spence

Whuich do you fans prefer "31 Days of Oscar" or "Summer Under the Stars?"

28 posts in this topic

Once again tcm's annual & used to be utterly tremendous  "31 Days of Oscar" but it's nowhere near as good as say 10 or more yrs back, so which do my fellow TCM-ITES rate higher "Summer Under the Stars" are the former?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I like the SUTS month because it's not just the bigger known films we get to see. Also, we get some days of character actors which usually don't get a SOTM nod.

• Like 9

I am not as fond of the same star for a full day (SUTS). But I do have to ask, why 31 Days of Oscar? Why not just Oscar Month? With Summer Under The Stars, what if I don't like that day's star? Guess I find another channel to watch. That isn't easy.

So Spence, my vote is 31 Days of Oscar.

• Like 2

Summer Under the Stars.

I don't like it a whole lot, but I really don't like 31 Days of Oscar.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to 31 Days of TCM Underground, to air every December to counter all the dreadful Christmas programming on other channels.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Summer Under the Stars. I like being able to watch a performer's career develop in a 24-hour period.

My only 'complaint' is I think the films should air chronologically, by the year in which they were made. Sometimes the SUTS programming feels a bit all over the place. It's jarring to go from Judy Garland at 25 to Judy Garland at 40 to Judy Garland at 16.

I also think they could do a few "group stars" for Summer Under the Stars. Like show a whole day of The Three Stooges. Or do a special theme, like a day of John Wayne directed by John Ford...or a day of Martin & Lewis comedies.

• Like 4

Either SUTS or neither.  I enjoy the character actors though.  With all this specialty/seasonal programming we probably only get about 5-6 regular months out of the year.

Oscar month. I don't like SUTS because too often they'll show an entire day of Doris Day or some other actress or actor I do not like. 

On 2/21/2019 at 3:24 AM, sagebrush said:

I like the SUTS month because it's not just the bigger known films we get to see. Also, we get some days of character actors which usually don't get a SOTM nod.

I agree. Some of the lesser known films brought out for SUTS are hidden gems. (Like Sealed Cargo, a noir on a fishing boat, for Dana Andrews day last year.) SUTS is also perfect for actors (including character actors) who will never be SOTM (Robert Vaughn, Roger Moore, Rod Taylor, etc.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Summer Under the Stars. I like being able to watch a performer's career develop in a 24-hour period.

My only 'complaint' is I think the films should air chronologically, by the year in which they were made. Sometimes the SUTS programming feels a bit all over the place. It's jarring to go from Judy Garland at 25 to Judy Garland at 40 to Judy Garland at 16.

I also think they could do a few "group stars" for Summer Under the Stars. Like show a whole day of The Three Stooges. Or do a special theme, like a day of John Wayne directed by John Ford...or a day of Martin & Lewis comedies.

TopBilled, I like SUTS as well. It's perfect for actors who will never be SOTM (Robert Vaughn, Roger Moore, Rod Taylor, etc)

I also like the idea of group or double SUTS. I think I was the one who suggested in a SUTS thread last year (you'd have to look at the actual SUTS category, though) it could be it the cards. For example, The Marx Brothers could be a group SUTS one day. There's no way Chico, Harpo, or Zeppo (who I give a lot of credit for leaving show business before becoming a train wreck) would ever have a SUTS day on their own.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

TopBilled, I like SUTS as well. It's perfect for actors who will never be SOTM (Robert Vaughn, Roger Moore, Rod Taylor, etc)

I also like the idea of group or double SUTS. I think I was the one who suggested in a SUTS thread last year (you'd have to look at the actual SUTS category, though) it could be it the cards. For example, The Marx Brothers could be a group SUTS one day. There's no way Chico, Harpo, or Zeppo (who I give a lot of credit for leaving show business before becoming a train wreck) would ever have a SUTS day on their own.

I think Groucho had a SUTS day a few years ago. So his earlier work with his brothers was included. But they could do more groups like this-- the 3 Stooges; the Ritz Brothers; the Dead End Kids/Bowery Boys, etc. Duos besides Martin & Lewis that come to mind: Wheeler & Woolsey; MacDonald & Eddy; Garson & Pidgeon. All these combinations made enough films together for 24-hour tributes. 

A fictional character could get a whole day-- like James Bond or Santa Claus.

• Like 1

I much prefer SUTS because there is a bigger variety of programming.  Yes, there will be your usual stars featured, but sometimes TCM will manage to program something on Bette Davis day (for example) that I haven't seen before.  What I do like about SUTS is that they'll include lesser known stars, or character actors who I enjoy.  I'll also discover "new" stars that I like by being able to be exposed to a large portion of their work at once.  I'm also able to further discover a star whom I'm not as familiar with by being able to see a whole day's worth of their work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

A fictional character could get a whole day-- like James Bond or Santa Claus.

Say it isn't so.

• Haha 1

Summer Under the Stars:

1. Most years one of the stars is from the silent era, and another has a predominantly non-English language filmography.
  2. As said above, the programmers usually include some lesser-known stars.
  3. Also as said above, while the big-name stars will be represented with their overprogrammed titles in prime time, in the off-hours the programmers sometimes screen interesting obscurities.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Summer Under the Stars:

1. Most years one of the stars is from the silent era, and another has a predominantly non-English language filmography.
  2. As said above, the programmers usually include some lesser-known stars.
  3. Also as said above, while the big-name stars will be represented with their overprogrammed titles in prime time, in the off-hours the programmers sometimes screen interesting obscurities.

There is also usually a precode star, and a post-code star (whose work comes primarily from the 60s, 70s or 80s).

For awhile, they made a point of including one child star too. More variety.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:12 PM, Michael Rennie said:

I am not as fond of the same star for a full day (SUTS). But I do have to ask, why 31 Days of Oscar? Why not just Oscar Month? With Summer Under The Stars, what if I don't like that day's star? Guess I find another channel to watch. That isn't easy.

So Spence, my vote is 31 Days of Oscar.

AGREED100% though it's somewhat close for me.  

I hate to say it, but I enjoy both.  I like change and so far the programming has been exceptional.  I guess I'm just not a critic of classic film, just a great admirer.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dot said:

I hate to say it, but I enjoy both.  I like change and so far the programming has been exceptional.  I guess I'm just not a critic of classic film, just a great admirer.  

I think it's okay to like both formats. :) 

Welcome to the message boards!

On 2/21/2019 at 1:04 PM, LawrenceA said:

I'm looking forward to 31 Days of TCM Underground, to air every December to counter all the dreadful Christmas programming on other channels.

I can't wait for them to replay the Underground line-up of yesteryear and going through Mac & Me and The Garbage Pail Kids Movie again.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

I can't wait for them to replay the Underground line-up of yesteryear and going through Mac & Me and The Garbage Pail Kids Movie again.

Both those films are re-airing on the 3rd of May.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Both those films are re-airing on the 3rd of May.

A repeat of the day laughter died. But I will mark it in my calendar.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ampersand said:

Haven't seen The Gods Must Be Crazy 1 & 2 in a while.

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Haven't seen The Gods Must Be Crazy 1 & 2 in a while.

I love THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY!

• Like 2