antoniacarlotta

Carl Laemmle Documentary

5 posts in this topic

One of my greatest gripes in this world is just how LITTLE there is out there about Universal Studios founder, Carl Laemmle. Not only did he start one of the biggest movie studios in the world, but he won a Supreme Court case against Thomas Edison, and saved hundreds of Jewish families from Europe during WWII by signing affidavits for them, and setting them up with homes and jobs in the United States. Still - outside of this forum, of course - so few people have ever heard of him!

Last year I got the opportunity to be a part of Carl Laemmle, a documentary feature about his life, and it's FINALLY OUT! It's honestly really well done, and I promise I'm not just saying that because I'm in it ;) 

It's playing at festivals around the country (and a few international screenings as well,) with more dates to be added. Below I talk a bit more about the movie and show the film's trailer. 

Hope you all find a city near you to watch it, and would love to know what you think! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

I'm confused; "antoniacarlotta" stated that Carl Laemmle saved hundreds of Jewish families from Europe during WWII by signing affidavits for them and setting them up with homes and jobs in the United States. How could he have done this when WWII began on Sept. 1, 1939 and Carl Laemmle died on Sept, 24, 1939? He died three weeks after the war began. 

2 hours ago, midnight08 said:

I'm confused; "antoniacarlotta" stated that Carl Laemmle saved hundreds of Jewish families from Europe during WWII by signing affidavits for them and setting them up with homes and jobs in the United States. How could he have done this when WWII began on Sept. 1, 1939 and Carl Laemmle died on Sept, 24, 1939? He died three weeks after the war began. 

Sorry, I should have worded that better. Though WWII didn't officially start until September 1939, Hitler's rise to power began in the early 1930s. Concentration camps started around 1933, I believe. Jews weren't safe staying in most of Europe, but had a difficult time reaching safety in other countries. Carl Laemmle used his own money and resources in order to save Jewish families so they wouldn't be sent to camps or killed. For many of them, he found them jobs at Universal. When the US government started denying Carl's affidavits, he encouraged other relatives to do the same, and sometimes managed to find other creative methods. In one instance I found, he bought the "western hemisphere rights" to a hot dog company started by a German refugee, and got him in the United States that way. Additionally, Carl started a fund that helped support the families he saved, long after he passed away. 

The documentary goes into all of this in much greater detail, and includes interviews survivors, as well as some children/grandchildren of those Carl saved.

• Thanks 1

Wow thanks for posting this A-C!

I don't think anyone who is part of a documentary automatically likes it or endorses it. In fact, most who are emotionally invested in the subject tend to have more criticisms than those who don't "know" about the subject.

The fact you like this film, that you don't feel stuff has been left out or unduly focused on is actually a great testimony. I just love the tag line of "He gave us make believe monsters...then saved people from real ones" is brilliant.

I really look forward to seeing this!

• Thanks 1