Sign in to follow this  
lmc

Title of film that is used in TCM Wine Club ads - what is the name of this movie?

29 posts in this topic

I'm looking for the title of the film that is one of the various ones used in the TCM Wine Club.

While at a carnival or small local fair, there is a woman, tossing confetti in a man's face, but the clip that they use, just shows the woman tossing the confetti into the general direction, head on, into the camera. It was, I believe, black and white, and was shot in the late 1950's-early or mid 1960's range. For some reason, I recall the film being in color, but in the Wine Club ad clip, it is, very distinctively, a B&W clip.

I saw the movie a couple of years ago and, at that time, I really enjoyed it, too -  Swearing I'd forever recall the title of the film! Yet here I sit, wracking my brain and researching as thoroughly as I can, to find out the title of the film a year later. It had two, now very big named male co-stars - Newman and DeNiro? Newman and Brando? Newman and Mitchum?

Newman's name sticks in my memory as one of the costars, but I could be really off on that. I believe that the finale is filmed in a local fair/carnival, takes place in the USA, with the one man settling down and taking out this girl that he ends up, toward the end of the movie, dating - on while they are at this fair, one of the things that she does, is playfully tosses confetti towards his face (and into the camera) and the other major male star in the film ends up being chased into the fair and shot at the end of the film while the couple is emotionally connecting and walking about the fair at the same time as this other male friend is being chased by police and shot at the end.

Before the ending of the film, there is a lot of drinking and general debauchery and restlessness in the younger two male actor's life - they might be roommates or at least the one is continually at the other's house. 

Also, there is, I believe, a major female star that lives on one of the two younger male's household or is active in the lives of the two younger, now big named stars - a blond? I'm a little bit blurry on the details of this major, possibly slightly older, female actress, but I recall that she was still very beautiful and possibly someone that one of the men has a bit of a thing for. 

And, as I'm thinking about it, there was, I believe, an older male actor of a somewhat known name - was it the man that played BIG DADDY in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?  IF it wasn't him, it was somebody of a similar noteworthiness - not a giant, frequent major character actor, but a man whose name was well known like the man that played BIG DADDY. And he was older than the two young, now major actors.

The girl tossing the confetti in the young man's face is different than the other woman I mentioned, too, I believe.  She is a supporting actress that rides on the edges of the film until that last bit of the film when she is taken to the fair by the one younger male, now major star. And the confetti tossing is shown in the ad for the Wine Club but, we can't see the man in that short snippet used for the ad.

Know the title of this film? I'd really appreciate the help!
lmc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lmc said:

I'm looking for the title of the film that is one of the various ones used in the TCM Wine Club.

While at a carnival or small local fair, there is a woman, tossing confetti in a man's face, but the clip that they use, just shows the woman tossing the confetti into the general direction, head on, into the camera. It was, I believe, black and white, and was shot in the late 1950's-early or mid 1960's range. For some reason, I recall the film being in color, but in the Wine Club ad clip, it is, very distinctively, a B&W clip.

I saw the movie a couple of years ago and, at that time, I really enjoyed it, too -  Swearing I'd forever recall the title of the film! Yet here I sit, wracking my brain and researching as thoroughly as I can, to find out the title of the film a year later. It had two, now very big named male co-stars - Newman and DeNiro? Newman and Brando? Newman and Mitchum?

Newman's name sticks in my memory as one of the costars, but I could be really off on that. I believe that the finale is filmed in a local fair/carnival, takes place in the USA, with the one man settling down and taking out this girl that he ends up, toward the end of the movie, dating - on while they are at this fair, one of the things that she does, is playfully tosses confetti towards his face (and into the camera) and the other major male star in the film ends up being chased into the fair and shot at the end of the film while the couple is emotionally connecting and walking about the fair at the same time as this other male friend is being chased by police and shot at the end.

Before the ending of the film, there is a lot of drinking and general debauchery and restlessness in the younger two male actor's life - they might be roommates or at least the one is continually at the other's house. 

Also, there is, I believe, a major female star that lives on one of the two younger male's household or is active in the lives of the two younger, now big named stars - a blond? I'm a little bit blurry on the details of this major, possibly slightly older, female actress, but I recall that she was still very beautiful and possibly someone that one of the men has a bit of a thing for. 

