Sign in to follow this  
jakeem

Actor Jan-Michael Vincent (1945-2019)

35 posts in this topic

Actor Jan-Michael Vincent, who starred in the 1980s' miniseries "Herman Wouk's 'The Winds of War'" and the television series "Airwolf," died February 10, 2019 at the age of 73. He is said to have died of cardiac arrest in an Asheville, North Carolina hospital. 

He had battled many personal problems, including health issues, substance abuse, auto accidents and financial woes. In 2014, he revealed to The National Enquirer that his right leg had been amputated below the knee as a complication of peripheral artery disease.

Image result for jan-michael vincent images

Vincent's acting career began in the late 1960s when he was noticed by a talent scout. One of his early noteworthy roles was in "Harold Robbins' 'The Survivors'," a short-lived 1969 ABC drama series that starred Lana Turner, George Hamilton, Ralph Bellamy, Kevin McCarthy, Diana Muldaur and Louis Hayward. Vincent played Jeffrey Hastings, the son of jet-setters Tracy Carlyle Hastings (Turner) and Philip Hastings (McCarthy). The program has been called television's first miniseries.

Image result for the survivors jan-michael vincent lana turner

Vincent was reportedly Universal Pictures' first choice for the role of Matt Hooper, the marine biologist in the 1975 thriller "Jaws." But director Steven Spielberg wanted Richard Dreyfuss, who became a major star as a result of his performance in the blockbuster hit.

Among Vincent's screen credits: "The Undefeated" (1969, a Western starring John Wayne and Rock Hudson); "The Mechanic" (1972, headlined by Charles Bronson as a professional killer); Disney's "The World's Greatest Athlete" (1973, with Tim Conway and John Amos); the 1940s-era romance "Buster and Billie" (1974, with Joan Goodfellow as Billie); "Bite the Bullet" (1975, Richard Brooks' horse-race tale starring Gene Hackman, Candice Bergen and James Coburn); "White Line Fever" (1975, about a rebel trucker); "Baby Blue Marine" (1976, with Glynnis O'Connor); and "Hooper" (1978, starring Burt Reynolds and Sally Field).

In the 1983 miniseries "Herman Wouk's 'The Winds of War'," Vincent starred as Byron Henry -- the son of the well-connected Naval officer Victor "Pug" Henry (Robert Mitchum). On the eve of World War II, Byron found himself in a Nazi-dominated Europe with his new love interest Natalie Jastrow (Ali MacGraw, pictured below with Vincent). 

Image result for jan-michael vincent ali macgraw

The miniseries was a ratings success for ABC, but Vincent and MacGraw were among the actors replaced for the 1988 sequel, "Herman Wouk's 'War and Remembrance'." Byron was played by Hart Bochner, who was a decade younger than Vincent. Jane Seymour, almost 12 years younger than MacGraw, won a Primetime Emmy nomination for her performance as Natalie. The sequel won the Emmy for Outstanding Miniseries.

In January 1984, Vincent starred in the CBS TV-movie "Airwolf," in which he played Stringfellow Hawke -- a Vietnam-era pilot recruited by a top-secret U.S. government agency to retrieve an advanced helicopter prototype that had been taken to Libya by its creator (David Hemmings) . The production, created by Donald P. Bellisario ("Magnum, P.I.) also starred Ernest Borgnine and Alex Cord. 

From September 1984 to March 1986, Vincent, Borgnine, Cord and newcomer Jean Bruce Scott starred in the CBS series version of "Airwolf." A fourth season of "Airwolf" aired on the USA Network in 1987, but without the original stars.

Image result for jan-michael tet from "airwolf"

One of Vincent's best films before the bad times destroyed his career was "Big Wednesday" (1978), the tale of three surfing buddies co-written and directed by John Milius. Gary Busey and William Katt co-starred in the picture. It wasn't a box-office hit, but it has since developed a cult following.

Gary Busey Retweeted J.B. 🤙🏼

God bless you Jan-Michael Vincent in the spiritual realm.

RIP Jan-Michael Vincent

Roller coaster career (and private life as well) but the man did some fine work, particularly in the late '70s.

Jan-Michael Vincent was so huge when I was growing up - The Mechanic, Big Wednesday & my favorite Buster & Billie. Can anyone tell me why this movie has disappeared? No DVD/Blu/Stream. And whatever happened to Joan Goodfellow - she’s amazing in this film.

D1KHRMjUwAAHFm4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Ah, what a sad story.

Loved him in one of the best drive-in movies of all time, "Buster and Billie".

Thanks, Jakeem.

• Like 1

OH, MY!

Wonder why the secrecy?

