Fedya

Bruno Ganz dies at 77

15 posts in this topic

Ganz's best film? There's an argument for Wim Wenders' "Wings of Desire" (1987), the acclaimed, stylishly-photographed drama about a guardian angel (Ganz) who falls in love with a human (Solveig Dommartin) in Berlin.

Ganz and Otto Sander (who played a fellow guardian angel) later starred in Wenders' award-winning 1993 sequel, "Faraway, So Close!," which also featured Nastassja Kinski and Willem Dafoe.

Peter Falk played himself in "Wings of Desire," but the movie's version of the actor had an interesting secret.

Related image

"Wings of Desire" was remade in America in 1998 as "City of Angels," which starred Nicolas Cage, Meg Ryan, Andre Braugher and Dennis Franz. The American version's soundtrack was a No. 1 smash that featured the Grammy nominated track "Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls and Alanis Morissette's Grammy Award-winning song "Uninvited."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Besides the films already mentioned I liked him in the American Friend as Jonathan. A man tricked into believing he is seriously ill and carrying out a murder. It premiered on TCM only a few months ago.

MV5BOWFlZDA1YTQtMGJjYy00OTVlLTkxODUtNTgx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He's really, really terrific in NOSFERATU: THE VAMPYRE (1979), in fact, in some ways he and Isabelle Adjani give better (or at least, more creative?) performances than KLAUS KINSKI, who is, yes, marvelous in DER TYTLE ROLE, but coasting perhaps in a role he was BORN TO PLAY?

Anyway, Ganz undergoes a very convincing metamorphasis in the movie, and it's his work in the last act, where it suddenlY kindasorta becomes a black black black (but still kinda funny) comedy that excels.

• Like 4

He's set to make an appearance in Terrence Malick's next film, Radegund, which also features Michael Nyqvist, who died in 2017. Being a Malick film, though, means there's a chance their performances will be edited out before release.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

He's really, really terrific in NOSFERATU: THE VAMPYRE (1979), in fact, in some ways he and Isabelle Adjani give better (or at least, more creative?) performances than KLAUS KINSKI, who is, yes, marvelous in DER TYTLE ROLE, but coasting perhaps in a role he was BORN TO PLAY?

Anyway, Ganz undergoes a very convincing metamorphasis in the movie, and it's his work in the last act, where it suddenlY kindasorta becomes a black black black (but still kinda funny) comedy that excels.

The 1979 Nosferatu was my first Ganz film, and yes he's very good in it.  I've seen him in some others, including Wings of Desire, but when I heard the news of his death, Nosferatu was the first movie that popped into my head.  He was an actor who was just interesting to watch, even when he wasn't speaking, and I love those eerie scenes of him wandering through Dracula's castle in the daylight.  And yes, his final scene in that movie is darkly funny.

nosferatu.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New York Times WorldVerified account @nytimesworld

Bruno Ganz, the melancholy Swiss film actor who played an angel longing for the visceral joys of mortality in “Wings of Desire” and a defeated Hitler with trembling hands facing his own mortality in “Downfall,” died at his home in Zurich

============================

Ben MankiewiczVerified account @BenMank77 4h4 hours ago

One of the finest & most subtle actors I’ve ever seen, full of humanity even when playing a man devoid of it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Fedya said:

Of all the urban-mistakes that the Young Kids make, none will ever drive me to personal frothing warpath rage as fanboy-teens who don't even understand the basic concept of Angry Hitler Videos ("Huhhuh, he's all red-faced and shouting dirty words 'n stuff!"), and why the first one was ever made.  If you don't know why the first one was ever made, call yourself no true home-theater fan:  https://movieactivist.blogspot.com/2017/01/january-11-2017-longest-w-day-with.html  The second one ever made was a deliberate viral-parody of the first one, of Hillary Clinton on the '08 campaign trail, and no AHYTV afterwards ever found two more perfect targets.

Those who've actually seen Downfall (which now seems to be joining the Sony Classics among the streaming Orphans)--and get the joke of the first two videos--will sympathize with Ganz's interview.  The original movie's an amazingly sympathetic performance, and almost retires the jersey for any other historical depiction of the Fall of Berlin. 

The fact that online Hitler fan-giggling has since made us forget Ganz in the Wings of Desire movies is only one more tragedy, but the unfortunate sequel might have also contributed somewhat.

8 hours ago, EricJ said:

will sympathize with Ganz's interview.  

The interview is also itself a parody. :blink: 😐

Downfall is an amazing performance.  Fans may wish to check out a very different late innings performance by Ganz in Sally Potter's The Party (2017).  He is very funny in it.  

maxresdefault.jpg

On 2/16/2019 at 9:13 AM, Gershwin fan said:

Besides the films already mentioned I liked him in the American Friend as Jonathan. A man tricked into believing he is seriously ill and carrying out a murder. It premiered on TCM only a few months ago.

MV5BOWFlZDA1YTQtMGJjYy00OTVlLTkxODUtNTgx

Great film.  Excellent performances, especially by Ganz and artfully directed by Wenders.   Hope TCM airs it again.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THIS GREAT, YET SAD SCOOP ON WHAT IS WUTHIUT A DOUBT THE SILVER-SCREENS ALL-TIME FINEST ADOLPH HITLER!  he was outrageiously ignored for even a Best actr nod for it & furthermore in my own "ALTERNATE OSCARS FILES" I voted fior him over actual winner *J. Foxx in "Ray" that year-(very close though)

In my book *HOPKINS was a close runner-up for 1977'

s tv movie THE BUNKER, but *Alec Guinness was miscast as Hitler BIG-TIME!

Strangely Moe Hward really looked like Adolph Hitler with garb on & all, as did somewhat *CHAPLIN.

Yet to catch WINGS OF DESIRE though  PREMIERE MAGAZINE VIOTED IT AMONG OVERALL 10 BEST 1980's