And, as I'm thinking about it, there was, I believe, an older male actor of a somewhat known name - was it the man that played BIG DADDY in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?  IF it wasn't him, it was somebody of a similar noteworthiness - not a giant, frequent major character actor, but a man whose name was well known like the man that played BIG DADDY. And he was older than the two young, now major actors.

The girl tossing the confetti in the young man's face is different than the other woman I mentioned, too, I believe.  She is a supporting actress that rides on the edges of the film until that last bit of the film when she is taken to the fair by the one younger male, now major star. And the confetti tossing is shown in the ad for the Wine Club but, we can't see the man in that short snippet used for the ad.

Know the title of this film? I'd really appreciate the help!
lmc

Try Some Came Running. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Shirley MacLaine. Not all of your description fits the storyline but some of it does. Hope that helps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 6:42 PM, lmc said:

I'm looking for the title of the film that is one of the various ones used in the TCM Wine Club.

While at a carnival or small local fair, there is a woman, tossing confetti in a man's face, but the clip that they use, just shows the woman tossing the confetti into the general direction, head on, into the camera. It was, I believe, black and white, and was shot in the late 1950's-early or mid 1960's range. For some reason, I recall the film being in color, but in the Wine Club ad clip, it is, very distinctively, a B&W clip.

I saw the movie a couple of years ago and, at that time, I really enjoyed it, too -  Swearing I'd forever recall the title of the film! Yet here I sit, wracking my brain and researching as thoroughly as I can, to find out the title of the film a year later. It had two, now very big named male co-stars - Newman and DeNiro? Newman and Brando? Newman and Mitchum?

Newman's name sticks in my memory as one of the costars, but I could be really off on that. I believe that the finale is filmed in a local fair/carnival, takes place in the USA, with the one man settling down and taking out this girl that he ends up, toward the end of the movie, dating - on while they are at this fair, one of the things that she does, is playfully tosses confetti towards his face (and into the camera) and the other major male star in the film ends up being chased into the fair and shot at the end of the film while the couple is emotionally connecting and walking about the fair at the same time as this other male friend is being chased by police and shot at the end.

Before the ending of the film, there is a lot of drinking and general debauchery and restlessness in the younger two male actor's life - they might be roommates or at least the one is continually at the other's house. 

Also, there is, I believe, a major female star that lives on one of the two younger male's household or is active in the lives of the two younger, now big named stars - a blond? I'm a little bit blurry on the details of this major, possibly slightly older, female actress, but I recall that she was still very beautiful and possibly someone that one of the men has a bit of a thing for. 

And, as I'm thinking about it, there was, I believe, an older male actor of a somewhat known name - was it the man that played BIG DADDY in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?  IF it wasn't him, it was somebody of a similar noteworthiness - not a giant, frequent major character actor, but a man whose name was well known like the man that played BIG DADDY. And he was older than the two young, now major actors.

The girl tossing the confetti in the young man's face is different than the other woman I mentioned, too, I believe.  She is a supporting actress that rides on the edges of the film until that last bit of the film when she is taken to the fair by the one younger male, now major star. And the confetti tossing is shown in the ad for the Wine Club but, we can't see the man in that short snippet used for the ad.

Know the title of this film? I'd really appreciate the help!
lmc

You're not talking about "Sweet Bird of Youth" with Newman and Shirley Knight as Heavenly, are you?

Her father is played by Ed Begley, who might be sometimes confused in memory with Burl Ives, since they often played similar forceful parts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:unsure: What do you mean, "you're serious"? That hag resembles Merle Oberon about as much as a sea cucumber might

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I'm glad you find it amusing, but I'm serious, and I hope it will spark someone's memory.

Sorry,   but that lady doesn't look anything close to one of my favorite beauties; Merle Oberon.

Image result for merle oberon

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe someone with really good eyesight can identify the man behind the lady's hand. I think it is either New Year's Eve or a cruise ship, or both.

1398478877_whoisthis.jpg.1de25526faa7a94c25b05a5dec087fd0.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She also kind of looks like Patricia Neal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

She also kind of looks like Patricia Neal.

No, that's not Neal. I do recognize the face, but I can't put a name to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

No, that's not Neal. I do recognize the face, but I can't put a name to it. 

I assume it is a British actress but hey,  I could be wrong.

