fxreyman

Opinion to remove John Wayne's name from Orange County Airport

136 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, TheCid said:

So, I recommend we remove all monuments to everybody, every group, ad infinitum.

Is that a serious statement?    

But what about the name of structure;   Like I said every day in CA there is another "controversy" and these are eating up public resources for what I view as mostly much-ado-about-nothing.     When a name change is approve it cost even more dollars to make the change;  e.g. that school district named Dixie;  this is a very small one with a limited budget.    Dollars are better used for teachers and books instead of changing a name that has existed for around 100 years.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Dargo, I've got MCI on all of my luggage. Does that ring a bell with you?

It does, Princess. In fact, when I was that aforementioned "smartazzed 21 y/o young man" first starting out in the airline biz, the airline I worked for was TWA.

TWA sent me to the then newly opened and state-of-the-art MCI airport in 1973 to attend some classes at their Breech Academy facility located fairly close to MCI.

And as you probably know, MCI (Mid-Continental International Airport) would replace Kansas City's old MKC airport as its primary airport.

• Thanks 1

It's topics like these that cause my brain and my heart to go to war with each other. On one hand, Wayne was a celebrated film actor in the early days of Hollywood, and I think it's admirable to have such a long and prosperous career in the public eye. I know he was a prominent fixture during the 1940's up until his death, essentially... However, on the other hand, I do think the comments he made were offensive and unfounded. I personally don't really like him as a person, and I'm not the largest fan of Westerns in general, but I wouldn't change the channel in a rage, if one of his movies happened to be playing. 

That being said, I wouldn't be upset if the name of the airport was changed to pay tribute to someone who contributed to society in a more sacrificial way. Just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

Here's what I think they should do.

Start naming our airports like they're now doing for sports arenas, baseball parks and football stadiums, and after their corporate sponsors!

Uh-huh, I can just see it all now...

"Hey Fred! Where ya flyin' off to this time?"

--"Well first Mike, I'm flying to the Apple Inc. San Jose Airport to talk to those people about those mainframe issues we've been havin' at our company, and then I'm off to the Bank of America Charlotte International Airport to see about the funding for my boss's pet project."

"So then you're not gonna have'ta fly into the Amazon Co. Seattle International Airport to talk to that bald-headed bozo, ahem, I mean BEZOS guy this time around?"

--"Nope, that meeting's been cancelled."

11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

It does, Princess. In fact, when I was that aforementioned "smartazzed 21 y/o young man" first starting out in the airline biz, the airline I worked for was TWA.

TWA sent me to the then newly opened and state-of-the-art MCI airport in 1973 to attend some classes at their Breech Academy facility located fairly close to MCI.

And as you probably know, MCI (Mid-Continental International Airport) would replace Kansas City's old MKC airport as its primary airport.

Dargo--  you really took me back on that one.

I was only  19 when I had to fly out of pathetic MKC and then fly to La Guardia, and then on to JFK for my first trip to Paris.

Because the scary  Midtown airport (where you flew over  I-70) certainly didn't do customs in the old days.

I remember seeing the  Breech Academy at KCI. 

It's hard to believe that TWA doesn't exist anymore. St Louis was actually the last TWA hub.

The most bizarre airport where they only sold Pepsi and Samuel Adams beer to drink. Yuck!

• Like 2

So, do we change Ronald Reagan Airport in Washington DC, as well?

(FTR, flying into John Wayne/Orange County instead of into LAX will save you several hours if you're trying to get to Anaheim for Disneyland.  Just from experience.)

More and more, I think the problem most people have with the Hollywood blacklist is not that it was wrong on principle, but because people whose political views they like got blacklisted.

Minor edit: I moved a few words around to make what I intended clearer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the memories(nope, not in Bob Hope Airport style ;) ) here, MR. Rennie.

I do remember hearing Susan Raye's crossover and moderate hit recording playing over the car radio just about the time I started workin' at LAX back in the early-'70s.

