Swithin

Stanley Donen, director of Singin' in the Rain, dies aged 94

42 posts in this topic

About 15 years ago, the Lincoln Center film Society had a salute to Stanley Donen.  all this films were shown.  ANd, Mr. Donen actually came down to the theater and talked a little bit before a few of the screenings.  I remember the evening of FUNNY FACE.  A beautiful print was screened; Mr. Donen talked a little about working with Fred Astaire and AUdrey Hepburn.  And there were celebrities (Phyllis Newman) in the audience as well.  The night they screened MOVIE MOVIE was especially nice.  The curator of the project told us that Mr. Donen agreed to appear, talk to the audience, if he promised to screen MOVIE, MOVIE.  Afterward, Mr. Donen told the curator that it was a "lousy print" to which the curator responded that there were 'no prints' of the film anywhere.  They got the print for the screening from a university library.  It was very very good. Since it was apparently such an important film to Mr. Donen,  I am hoping that TCM includes MOVIE MOVIE in their tribute.  I am also delighted to read that it has finally been restored and is available on BLU-RAY.  Another film of Mr. DOnen's which is 'perfect' is CHARADE.  RIP Stanley Donen!

• Like 1

I had never heard anyone pronounce Mr. Donen's last name, and thought that it was pronounced "Doh-nen." Learned it was "Don-nen" when he appeared at one of the TCM festivals for a showing of a beautifully restored Two for the Road. He spoke a little about the latter part of his career, when he lived in London.

Indiscreet will be shown at this year's TCM festival.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DickLindsay said:

The curator of the project told us that Mr. Donen agreed to appear, talk to the audience, if he promised to screen MOVIE, MOVIE.  Afterward, Mr. Donen told the curator that it was a "lousy print" to which the curator responded that there were 'no prints' of the film anywhere.  They got the print for the screening from a university library. 

That may actually be TRUE:  By the time M2 came out on Blu, there was no original film-print source for the opening credits and George Burns' host introduction, and the Blu had to show the unmastered laser/TV version of the scenes as a bonus extra.

Also, when it first went to TV/VHS around that time, the opening Harry Hamlin "Dynamite Hands" feature, which was supposed to be in "30's B/W", used the original color footage to keep from confusing the audience, and fans raised a bit of controversy which may have been part of the reason for the studio burying the movie afterwards.

...But it's still easy to see why Donen liked it.  ("Boxing's for suckers--I'm planning on going to law school...These hands are for reading books!")

• Like 1

I guess when somebody does what they enjoy, becomes a master at their craft , and ends up by being loved and respected by audiences and professionals alike, passing away at 94 should be a celebration of their life and not of sadness. 

When  I was a kid, I loved all kinds of movies, except one...musicals. Why? I don't know msybe I just never saw any I liked. One day, when I was about 14 or 15 that all changed when stumbled into the world of Stanley Donen.  I had gone  to a double feature and in order to see the film I came for had to sit through SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS.  I was awestruck at how enjoyable and fun a really good  musical could be. That started my life-long love of musicals. 

By now, I've seen all of his films, some many times, but each time I see one again, I remember that day I first saw SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS and how that started it all for me. Thank you Stanly Donen!

• Like 6

Donen is one of those super talented guys whose influence enhances others' performances. I don't think any of the films he choreographed or directed would have been nearly as good with someone else at the helm.

Thank you Stanley, RIP

• Like 2

OH, NO! I hadnt heard this. He's directed so many of my favorite films. One of the greats of Old Hollywood. I hope they don't forget him next  year. (I assume it was too late to include him in this year's In Memoriam) I hope TCM is planning a tribute.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2019 at 10:17 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

{I remember that}

So do I!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Thanks. I wasnt sure they'd do one during Oscar month.

TCM Remembers Stanley Donen – Monday, March 18

• 8:00 p.m. Private Screenings: Stanley Donen (2006) - Director Stanley Donen discusses his life and career with host Robert Osborne.
  • 9:00 p.m. Singin’ in the Rain (1952) – A silent-screen swashbuckler finds love while trying to adjust to the coming of sound.
  • 11:00 p.m. On the Town (1949) – Three sailors wreak havoc as they search for love during a whirlwind 24-hour leave in New York City.
  • 1:00 a.m. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954) – When their older brother marries, six lumberjacks decide it’s time to go courting for themselves.
  • 3:00 a.m. Royal Wedding (1951) – A brother-and-sister musical team find romance when they tour to London for Elizabeth II's wedding.
  • 5:00 a.m. It’s Always Fair Weather (1955) – World War II buddies get mixed up with gangsters and an egotistical TV star when they hold a 10-year reunion.
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

I was hoping they'd make a whole day of it! Oh, well at least they are doing one. Wonder happened to Charade? It's in the public domain and wouldn't cost anything!

• Like 1

The Stanley Donen tribute on the 18th means the night of Jean Hersholt films gets bumped. But hopefully they'll be rescheduled later.

screen-shot-2019-02-28-at-2.06.21-pm.png

In tribute will they be singing around his coffin (like this)?

c855c0f9284cdf605216d41687610de8.jpg

:P

Sorry couldn't resist....RIP.