SummerStars

TCM's first few monthly schedules

10 posts in this topic

With the anniversary of TCM coming up in just a little over a month from now,  I’ve been wondering if there’s any existing schedules of TCM’s first three months of broadcast (April, May, and June 1994).  I have also been wondering exactly what time TCM had started broadcasting.  Was it during the daytime or was it in the early evening?  I also have been very curious as to which movies were shown on that very first day of broadcast (April 14, 1994).  We already know that GONE WITH THE WIND was the first movie ever played, and also that one short film titled 100 YEARS AT THE MOVIES, which was created especially for the launch of TCM.  I have reason to believe that particular short film was the first thing to ever be seen on that network as soon as it went on the air (most especially since it references the date, April 14, 1894, as being the exact date when motion-pictures made their public debut).  I wouldn’t be surprised if any of the “true classic” movies were also shown on TCM’s first day, such as CASABLANCA or even CITIZEN KANE.  Since TCM has for years been presenting movies in a specific order at certain times during the day to highlight either the Star of the Month, Spotlight or Special Theme, or else just a daytime theme by certain classification, I suppose the movies were just presented at random without any particular order during the first month of programming.  This seems likely because TCM started only midway through the month of April in 1994, and they didn’t start saluting a star of the month until the following May, and since TCM was just new at the time, I guess they just wanted to show many of the most significant films that they had the rights to back then.  So I would just really like to know what movies were shown during the first three months of TCM.

I've had an ongoing project on here, pretty much ever since I joined this forum, which tracks TCM's entire broadcast history - minus those months and some others.  Every so often people approach me, usually via PM, either on this forum or on another.  They usually have had good information for me to add to my project.  There are maybe one or two individuals who approached me on these first few months, but for one reason or another couldn't quite come through.  They are out there, but those who have them don't know about my project, don't have the means, or simply aren't interested.

These first few months would have been on schedule cards, you likely know what I am referring to based on your inquiry.

Let me know if anything comes through on your end.  My missing months are at the bottom of this page:
http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports.htm

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 4:24 AM, MovieCollectorOH said:

I've had an ongoing project on here, pretty much ever since I joined this forum, which tracks TCM's entire broadcast history - minus those months and some others.  Every so often people approach me, usually via PM...

I think I'm one of those you're referring to who told you I have a lot of the old schedules. But we never worked out a way for me to get them to you. Anyway, re-checking the dates you still need, I find I still have some you are missing: April & May 1994 and July 1995. I was pretty sure I also had a lot of the 1998 & 1999 schedules too (by that time they were the "Now Playing" booklets) but I can't seem to locate them right now.

But it shoudn't be hard for me to get copies of the April & May 1994 and July 1995 schedules off to you. We'll have to get back in touch by PM.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:08 AM, musicalnovelty said:

I think I'm one of those you're referring to who told you I have a lot of the old schedules. But we never worked out a way for me to get them to you. Anyway, re-checking the dates you still need, I find I still have some you are missing: April & May 1994 and July 1995. I was pretty sure I also had a lot of the 1998 & 1999 schedules too (by that time they were the "Now Playing" booklets) but I can't seem to locate them right now.

But it shoudn't be hard for me to get copies of the April & May 1994 and July 1995 schedules off to you. We'll have to get back in touch by PM.

Hi,

Sounds great.  Hope all is well.

I'll PM you.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:24 PM, SummerStars said:

With the anniversary of TCM coming up in just a little over a month from now,  I’ve been wondering if there’s any existing schedules of TCM’s first three months of broadcast (April, May, and June 1994)... 

Yes, I do have schedules for those first months of TCM. Over the years, as the question came up of what were the first movies shown, I have listed them. Rather than trying to find any of those old posts, I'll list them again...later after I dig out the old schedules.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:08 AM, musicalnovelty said:

Yes, I do have schedules for those first months of TCM. Over the years, as the question came up of what were the first movies shown, I have listed them. Rather than trying to find any of those old posts, I'll list them again...later after I dig out the old schedules.

Okay, thanks for responding!  I look forward to seeing those schedules once you get a chance to post them.

I just thought of something.  Perhaps, in honor of TCM's anniversary this coming month, maybe, just maybe at some point TCM could (and should) do something nostalgic and show some of the original identifications and bumpers from their first year.  For instance, the intro before a movie begins with the jazz musicians and people dancing.  The only "original" bumper from TCM's first year that they still show is the "All Night" one, for movies shown usually after 2:00am. 

Still, just a thought.

41 minutes ago, SummerStars said:

I just thought of something.  Perhaps, in honor of TCM's anniversary this coming month, maybe, just maybe at some point TCM could (and should) do something nostalgic and show some of the original identifications and bumpers from their first year.  For instance, the intro before a movie begins with the jazz musicians and people dancing.  The only "original" bumper from TCM's first year that they still show is the "All Night" one, for movies shown usually after 2:00am. 

Still, just a thought.

Yeah and they should really bring back the original Silent Sundays intro. too. :) 

While on the topic of TCM's original network identifications, does anyone happen to remember this one commercial that didn't necessarily air on TCM, but it was frequently shown on other Turner-owned networks, like TBS.  This commercial featured a fast-paced montage of scenes from various classic movies set to the tune of "Sing, Sing, Sing, Sing" from the Broadway version of "42nd Street".  I don't remember what movie scenes were shown, it's been quite a long time since I had last seen it.  I recall there was a male voice over who said at the end of the commercial to call your local cable provider to get Turner Classic Movies.  I believe this was first shown about four years after TCM debuted.  It just seems as though back then, TCM had a lot of promos, commercials, and other network spots that had soundtracks of either jazz or swing music, probably just to make the viewers get the feel of the "classic" movie era.  This kind of music is very common in classic movies, so it just makes sense that TCM used this music a lot back then.