fxreyman

Opinion to remove John Wayne's name from Orange County Airport

136 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

A far better actor than John Wayne.  She earned her Oscar, whereas he got his out of sympathy and as a sort of life-time achievement award.

I agree, though I like a number of John Wayne movies, even the ones where he is basically 

playing himself. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 8:09 PM, GGGGerald said:

Well, the internet already has Godwin's law. Maybe we should start Dargo's law for how long before Hanoi Jane's name it mentioned in a thread ?

Dargo's Law should include how long it takes to mention Ben M. "nasally voice". What has that to do with an airport name? Probably nothing. Why is a topic as boring as the name of an airport worthy of a thread of this length? 

2 hours ago, Thenryb said:

Dargo's Law should include how long it takes to mention Ben M. "nasally voice". What has that to do with an airport name? Probably nothing. Why is a topic as boring as the name of an airport worthy of a thread of this length? 

The dull ones often elicit the best tangents. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thenryb said:

Aah, aah, aah! Don't forget the British superfluous 'u' here TOO, Thenryd!!! ;)

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

The dull ones often elicit the best tangents. 

Yes indeed, Lawrence. "The dull ones" almost BEG to be, ahem, "livened up", don't they?! ;)

(...especially for some of us more "tenderhearted" souls around here who see where our "efforts" are the most "needed"!)  

LOL

11 hours ago, TheCid said:

A person's "political leanings" and other personal aspects of life should definitely have something to do with naming a public and/or publicly supported facility after someone.  Other than acting and making a lot of money in the process, what did John Wayne actually contribute to Orange County, California or the US?

If he lived there then he was probably one of it's more "outstanding" citizens, paying a high enough level of property tax to help out the ol' revenue!  ;)  And despite what any of us HERE think and feel, he did bring a lot of good feelings to millions of American movie goers, so....

Here in Detroit there's a flap about renaming a long time exhibit/convention center and arena called COBO HALL, named for one of the city's more memorable mayors (Albert Cobo) who died in office in 1957.  The center was built and opened in 1961.  It recently came to light that Cobo was, according to some who remember him well, a rabid racist, and while in office was actually behind a lot of the city's then "institutional" racism concerning restrictions to African-American rights to purchase homes and property in Detroit.  There's now a move to rename THAT place

The arena was long a premier concert venue, and too, several local HIGH SCHOOLS( including MY class) leased the arena for graduation commencements. But, I'm no longer a resident, so I have no say, nor do I CARE what they choose to do about it's name.

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

If he lived there then he was probably one of it's more "outstanding" citizens, paying a high enough level of property tax to help out the ol' revenue!  ;)  And despite what any of us HERE think and feel, he did bring a lot of good feelings to millions of American movie goers, so....

Here in Detroit there's a flap about renaming a long time exhibit/convention center and arena called COBO HALL, named for one of the city's more memorable mayors (Albert Cobo) who died in office in 1957.  The center was built and opened in 1961.  It recently came to light that Cobo was, according to some who remember him well, a rabid racist, and while in office was actually behind a lot of the city's then "institutional" racism concerning restrictions to African-American rights to purchase homes and property in Detroit.  There's now a move to rename THAT place

The arena was long a premier concert venue, and too, several local HIGH SCHOOLS( including MY class) leased the arena for graduation commencements. But, I'm no longer a resident, so I have no say, nor do I CARE what they choose to do about it's name.

Sepiatone

Sort of my point about not naming things after people.  Also tends to support letting the people of Orange Co. change the name of John Wayne Airport.  Who named it that to begin with?

This whole discussion also mirrors the national debate over removing Confederate statues, names and so forth.  Same concept.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

This whole discussion also mirrors the national debate over removing Confederate statues, names and so forth.

giphy.gif

"Did someone just say 'Let's take down his statue, too"?

00f379d89ec58e41af3f4be1341ec517.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

"Did someone just say 'Let's take down his statue, too"?

No, only that the debate over naming something after him is similar to the one re: public monuments to the Confederacy.

4 hours ago, TheCid said:

Sort of my point about not naming things after people.  Also tends to support letting the people of Orange Co. change the name of John Wayne Airport.  Who named it that to begin with?

This whole discussion also mirrors the national debate over removing Confederate statues, names and so forth.  Same concept.

The county supervisors voted for that name decades ago.    Living in the county I highly doubt they will vote to change the name.    Most of the movement to change the name is driven by minor league pols looking to make a name for themselves by being anti-Trump \ GOP.    OC still has a slight GOP majority (but not one for Trump);  so these supervisors aren't going to take the risk getting involved.

• Thanks 1

WHAT & WHAT IN THE..... WHY ??? let me guess pc crap again, right

12 hours ago, TheCid said:

No, only that the debate over naming something after him is similar to the one re: public monuments to the Confederacy.

O THEY WILL EVENTUALLY GET TO ANY STATUES THESE YOUNG PC PUNKS NOW FEEL OFFENSIVE   TOO MUCH DAMN TIME OF THEIR HANDS   THEY FEEL THEY HAVE TO THINK AROUND & FIND THINGS TO PROTEST ION THIS PATHETIC ERA???

We found a way to avoid some of that crap here in the "D"( except for that convention center  ;) )

There's two airports that serve the area.....

