fxreyman

Opinion to remove John Wayne's name from Orange County Airport

136 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's not every racist /Draft Dodger who gets an airport named after him.

Plus don't forget that McCarthyism that he sponsored concerning the film  " High Noon ".

He was a popular movie star and he got that Oscar because he was dying of cancer and because the two best performances were in the same film and got split.

But I think Jon Voight put it best in "Midnight Cowboy":

" John Wayne was a cowboy. Are you calling John Wayne a ***?

And that's how his fans saw him.. and John Wayne was a football player who became a mediocre actor propped up by a great director. Who he couldn't  go on with with because he just wasn't up to it. 

Can you  picture  your John Wayne in  my two favorite John Ford westerns-- my two favorite westerns--" Cheyenne Autumn " and "Two Rode Together"?  LMREO

John Wayne wasn't acting in "The Searchers" that's really him. I think the French call it Cinema Verite'.

• Like 1

Like him or not, John Wayne was one of those "larger than life" characters that filled the screen and helped make Hollywood was it was and still is.

All of the world there are westerns, spaghetti westerns, osterns(red westerns), and the like, all trying to emulate what Hollywood depicted on the big screen. Wayne had a lot to do with that also.

He had a large influence on America and peoples thoughts about America. No revisionism can erase that.

My father was a fan. And he claimed to have seen every movie he made. And my dad was a veteran.

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

Like him or not, John Wayne was one of those "larger than life" characters that filled the screen and helped make Hollywood was it was and still is.

All of the world there are westerns, spaghetti westerns, osterns(red westerns), and the like, all trying to emulate what Hollywood depicted on the big screen. Wayne had a lot to do with that also.

He had a large influence on America and peoples thoughts about America. No revisionism can erase that.

My father was a fan. And he claimed to have seen every movie he made. And my dad was a veteran.

Well, seein' as how you've brought your father into the conversion here Gerald, that reminds me of a John Wayne related story from my youth.

I was probably about 11 or 12 at the time, and one night while watching Flying Tigers with my dad (and who was also a WWII combat veteran) I piped up during the movie and asked Pop if he thought John Wayne could in real life actually fly a P-40 Fighter like the one he's shown flying in the movie.

My Ol' Man turned to me and replied with a wink, "Well of course he could, Son. Don't you know John Wayne can do anything, and better than any other man who's ever lived?!", and then chuckled slightly and turned back to the TV set.

(...I'll never forget that)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How about Jane Fonda International Airport with direct flights to Hanoi and

Ho Chi Minh City? :)

• Haha 3

Okay!

Which one of ya out there had 30-hours 15-minutes on your "When will Jane Fonda's name be mentioned in a John Wayne thread" Pool card here???

DRATS! I came THIS close to winnin'! I had the 31-hour 30-minute mark on my card.

(...I NEVER have any luck at these things, DAMN IT!!!)

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Okay!

Which one of ya out there had 30-hours 15-minutes on your "When will Jane Fonda's name be mentioned in a John Wayne thread" Pool card here???

(...drats, I came THIS close to winnin' here, damn IT...I had the 31-hour 30-minute mark on my card)

I have about zero interest in other peoples opinions on this - especially here, but since renaming an airport (or any public venue for that matter) is generally a two-part process, I was waiting for anyone at all to start digging.

58 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Speaking of naming airports, I thought it was beautiful when they named the Liverpool airport after John Lennon. Yoko Ono even flew in for the event. But I think I would have named it Strawberry Field. LOL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I have about zero interest in other peoples opinions on this - especially here

Don't worry, the feeling's mutual. 

P.S.: That was meant in jest, but the fact that you felt compelled to include the above sentiment is kind of odd.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Don't worry, the feeling's mutual. 

P.S.: That was meant in jest, but the fact that you felt compelled to include the above sentiment is kind of odd.

No worries.  I should have included my twisted-evil smiley, from another forum: http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay!

DRATS! I came THIS close to winnin'! I had the 31-hour 30-minute mark on my card.

Well, the internet already has Godwin's law. Maybe we should start Dargo's law for how long before Hanoi Jane's name it mentioned in a thread ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay!

I think waiting a whole 30 hours for a slam dunk like John Wayne/Jane Fonda shows

remarkable restraint. 

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Speaking of naming airports, I thought it was beautiful when they named the Liverpool airport after John Lennon. Yoko Ono even flew in for the event. But I think I would have named it Strawberry Field. LOL

I had forgotten that.

Christ you know it ain't easy,

You know how hard it can be,

The ways things are going,

They'll name an airport after me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Christ you know it ain't easy,

You know how hard it can be,

The ways things are going,

They'll name an airport after me. 

Perfect if you're flying to Miami Beach via BOAC.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay!

I had “full frontal male nudity” and “Roman Polanski” ahead of Jane.

In hindsight I should’ve known better.

Late to this party, I'd have to say I don't care what some place names an airport, or WHY, but in cases like this, the man's political leanings shouldn't have anything to do with it.  He was famous and well loved for being a "Movie star" BEFORE anybody knew OR cared about his political leanings, and so the name should remain IMHO.

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ps- The Roman Polanski International Airport could specialize in one way, strictly international travel...

One would certainly never want to send an unaccompanied minor to that airport anyway.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

One would certainly never want to send an unaccompanied minor to that airport anyway.

(cackles wickedly at this)

(stops for exactly one second to feel guilty)

(goes right back to cackling.)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

Perfect if you're flying to Miami Beach via BOAC.

I wouldn't try to book a flight on BOAC though.

I've heard that Roman Polanski International Airport is Jeffrey Epstein's favorite place

to catch a flight.

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2019 at 5:59 PM, Vautrin said:

A far better actor than John Wayne.  She earned her Oscar, whereas he got his out of sympathy and as a sort of life-time achievement award.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Late to this party, I'd have to say I don't care what some place names an airport, or WHY, but in cases like this, the man's political leanings shouldn't have anything to do with it.  He was famous and well loved for being a "Movie star" BEFORE anybody knew OR cared about his political leanings, and so the name should remain IMHO.

Sepiatone

A person's "political leanings" and other personal aspects of life should definitely have something to do with naming a public and/or publicly supported facility after someone.  Other than acting and making a lot of money in the process, what did John Wayne actually contribute to Orange County, California or the US?

• Like 1