(...and in fact also remember kind'a jokingly singing the title line of it out loud in a twangy southern/country accent a few times back then and as I drove to work and/or when someone would ask me where I worked) 

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Just wait 'til people find out The Duke was a whitewashed Genghis Khan in "The Conqueror" (1956)!

Image result for john wayne as genghis khan

I hope that's not his yearbook picture.

• Haha 4

Just now, scsu1975 said:

I hope that's not his yearbook picture.

I don't think Genghis ever graduated from high school, Rich.

Pretty sure he dropped out of school in around the seventh grade or so.

(...if I remember correctly from my sophomore Mongolian History Class)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

You never heard of Khan Academy?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

You never heard of Khan Academy?

No, but then again I HAVE heard of Khant Academy.

And where Lina Lamont funked out of because she just couldn't stop saying, "I kain't stands 'em here at Kaint Academy" instead of, "I khan't stand them here at Khant Academy".

(...if that makes any sense at all here...and it probably doesn't, huh)

• Haha 1

Never apologize for renaming an airport, it's a sign of weakness.

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Pretty sure he dropped out of school in around the seventh grade or so.

(...if I remember correctly from my sophomore Mongolian History Class)

Not many people know but he went to an evangelical Tengrism college and originally intended to become a Tengrist priest. It wasn't until much later that he decided on the bloodthirsty warlord route. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

"The Penguin" would have solved her diction problems.

Image result for the penguin the blues brothers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Is that a serious statement?    

But what about the name of structure;   Like I said every day in CA there is another "controversy" and these are eating up public resources for what I view as mostly much-ado-about-nothing.     When a name change is approve it cost even more dollars to make the change;  e.g. that school district named Dixie;  this is a very small one with a limited budget.    Dollars are better used for teachers and books instead of changing a name that has existed for around 100 years.

How many homeless people do I pass by while I wonder what some other city should name their airport ?

As I write this, I have a family member in the hospital. He's in the Ronald Reagan building. Should I care about the name ? Or that he gets healthy ?

• Thanks 3

tenor.gif?itemid=7424002

`Whatta ya mean, `Rename the airport`

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Btw, and in regard to the Orange County Airport, I always thought that IF they were gonna name that particular airport after anybody, they should have named it after Walt Disney, and seein' as how it was Uncle Walt who put The O.C. on the map back in '55. And whereas, the only association that John Wayne ever had with it was that he resided in Newport Beach for some years.

I mean who even ever heard of "Anaheim California" before Uncle Walt placed his Magic Kingdom there, RIGHT?!

(...well, OTHER than that old Jack Benny radio and TV routine where ya heard Mel Blanc intone: "Trains now leaving for Anaheim, Azusa and CUcamonga" anyway, RIGHT?!)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheCid said:

One of the problems with naming items after people is that things change as time evolves. My personal philosophy is that items should be named after people ONLY if they directly and personally contributed more than 50% of the cost of the thing.  Especially for public items.

Best case scenario is that we just stop naming things after people.

As for changing John Wayne airport, he was the one who decided to engage in controversial and often hypocritical political positions.  And as Lawrence said, it is up to the people in that area to decide, not us.  Definitely not for people in politically incorrect South.

but the problem is that those who do not like john wayne as a name of an airport are those who like to pontificate and lecture one half of the country about tolerance. removing Wayne's name would be petty and highlight liberal hypocrisy about tolerance.

great actors like paul newman and henry fonda or jack lemmon are in no way diminished in my mind because they were liberals.

the duke is entitled to some forebearance from those who have dedicated their lifetimes to preaching it to the rest of us quite one-sidedly from their rich 1% socal paradise.

all this said tho, if you asked me to name who I think the 10 best male actors of the classic film era (1927-1968) were, there are certain names that would just have to be on the list (Cagney, Bogart, Cary Grant) and one of those non-negotiable names would without a doubt be ole' Marion Morrison's.

...he might even make my top five...