One inside the city "proper", and one in the nearby city named Romulus.  The airport IN the city is simply called "City Airport", and the larger international airport in Romulus is named "Metropolitan Airport" known by us here as simply "METRO Airport".  ;)

Sepiatone

Ever heard the story of Hoover / Boulder Dam? 

s-l300.jpg

View-Master-Reel-11-Hoover-Boulder-Dam-N

s-l300.jpg

Went from Hoover, to Boulder and back to Hoover.  Need to acquire 3 reels because someone couldn't make their minds up. ;):P

36 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

We found a way to avoid some of that crap here in the "D"( except for that convention center  ;) )

One inside the city "proper", and one in the nearby city named Romulus.  The airport IN the city is simply called "City Airport", and the larger international airport in Romulus is named "Metropolitan Airport" known by us here as simply "METRO Airport".  ;)

Sepiatone

So "D" followed Cid's advise and see,  it worked well.

As far as the O.C.;   well now those that are calling for Wayne to be removed wish to replace him with someone else.   This someone else is of course a person-of-color (since the entire stunt here is anti-Trump driven).

That is a big mistake since it reeks of politics.  IF the issue was that a name (Wayne) creates division among peoples,  then it is best best to follow Cid's advice.   A different person just creates more division.

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

I prefer airports named after the city where it is located or the region.  Let's travelers know where they are actually going for one thing.

I remember years ago (probably hasn't changed) when people would not know where Greenville or Spartanburg SC were, but they did know where Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport was.  It's between the two cities.

The pre-GSP airport for Greenville is now the Greenville Downtown Airport.

32 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I prefer airports named after the city where it is located or the region.  Let's travelers know where they are actually going for one thing.

I remember years ago (probably hasn't changed) when people would not know where Greenville or Spartanburg SC were, but they did know where Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport was.  It's between the two cities.

The pre-GSP airport for Greenville is now the Greenville Downtown Airport.

As Dargo said,  I believe most people outside of So Cal,  know SNA as,  Santa Ana Airport,  or Orange Country Airport.  E.g. go to book a flight to this airport;  no where is 'Wayne' listed in the drop-down box. 

So yea,  name an airport after the city\region;   When a major city multiple airports,  use geography;  South side of the city,  East side,  etc..

Naming after a celebrity adds NO value.

• Like 2

Universal is I am not a liberal or a right wing fanatic, but keep your politics out of it. John Wayne was a legend in the movie industry for almost half of a century and he brought joy and excitement to the everyday man who put their money down to see his films. Don't strip him of the honor.  Remember his final scene in THE SHOOTIST when Ron Howard avenges his murder and throws the gun away and JW approves with his last breath. 

15 minutes ago, cody1949 said:

Universal is I am not a liberal or a right wing fanatic, but keep your politics out of it. John Wayne was a legend in the movie industry for almost half of a century and he brought joy and excitement to the everyday man who put their money down to see his films. Don't strip him of the honor.  Remember his final scene in THE SHOOTIST when Ron Howard avenges his murder and throws the gun away and JW approves with his last breath. 

Just as an FYI;  politics was the main reason why the O.C. supervisors voted to name the airport after Wayne in the first place.

I.e.  he was O.C. most famous conservative (well other than Nixon,  and I assume everyone knows why the airport wasn't named after him).   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like how in "Airport '75" Charlton Heston, George Kennedy, and every other guy in the movie calls all the stewardesses (including 'head' stewardess Karen Black flying the plane)...'honey'. "Keep 'her nose level honey!"..."Watch that altimeter honey! Whatever you do don't let it run down, got that honey? You're doin' swell. honey..."  :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I like how in "Airport '75" Charlton Heston, George Kennedy, and every other guy in the movie calls all the stewardesses (including 'head' stewardess Karen Black flying the plane)...'honey'. "Keep 'her nose level honey!"..."Watch that altimeter honey! Whatever you do don't let it run down, got that honey? You're doin' swell. honey..."  :lol:

This reminds me of a friend of ours, an old airlines coworker, and the time she recently dropped by with an old book she had had for years titled "How to be a Stewardess", published in 1971.

The introduction page started out by saying something to the effect of: "If you are lucky enough to be hired as a stewardess, you will find this career to be glamorous and rewarding one. You may even find your future husband on board the flight you'll be working."

And then the first chapter entailed tips on how a young lady should present herself during her employment interview, and along with clothes and makeup suggestions.

And then the next part of the book had a page for each airlines'(many no longer in existence) requirements for the job. Most of the airlines required the young ladies to be between the age 19 to 25 and unmarried. And THEN there was the "Weight-to-Height" requirement listed for all of them too.

(...as we scanned through this book and looking at it with 21st century eyes, we all started laughing as we began to remember how sexist the whole thing was back then)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yet it was written by a woman. Great stuff there, Darg.

Reminiscent of Jane Fonda in 'Period of Adjustment'. Wasn't that the Tennessee Williams play where a young woman (at some point in the story) admits she went to nursing school ...solely to work in a hospital ...solely to find a doctor as a husband?

It just may be the most hilarious skit of Nichols & May but I'm thinking now of the one where the young Jewish boy wonders aloud to his mother whether mom & pop can afford to pony up the tuition money to send him to college to pursue his career goal. (Well, what career does he have in mind?) Hesitantly, cautiously, he admits he wants to be a registered nurse. Elaine May as the Jewish mother flies in a paroxysm of joy. "Ohhhhhhh!!! When the neighbors see you coming down the street we'll point with pride and tell them ...there goes our son ...da nurse...!"

Does it make sense to change the name of the airport on the basis of which political party is gaining control ? The Highway Department could prepare signs for liberal and conservative personalities years before their death.

Of and 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, TheCid said:

Well if they're not sure when they buy their ticket, they deserve to be in the dark.  ;) 

Sepiatone