yanceycravat

Chico Marx's Racist performances to be cut from all Marx Bros. Movies!

26 posts in this topic

I was checking the date to see if it was the first of April

• Haha 4

677a8cc637c1fbcb5fc73a84564d50c5.jpg

"Say, whatsa matter you here? You maybe think'a you funny or somethin'?!"

"I gotta contract right here'a say I stay in'a ALL the pictures I'va ever been in'a here see?!"...

chicomarxnightatopera.jpg

Heh.  Wouldn't surprise me though.  And I know plenty of Italians, and some still sounding fresh off the boat, who knew Chico wasn't really Italian, but too, still thought he was HI-larious!  :D But too....

Some people ARE way too sensitive and that there'd be some "crusade" to have Chico and all his film footage excised from any Marx Brothers movies being aired on TV as I said, wouldn't surprise me these days.  But to those folks I have one suggestion....

Go get yourself a big bowl of "TOOTSIE-FROOTSIE" ice-a cream and CHILL!  ;) 

Sepiatone

While we're at it I think they should cut out Harpo, too, because of that leg routine. And he did it to both sexes, too. Look at that smile on his face as he does it. Filthy little man!

QlL_CT00Ozf2XOfjRLlWo1UONbpnH6Yy6N78hXpIduck-soup-4.jpg

a533ea5f-0876-492f-acb0-a41823e58b85_1.9

"Well, folks, I guess that leaves me as the star of the show!"

Not so fast! All that cigar smoking is a bad influence on people today, not to mention how the Me Too folks feel about all that woman chasing. Get rid of Groucho, too, I say.

Which means, of the early Marx Brothers films, the only brother whose scenes should be left in are those of . . .

220px-Zeppo_Marx.jpg

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Think I'll put on a Three Stooges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

And I know some "ruby throated" types that'll want to see scenes like THIS gone!----

:o  "Get you're damned hands OFF that little WHITE girl, you filthy N***R!"  :angry:

Sepiatone

This is EXACTLY why I will never abandon DVDs/Blu for streaming. Nobody is going to kick down my door and demand my non-redacted copy of Gone With the Wind, The Jazz Singer, etc. And YES OP, you did fool me. In these PC gone mad times I would believe anything. I would believe Disney would edit Liam Neesen out of the Star Wars movie he was in and make him "the invisible Jedi" when the guy was trying to make a point that racism can take anybody by surprise for ridiculous reasons and said that he realized he needed help and got that help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

Nobody is going to kick down my door and demand my non-redacted copy of Gone With the Wind, The Jazz Singer, etc.

Dang.  And I was just about to do that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Some people ARE way too sensitive

I think the people who are way too sensitive are the ones who complain about the people who are way too sensitive.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I was just checking to see whether TCM was an "Internet April-Free Zone", in case we get more of these next month.

And then I went out to see if I could find that wartime clip of Chico telling an interviewer, "Well, maybe for the war, I be a Greek, Italians aren't too popular right now..."

Maybe what we should do is decide on one race and one race only. Put all other races to death and destroy all the movies ever made that have anybody in them that's not one of the one race still left.

I nominate the Japanese. There's lots of movies that have only Japanese people in them, so it's a good start.

Imagine - only Japanese people on the planet and all movies have only Japanese people in them.

Perfect. No more complaints about racists ever again.

I'm Canadian of British, Irish, Dutch ancestry. So, nice knowin' ya.

7 minutes ago, drednm said:

Italian isn't a race......

What drednm, never heard of the Autodromo Nazionale Monza, and where they hold the Formula One Grand Prix there every year?

;)

• Like 1

Maybe any country with a name which can in any way be used as a 'slur' (Italy / Italian, Germany / Germans, Ireland /  Irish), should just change its name to a string of numbers. Italy could be called 3692654, for example. Nothing offensive about that. People from the country formerly known as Italy could then be called ...3692654's.

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

What drednm, never heard of the Autodromo Nazionale Monza, and where they hold the Formula One Grand Prix there every year?

;)

LOL ... OK you got me on that one!

13 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Should have saved this for April 1st :lol:

My husband's half Italian, and he said back in the day, there was an assumption that Italians weren't quite "white."  Basically, any group of immigrants who did not speak English and were slightly darker complexioned were considered nonwhite.  However, he loves the Marx Brothers and often mimics Chico's routines.   We've always looked at the Marx Brothers as basically anarchists, violating every social convention.  We've never looked at their humor in the same way someone may see blackface, for example.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rosebette said:

My husband's half Italian, and he said back in the day, there was an assumption that Italians weren't quite "white."  Basically, any group of immigrants who did not speak English and were slightly darker complexioned were considered nonwhite.  However, he loves the Marx Brothers and often mimics Chico's routines.   We've always looked at the Marx Brothers as basically anarchists, violating every social convention.  We've never looked at their humor in the same way someone may see blackface, for example.

Yeah, well, they're okay I guess.

(...if ya like that sort'a thing)

Family lore says my Great-Grandmother, who was Swedish, once tried "blanching" her granddaughter, my Great-Aunt, with bleach because as half-Italian she was very dark!

Italians were not looked on very favorably when they first arrived here. You might say they were the Mexicans of their day. Fortunately no one thought of putting a wall around Ellis Island or you might not be reading this right now!

Groucho chose to have his ashes far frim his bros in INGLEWOOD, Harpo nobody really knows, rumor has it they interred Harpo's ashes in his favorite gulf hole & as for Chico, I tried & tried to find his grave/niche very top of the mammoth "F Lawn"in Glendale, Calif. He;s klauid to rest next to brother Gummo Marx, but they are near the darn ceiling & there was no way to even begin to see it  Inside the much smaller "Freedom Maus." located at very top Glendale's "Forest Lawn" which is much more welcoming to fans then the twice the size grand gothic "Great Maus.' st inception of the park

(TRVIA: who knows that Oprah Winfrey took her name of OPRAH  because HARPO was & still is her idol since childhood,  you can easily see by the spelling & words  TRUE STORY & their dad died at THE GARDEN OF ALLAH ATS-(also now gone?) in 1936   Samuel Marx)   THANX