Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Misleading Titles

89 posts in this topic

At first glance, the movie "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman" sounds so polite, as if the Monster and Larry Talbot are wearing three-piece suits specially made for them by Brooks Brothers and are being formally introduced at the Engineers Club.

I find the title amusing, as it gives a very Emily Vanderbilt picture of their first encounter, and the parts should be played by the debonair Errol Flynn shaking hands with the genteel Tyrone Power, both in frightening regalia. 

Now for movie buffs, we all get it, but imagine those who don't, plus we're not even mentioning that in Michael Cohen shorthand ways, we also know instinctively due to watching too many horror films, that it is Frankenstein's creation, the Monster, who is meeting up with the Wolfman, not his creator. Of course this misleading title is a minor faux example, but I'm sure there are so many more serious types to explore. Imagine wasting your hard earned money if the title said something like "Tammy and Godzilla Go to Hawaii" and you thought you'd be seeing some romantic interludes.

Nevertheless, misleading titles are interesting and if you can name some more egregious examples, that would be revelatory.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kingrat said:

It's amusing that Woman on the Run is about a man on the run.

Yea,  noir films are often have misleading titles;   E.g. Kiss of Death should have been called Stairway of Death.

• Haha 5

'Black Narcissus' --there's not a single flower of any kind in the movie at all, is there? Story takes place in the Himalayas.

'Pygmalion' - no character is named thusly, in this story.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  noir films are often have misleading titles;   E.g. Kiss of Death should have been called Stairway of Death.

10.jpg

"Hee, hee, hee, hee ! I like that, 'Stairway to Death'. Yeah, good one here, James!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

The titular character's name is actually Major-General Clive Wynne-Candy.

(...and he doesn't die in it either)

• Like 3

3:10 to Yuma

C'mon, EVERYBODY knows that train never runs on-time!

(...and so perhaps "Sometime Around 3:10 or so to Yuma" should have been the title of THAT one) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

How about "Frankenstein Versus The Space Monster" (1965).  In this case it was a horribly damaged humanoid robot with a handful of electron vacuum tubes that tended to short out for a brain.  Fun movie but no Frankenstein, and of course the Space Monster is only shown for a few seconds here and there at the very end.

Here's a nice little "filler scene", some may say one of the better parts of the movie.  It has almost nothing to do with the plot, other than two scientists getting from point A to point B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SKIPPY (1931)...there's no peanut butter in this movie.

THE LITTLE FOXES (1941)...there are no foxes in this movie.

THE CHOCOLATE SOLDIER (1941)...there's no chocolate in this movie.

STAND BY FOR ACTION (1942)...there's no action in this movie.

BEYOND THE FOREST (1948)...there's no forest in this movie.

THE STORY OF SEA-BISCUIT (1949)...there are no biscuits in this movie.

SILK STOCKINGS (1957)...there's no silk in this movie.

PORK CHOP HILL (1959)...there's no pork chop, or applesauce, in this movie.

A FEVER IN THE BLOOD (1961)...there's no blood in this movie.

DOG DAY AFTERNOON (1975)...there's no dog in this movie.

HAMBURGER HILL (1987)...there's no hamburger in this movie.

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991)...there is no silence in this movie. No lambs either. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

'Triumph of the Will' by Leni Rifenstahl. They didn't triumph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

'When Time Ran Out' starring Paul Newman. It ran 00:1:20:30 too long.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yeah and also his name is Adolf not Will. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shadow Of The Thin Man: The titular "Thin Man" dies off-screen early in "The Thin Man".
The Thin Man Goes Home: See above.
Song Of The Thin Man: See above.
Thirteen Women: Only eleven women of the original thirteen women made it to the final cut of the film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

REMEMBER THE NIGHT --  as this happens over 2 weeks, uh, which "night" should we remember?

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT -- see above

THE BAND WAGON -- no band, no wagon

FUNNY FACE -- Audrey Hepburn. Enough said.

THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE -- what rose?!?!?!?!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948)...technically Mr. Blandings hires other people to build the house for him and his family.

A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME (1964)...oh yeah? Then what is it supposed to be?

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (1966)...shouldn't it be WHERE'S VIRGINIA WOOLF?, since she does not appear in this movie.

LEONARD PART 6 (1987)...I don't think anyone ever found the first five installments. But maybe that's because the movie was such a bomb, nobody cared.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

'Black Narcissus' --there's not a single flower of any kind in the movie at all, is there? Story takes place in the Himalayas.

'Pygmalion' - no character is named thusly, in this story.

Now I almost always agree with you, Sarge but deep in the recesses of my mind, I think there might be mention of the Black Narcissus in the scent that Sabu was wearing that the nuns found offensive.

But I might just be hallucinating...

As for no Pymalion in the story, we all know you are just joshing!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Gotta say, though the premise might be revolting those highly lit nighttime scenes by Leni, are rivetting!

And you're right about no "triumph" unless we connect it with the origins of the Triumph Motor Company from way back in their Nuremberg days before they went British?

15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948)...technically Mr. Blandings hires other people to build the house for him and his family.

A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME (1964)...oh yeah? Then what is it supposed to be?

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (1966)...shouldn't it be WHERE'S VIRGINIA WOOLF?, since she does not appear in this movie.

LEONARD PART 6 (1987)...I don't think anyone ever found the first five installments. But maybe that's because the movie was such a bomb, nobody cared.

So true about poor Mr. Blandings. I love the scene with Myrna telling the painter all the chosen colors for the rooms!

Thanks, TB!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Now I almost always agree with you, Sarge

Do you think Markoff is the utmost and ginchiest poster on the TCM boards? I think you said that before

• Thanks 1

The Curse of Frankenstein

1499467837004.jpg.f9a36827f70be852301803fe9545f89e.jpg

(Never mind that Frankenstein was the doctor.)

20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

No, that was actually explained in the movie:  See, Leonard was a secret agent, so the first five missions were TOP SECRET! (chuckle!) :D.................Now I'm glad Bill's in jail.

hey! I resemble that remark! An' for your elucidation smart guy, the word is 'gauche'. That's me all over!