I.e. I have seen the face also,  and British films was the first thing that came to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the woman throwing confetti is Wendy Hiller.  I just saw her in her Oscar-winning role in SEPARATE TABLES the other night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the scene of the New Year's Eve party William Holden flees to in Sunset Boulevard after his evening with Gloria Swanson? Even if it is, that does not aid much in identifying the woman pictured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been polling some  well-versed friends on social media, and they've concluded the image is from Fellini's I Vitelloni.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 6:42 PM, lmc said:

I'm looking for the title of the film that is one of the various ones used in the TCM Wine Club.

While at a carnival or small local fair, there is a woman, tossing confetti in a man's face, but the clip that they use, just shows the woman tossing the confetti into the general direction, head on, into the camera. It was, I believe, black and white, and was shot in the late 1950's-early or mid 1960's range. For some reason, I recall the film being in color, but in the Wine Club ad clip, it is, very distinctively, a B&W clip.

I saw the movie a couple of years ago and, at that time, I really enjoyed it, too -  Swearing I'd forever recall the title of the film! Yet here I sit, wracking my brain and researching as thoroughly as I can, to find out the title of the film a year later. It had two, now very big named male co-stars - Newman and DeNiro? Newman and Brando? Newman and Mitchum?

Newman's name sticks in my memory as one of the costars, but I could be really off on that. I believe that the finale is filmed in a local fair/carnival, takes place in the USA, with the one man settling down and taking out this girl that he ends up, toward the end of the movie, dating - on while they are at this fair, one of the things that she does, is playfully tosses confetti towards his face (and into the camera) and the other major male star in the film ends up being chased into the fair and shot at the end of the film while the couple is emotionally connecting and walking about the fair at the same time as this other male friend is being chased by police and shot at the end.

Before the ending of the film, there is a lot of drinking and general debauchery and restlessness in the younger two male actor's life - they might be roommates or at least the one is continually at the other's house. 

Also, there is, I believe, a major female star that lives on one of the two younger male's household or is active in the lives of the two younger, now big named stars - a blond? I'm a little bit blurry on the details of this major, possibly slightly older, female actress, but I recall that she was still very beautiful and possibly someone that one of the men has a bit of a thing for. 

And, as I'm thinking about it, there was, I believe, an older male actor of a somewhat known name - was it the man that played BIG DADDY in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?  IF it wasn't him, it was somebody of a similar noteworthiness - not a giant, frequent major character actor, but a man whose name was well known like the man that played BIG DADDY. And he was older than the two young, now major actors.

The girl tossing the confetti in the young man's face is different than the other woman I mentioned, too, I believe.  She is a supporting actress that rides on the edges of the film until that last bit of the film when she is taken to the fair by the one younger male, now major star. And the confetti tossing is shown in the ad for the Wine Club but, we can't see the man in that short snippet used for the ad.

Know the title of this film? I'd really appreciate the help!
lmc

The clip is definitely from Fellini's I Vitelloni, Thank You SueSue for going to all that trouble to find out where the clip came from. The plot that the OP describes is not the plot of that film though. The OP says it takes place in the USA, not Italy. The OP's description of the plot has nothing to do with I Vitelloni. Either the scene used in the Wine club Ad is not the film the OP is thinking about or the OP has totally mixed up a couple of films. The poster posting that clip unfortunately has confused us by posting the clip that can't be the film the OP has described, although it was nice that the poster took the time to try to help. It doesn't help that the original poster hasn't come back to answer. Since so many have gone out of their way to help this poster, it would be nice if he/she came back to answer.

At any rate, great job SueSue for identifying that clip and Thank You. :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lida Baarova, fyi, was the mistress of Joseph Goebbels, the German Minister of Propaganda. Hitler ordered the two to end their affair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's interesting. I have seen that movie.  I figured this scene was from a foreign film but didn't bother to post my 2c.

Good job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing is, the clip is from I Vitelloni but it's not the film the OP is posting about. He/she says it takes place in the USA, I Vitelloni does not take place in the USA and I Vitelloni does not have the storyline he describes, so it's not the film the question is about.The clip that's shown in the Wine Club Ad is definitely I Vitelloni, so that mystery has been solved by SueSue. The title of the film the OP is asking about is still unsolved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I meant "I Vitelloni", and the clip from the Wine Club commercial.  I have lost track of whatever tangent the OP went down.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Yes, I meant "I Vitelloni", and the clip from the Wine Club commercial.  I have lost track of whatever tangent the OP went down.

My thoughts exactly LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate the comments, Lavenderblue19!  Social media friends identified it. Odd that the TCM Wine Club would post Goebbels mistress in the ad. It obviously hadn't been properly researched.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us