spence

WHO SHOULD BE NEXT OSCAR HOST???

30 posts in this topic

I poised this question before, but no takers?  In your opinion who should/really deserves to be the next annual Oscar host???

Jimmy Kimmel is no the host of the 2 lowest rated shows in history & is just too political.  Jimmy Fallon in my view deserves a shot & Letterman again, give him a 2nd chance, after all it was his writers back then. & above all BILLY CRYSTAL, who is constantly voted all-time A#1 greatest host in poll after poll, but says it's just to tiring. Back when champ Bob Hope held the record-(15 to 18 times) it wasn't nearly as epic a show.

That personally brings myself to another, Oscar victor: George Clooney?

Please send own thoughts

Has to be someone non political, non controversial, no hidden past but, well known and successful.

I nominate Alexa ! : hero_01.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Oscar the Grouch.  Duh.  

And they should hand out gold spray-painted mini-garbage cans as the award.

• Haha 1

How about a "host/hostess in residence"?  You know, someone good at "master of ceremonies" type duties, but has no connection to movies, the movie biz or even ANY aspect of "show biz".   

Now, I don't know who that would be, but their NOT being well known publicly, and therefore too, politically ambiguous,  would make for a well paced show, and lacking in needless controversy. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

How about a "host/hostess in residence"?  You know, someone good at "master of ceremonies" type duties, but has no connection to movies, the movie biz or even ANY aspect of "show biz".   

Now, I don't know who that would be, but their NOT being well known publicly, and therefore too, politically ambiguous,  would make for a well paced show, and lacking in needless controversy. 

Sepiatone

It seems as though they already have that. The anonymous female announcer who has been doing it for a while now is really all they need. And she doesn't require a ten-minute cold open with tons of awkward star cameos to boost her ego. She's already the "voice" of the Oscars, so just stick with her.

• Like 1

Ratings were up a bit from last 2 years! Very early word now is 2 time contender Melissa McCarthy may be next host

The trouble I saw was.....

Sure.  They did without a host and some thought without that extra "entertainment factor" it would shorten the broadcast.  But too, it seemed, there was an extension of the time people took to thank everyone from the doctor who spanked them to life at birth to the person who last asked for their autograph.  :(

Sepiatone 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 6:43 PM, spence said:

I poised this question before, but no takers?  In your opinion who should/really deserves to be the next annual Oscar host???

Jimmy Kimmel is no the host of the 2 lowest rated shows in history & is just too political.  Jimmy Fallon in my view deserves a shot & Letterman again, give him a 2nd chance, after all it was his writers back then. & above all BILLY CRYSTAL, who is constantly voted all-time A#1 greatest host in poll after poll, but says it's just to tiring. Back when champ Bob Hope held the record-(15 to 18 times) it wasn't nearly as epic a show.

Please send own thoughts

Nobody!  This year's show was just fine and much shorter (3 hours 18 minutes) without a host.

On 2/26/2019 at 10:59 AM, Sepiatone said:

The trouble I saw was.....

Sure.  They did without a host and some thought without that extra "entertainment factor" it would shorten the broadcast.  But too, it seemed, there was an extension of the time people took to thank everyone from the doctor who spanked them to life at birth to the person who last asked for their autograph.  :(

Sepiatone 

Which I'm sure is exactly where they wanted to go with that.  Nobody to do the "vaudeville hook", i.e. yanking them off stage with a cane.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:57 PM, GGGGerald said:

Has to be someone non political, non controversial, no hidden past but, well known and successful.

I nominate Alexa ! : hero_01.png

Spot on!  I don't think I could top that one...but I can try:

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/richard_stallman_theater.jpg

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Spot on!  I don't think I could top that one...but I can try:

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/richard_stallman_theater.jpg

GROSS. Is that Ron Jeremy?

Richard Stallman.  Privacy and open source/free software advocate.  One of the most prominent "off the grid" guys to ever live.  He would absolutely be the very last person on the entire planet to own an Alexa.

I have not watched the Oscar telecast in over forty years and I do not miss it at all.  But with the way movies are made now why not have a CGI host(s) who would appeal to everyone's needs and wants to what a Oscar host should be.  It would be fun to see how the powers to be would handle this. 

Would they CGI on the stage a Bob Hope? Bette Davis? Marilyn Monroe? Pearl Bailey? James Dean? John Wayne? Judy Garland? A generic man/woman?  I bet the ratings would be sky high for this particular Oscar telecast.  Its a shame it would be impossible to do this because you would have to be granted permission from so many attorneys and go through so many legal hoops to use any of the before-mentioned likeness with the exception of the generic man/woman.  Also the attorneys would want their respective clients to be paid lots of money for their appearance.  The people attending the Oscars might be greatly disappointed, annoyed and saddened with this situation because they would have to watch the monitors to see who is on stage!!!  

On 2/24/2019 at 7:43 PM, spence said:

Please send own thoughts

As long as it is not Seth Rogen [sp?], I'm fine, Spence.

Miss seeing your posts! Stop in more often...

36 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Why Not?

The Oscars had no host because the Academy leaders believed they couldn't find anyone that was 'vanilla' enough that also was entertaining.     E.g. Hart was removed due to anti-gay comments.   Cooper is the face of CNN and CNN and Trump are at odds.     This makes Cooper not vanilla enough.   

I don't believe the Country Music Awards had the Dixie Chicks as hosts when GWB was President.

A brand needs to avoid offending any significant demographic and in this age of hyper sensitivity that isn't easy.

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Oscars had no host because the Academy leaders believed they couldn't find anyone that was 'vanilla' enough that also was entertaining.     E.g. Hart was removed due to anti-gay comments.   Cooper is the face of CNN and CNN and Trump are at odds.     This makes Cooper not vanilla enough.   

I don't believe the Country Music Awards had the Dixie Chicks as hosts when GWB was President.

A brand needs to avoid offending any significant demographic and in this age of hyper sensitivity that isn't easy.

And the Academy accidentally discovered that not only was a host not necessary, but that viewers preferred the show with no host.

So no host next year, either.