papyrusbeetle

How did Rock Hudson REALLY catch AIDS?

11 posts in this topic

Reading the new biography of Rock Hudson (ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS) started me wondering.

Rock had open-heart surgery after a possible heart attack in 1981. Couldn't he have gotten a transfusion of AIDS-tainted blood?

Blood banks certainly weren't TESTING for AIDS in 1981. And getting a blood transfusion would be a SURE way getting the virus, instead of the unknown, unseen, and private sex life he had.

---if anyone knows WHAT YEAR "AIDS" appeared, please tell us.

It's possible Hudson contracted it through a transfusion. But I don't think the possibility of his getting it through unprotected sex can be discounted either. 

The main point is he got it and died from it.

In the early days, AIDS was known by another name (GRID). The first reported cases were in June 1981.

• Like 1

I never thought of the blood transfusion theory. I guess it could be either through a blood transfusion with infected blood or promiscuity through the decades. I love his movies with Doris Day!!

As TB said, The New York Times reported the first known cases in 1981, but subsequent testing of tissue samples later confirmed that some deaths in the U. S. in the 1970's, and at least one in the late 1960's, were AIDS-related. Once the fact that there was a long incubation period became known, it was speculated that the influx of visitors from around the world to attend the big Bicentennial festivities in NYC in the summer of 1976 was a tipping point, meaning that infections were happening in this country well before full-blown cases were being reported. It's true that blood screening procedures weren't in place in 1981 when Hudson had surgery, but I wouldn't say that a blood transfusion was a SURE way to be infected, as opposed to directly having sex with an infected person.

It's been estimated that the first transmission of some early form of HIV from monkey to human happened in Africa sometime early in the 20th Century and that it first came to the Western Hemisphere sometime in the 1960's through Haitians who worked in the Congo.

• Thanks 1

For some reason (Doris doesn't even know), Rock always called her Eunice. This has nothing to do with this thread.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:28 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

Reading the new biography of Rock Hudson (ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS) started me wondering.

Rock had open-heart surgery after a possible heart attack in 1981. Couldn't he have gotten a transfusion of AIDS-tainted blood?

Blood banks certainly weren't TESTING for AIDS in 1981. And getting a blood transfusion would be a SURE way getting the virus, instead of the unknown, unseen, and private sex life he had.

---if anyone knows WHAT YEAR "AIDS" appeared, please tell us.

The famous black tennis star Arthur Ashe got AIDS through a blood transfusion.

It's possible the same thing could have happened to Rock Hudson, however Rock Hudson was well known to have a flamboyant and not at all hidden sex life in the gay community.

That is a staggering, asinine question pal???  He even left his will & testament to his live in lover from what I understand & either his male lover towards to end or another-(same with Liberace & his) left all to this individual & further more this person sued someone & worrying he'd not also catch the disease  As for me I always try 7 separate the achievements on screen from a person's personal life-recently *Kevin Spacey is the ultimate choice in this regard  & still his per as B. Benedict in the legendary GIANT was great!  & others that left all to their live in male companion are>RAYMOND BURR, J. EDGAR HOOVER & others I can't recall at present

On 3/5/2019 at 3:56 PM, TopBilled said:

It's possible Hudson contracted it through a transfusion. But I don't think the possibility of his getting it through unprotected sex can be discounted either. 

The main point is he got it and died from it.

In the early days, AIDS was known by another name (GRID). The first reported cases were in June 1981.

TopBilled-(arguably thee finest on these forums buddy)  never firget summer of '85, because I was in the hospital ATTHE TIME & THEIR TV SHOWS Hudson AT 6'6 HAVING TO HAVE LOTS OF GUYS CARRYING HIM OFF THE PLANE EITHER GOING TO OR COMING FROM pARIS

• Thanks 1