spence

WELP, IT ONCDE AGAUIN APPEARS NOT 1 SINGLE PERSON TOOK ON THE ANNUAL PREDICT THE OSCAR SWINNERS CHALLENGE I SUBMITTED, VERY STRAGE INDEED?

14 posts in this topic

So, given its next Sunday already possibly I listed just too many races/categories vs just the top 6 to 8 major races

So I'll throw one more SINATRA FEDORA in the ring &remember PREDICTIONS VS. PREFERENCES-(aka "Alternate Oscars," (2 authors did this & 1 Danny Peary covered them very well, check out his book, though it needs revision) which always means in the past 90yrs my own votes didn't even have to be officially in the golden race, but Ebert & Siskel annually would air "IF WE PICKED THE WINNERS" & Gene & Roger were stuck in choosing the nommed flix that year>Almost left out our very own Mr. Robert Osborne-(l932-2007) once in awhile he also forecasted final winners & on his note who has gotten THE OSCAR BIBLE "85yrs of the OSCAR" yet???

PREDICTIONS>

BEST PICTURE: Green Book * a very tight race between it & Roma  But not 2 single production has won both BP & Best Foreign-Film, yet?  On that note my beloved 1089 Italian made "Cinema, Paradiso" in my view deserved both, but only took home Foreign Language Film & that marvelous *E. Morricone music per usual))

ACTOR: Rami Malek in "Bohemian Rhapsody"

ACTRESS: Glenn Close in "The Wife"-(her 7th attempt!)

S. ACTOR: Mahershela Ali in "Green Book"-(just won here 2yrs back)

S. ACTRESS: Regina King in "If Beale Street Could Talk"

BEST DIRECTOR: Alfonso Cuaron for "Roma"-(likely landslide)

ADAPTED-SCREENPLAY: "Blackkklansman" (Spike Lee)

& ORIGINAL-SCRIPT: "Green Book" (Peter Farelly)

VS. MY OWN ANNUAL "ALTERNATE OSCARS"-(my 37th year oddsmaking Oscar, started at only age 18 for 1982-(great cinenamatic year too!)

FAVORITE FILM: Stan & 0llie

ACTOR: Christian Bale in "Vice"-(barely over John C. Reilly in "Stan & 0llie?")

Actress: Glenn Close

S. Actor: Mahershela Ali

S. Actress: Emma Stone in "The Favourite"

BD: Alfonso Cuaron again-(TRIVIA: He also produced, directed, wrote, foreign-film & his own cinematography, plus won BD Gold for the fantastic 2013 GRAVITY!)

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN, CERTAINLY HOPE YOU CAST YOURS, NO MATTER HOW WEAK THEY MAY BE ALL THAT EVER MATTERS IN TIME IS WHATS ON THAT "SILVER-SCREEN"

& again, tired & in duie pain  Can someone assist me again on to how to re-edit my top heading   thanx

4 hours ago, spence said:

Can someone assist me again on to how to re-edit my top heading   thanx

Sorry, I'm busy "whelping" 😜

Welp is a non-standard version of "oh well."

Whelp is a verb which means a female dog (and we all know that word) giving birth.

• Thanks 1

"Unpleasant? Strange, I've been told I'm the best shoe clerk the store ever had!" --Manolo Sanchez, prime suspect in that bombing case that happened on your side of the border

Spence,

So sorry but I can not provide any predictions for you at this time. For one thing, I did not see any of the films that have been nominated, except for bits on you tube. The second thing is that I really just could care less about the Academy Awards anymore. Since many of the films nominated are about topics I really could care less about, my interest in even watching the show has declined. Lately the show has turned into a gab fest of negative comments about all things the Hollyoowd elite hate.

I'd just as soon watch repeats of Battlestar Gallactica, any Star Trek series, and Stargate SG-1 on my mac.

Thirdly, and I am sure others have commented about your inability to type your posts in any form of easy readability, can at times cause some of us not to read your posts entirely. I do not know if you are working from an older computer, or that you are at a library computer and you have a time limit to get your posts completed, but cutting out unnecessary typos, bold faced type and many astericks can only help when trying to form and type up a coherent post.

3 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

Thirdly, and I am sure others have commented about your inability to type your posts in any form of easy readability, can at times cause some of us not to read your posts entirely. I do not know if you are working from an older computer, or that you are at a library computer and you have a time limit to get your posts completed, but cutting out unnecessary typos, bold faced type and many astericks can only help when trying to form and type up a coherent post.

Actually, spence mentioned in another post elsewhere on the boards that he has been suffering from a malignant brain tumor for the past couple of years. It causes him great pain as well as double vision, and I'm sure other attendant issues due both to the malady and the treatment. He also mentioned that this may be his final year of predictions (which seems to be one of his favorite movie-related topics), as he may not survive to see next year.

