

and Helen Mirren is hot as a sexy morgan le fay

:)

One of my favorite works in any medium is King Arthur, the "semi-opera" by Henry Purcell. The work premiered in 1691. It is roughly about King Arthur's battles between the Britons and the Saxons. It has a terrific score. Here is "Harvest Home." In addition to King Arthur, this work has plenty of nymphs and shepherds, as well as Cupid and Venus, Venus's aria, "Fairest Isle," is one of the UK's great national songs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur_(opera)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SansFin said:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned: Camelot (1967).

Right you are!

AND, if it ever DOES get made (understand there's some casting issues and such) we'll have to add SPAMALOT  to the list!  ;)

Sepiatone