Just some info for all to ponder. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 5

11 hours ago, spence said:

So, given its next Sunday already possibly I listed just too many races/categories vs just the top 6 to 8 major races

So I'll throw one more SINATRA FEDORA in the ring &remember PREDICTIONS VS. PREFERENCES-(aka "Alternate Oscars," (2 authors did this & 1 Danny Peary covered them very well, check out his book, though it needs revision) which always means in the past 90yrs my own votes didn't even have to be officially in the golden race, but Ebert & Siskel annually would air "IF WE PICKED THE WINNERS" & Gene & Roger were stuck in choosing the nommed flix that year>Almost left out our very own Mr. Robert Osborne-(l932-2007) once in awhile he also forecasted final winners & on his note who has gotten THE OSCAR BIBLE "85yrs of the OSCAR" yet???

PREDICTIONS>

BEST PICTURE: Green Book * a very tight race between it & Roma  But not 2 single production has won both BP & Best Foreign-Film, yet?  On that note my beloved 1089 Italian made "Cinema, Paradiso" in my view deserved both, but only took home Foreign Language Film & that marvelous *E. Morricone music per usual))

ACTOR: Rami Malek in "Bohemian Rhapsody"

ACTRESS: Glenn Close in "The Wife"-(her 7th attempt!)

S. ACTOR: Mahershela Ali in "Green Book"-(just won here 2yrs back)

S. ACTRESS: Regina King in "If Beale Street Could Talk"

BEST DIRECTOR: Alfonso Cuaron for "Roma"-(likely landslide)

ADAPTED-SCREENPLAY: "Blackkklansman" (Spike Lee)

& ORIGINAL-SCRIPT: "Green Book" (Peter Farelly)

VS. MY OWN ANNUAL "ALTERNATE OSCARS"-(my 37th year oddsmaking Oscar, started at only age 18 for 1982-(great cinenamatic year too!)

FAVORITE FILM: Stan & 0llie

ACTOR: Christian Bale in "Vice"-(barely over John C. Reilly in "Stan & 0llie?")

Actress: Glenn Close

S. Actor: Mahershela Ali

S. Actress: Emma Stone in "The Favourite"

BD: Alfonso Cuaron again-(TRIVIA: He also produced, directed, wrote, foreign-film & his own cinematography, plus won BD Gold for the fantastic 2013 GRAVITY!)

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN, CERTAINLY HOPE YOU CAST YOURS, NO MATTER HOW WEAK THEY MAY BE ALL THAT EVER MATTERS IN TIME IS WHATS ON THAT "SILVER-SCREEN"

I enjoy your posts, Spence but don't feel knowledgeable enough to make mass predictions, though I do think Christian Bale's performance was well done. Be sure to post your after Oscars thoughts for us!

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Welp is a non-standard version of "oh well."

Thanks-I learn sumpthin new ever day!

(seriously, I am so out of touch with contemporary slang)

TB sez:

Whelp is a verb which means a female dog (and we all know that word) giving birth.

Maybe I'm misreading this sentence. In all the parlance I've ever heard, a 'whelp' it is what you call any members of the offspring in the litter itself. A whelp is a young pup. I suppose it could be used as a verb though. That's clever, if so.

Then, substituting 'Wellllp' instead of 'Well...' when making any remark? This is more like just a gentle "poking-of-fun" at the way rural folks enunciate their words.

32 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

TB sez:

Maybe I'm misreading this sentence. In all the parlance I've ever heard, a 'whelp' it is what you call any members of the offspring in the litter itself. A whelp is a young pup. I suppose it could be used as a verb though. That's clever, if so.

Then, substituting 'Wellllp' instead of 'Well...' when making any remark? This is more like just a gentle "poking-of-fun" at the way rural folks enunciate their words.

It can be used as a noun and as a verb. Tiki, in her prior post, was using it as a verb.

screen-shot-2019-02-21-at-1.52.15-pm.png

Thank You LawrenceA. I had no idea, just that Spence seems to have trouble typing. It is as sad as sad gets. I wish you all the best Spence for however long that may be.

I'll participate, but I don't expect many beyond the top awards to be accurate guesses.

Best Picture: Green Book

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma

Best Actor: Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Actress: Glenn Close, The Wife

Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Best Supporting Actress: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Best Foreign Language Film: Roma

Best Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Best Documentary Feature: Free Solo or RGB

Best Original Screenplay: Roma

Best Adapted Screenplay: BlackKklansman

Best Cinematography: Roma

Best Editing: Vice

Best Production Design: Roma

Best Costumes: The Favourite

Best Make-Up & Hairstyling: Vice

Best Sound Mixing: Bohemian Rhapsody

Best Sound Editing: First Man

Best Score: Isle of Dogs

Best Visual Effects: First Man

Best Song: "Shallow" A Star Is Born

I have no idea about the short films. 

I'll take a whack at it.

Picture: Roma

Directing: Alfonso Cuaron/ Roma

Actor: Rami Malek/Bohemian Rhapsody

Actress: Glenn Close/The Wife (the one thing that I am concerned with the most concerning these Oscars. I really want her to win)

Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali/Green Book

Supporting Actress: Rachel Weitz/The Favourite (in a squeaker)

Original Screenplay: The Favourite

Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman

Foreign Film: Roma (Mexico)

Documentary: RBG

Animated Film: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Cinematography: Roma

Production Design: Black Panther

Costume Design: Black Panther

Editing: Vice

Makeup and Hair: Vice

Score: If Beale Street Could Talk

Song: "Shallow"/A Star is Born