He will be missed!  I totally enjoyed some his films-especially those in the 70s like The Mechanic, Buster and Billie, Baby Blue Marine and Big Wednesday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, don96 said:

He will be missed!  I totally enjoyed some his films-especially those in the 70s like The Mechanic, Buster and Billie, Baby Blue Marine and Big Wednesday.

THE MECHANIC is my favorite of the ones you mentioned.

• Like 2

I suppose the thing I remember JMV for the most is a TV movie he did back in the early

1970s called Tribes. He played a hippie dippie Marine recruit who had a failure to communicate

with his tough drill sargeant played by Darren McGavin. They got along like Joe Friday and

Jerry Garcia might have. But in the end they grew to respect one another, though JMV's

character still took off. I never paid much attention to his TV show or other movies.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I suppose the thing I remember JMV for the most is a TV movie he did back in the early

1970s called Tribes. He played a hippie dippie Marine recruit who had a failure to communicate

with his tough drill sargeant played by Darren McGavin. They got along like Joe Friday and

Jerry Garcia might have. But in the end they grew to respect one another, though JMV's

character still took off. I never paid much attention to his TV show or other movies.

"Tribes" was written by Marvin Schwartz and Tracy Keenan Wynn (son of the actor Keenan Wynn and grandson of the actor-comedian Ed Wynn). The drama, helmed by the distinguished director Joseph Sargent, aired as an installment of ABC's The Movie of the Week in November 1970. It won three Primetime Emmys, including an award for Schwartz and Wynn's teleplay.

Image result for jan-michael tribes

Damnation Alley (1977) isn't very good, but it's a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I saw a recent pic of him and it looked like he had part of a leg amputated.

Maybe this isnt the right place to mention this, but he had a role as a cop in the thoroughly awful direct to video 1995 movie ICE CREAM MAN (In which he is quite clearly HIGH AS A KITE) There is an especially long, tedious, and unsettling scene where his character has to walk through a room full of extras (BADLY) playing mental patients Who have taken over in Asylum.

It really does look like a high school haunted house production.

The guys from rifftrax  gave it their treatment and it tickled me so I actually bought it on Amazon prime.

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

"Tribes" was written by Marvin Schwartz and Tracy Keenan Wynn (son of the actor Keenan Wynn and grandson of the actor-comedian Ed Wynn). The drama, helmed by the distinguished director Joseph Sargent, aired as an installment of ABC's The Movie of the Week in November 1970. It won three Primetime Emmys, including Schwartz and Wynn's teleplay.

Image result for jan-michael tribes

I believe it got good ratings at the time, being very topical. I haven't seen it in years but while

a bit stereotypical still a good piece of work. Vincent also appeared in a few TV westerns and

yes was also on one episode of the 1960s version of Dragnet. It was warm for LA in March

and a strange smelling haze hung over the city. Interesting note on Vincent's Wikipedia

entry:

This article is being heavily edited because its subject has recently died. Knowledge about the circumstances of the death and surrounding events may change rapidly as more facts come to light. Initial news reports may be unreliable, and the last updates to this article may not reflect the most current information.Please feel free to improve this article or discuss changes on the talk page. 

39 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

This article is being heavily edited because its subject has recently died. Knowledge about the circumstances of the death and surrounding events may change rapidly as more facts come to light. Initial news reports may be unreliable, and the last updates to this article may not reflect the most current information.Please feel free to improve this article or discuss changes on the talk page. 

I can almost hear Jack Webb's Sgt. Friday reading the Wikipedia note!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

"Tribes" was written by Marvin Schwartz and Tracy Keenan Wynn (son of the actor Keenan Wynn and grandson of the actor-comedian Ed Wynn). The drama, helmed by the distinguished director Joseph Sargent, aired as an installment of ABC's The Movie of the Week in November 1970. It won three Primetime Emmys, including Schwartz and Wynn's teleplay.

My favorite TV movie of all time. Both McGavin and Vincent are excellent.

He also appeared in another of my favorite TV movies-"Sandcastles" a shot on videotape film with Vincent as a ghost who comes back to help a friend (Hershel Bernardi), Bonnie Bedelia falls in love with the ghostly Vincent. Bing Crosby's son Gary plays a villain. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jakeem said:

I can almost hear Jack Webb's Sgt. Friday reading the Wikipedia note!

Yeah, sounds a bit like the Miranda warning. You do give suspects the Miranda warning

don't you Sgt. Friday, because Gannon told us that.....

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2019 at 1:53 PM, TopBilled said:

As always, sad to hear when one of these deaths occur.

"string, this thing is almost a spaceship!" -Dom

:)

• Haha 1

Wow. This is just so very sad. It's like that movie Hooper was cursed. Both leading men - Burt Reynolds and Jan-Michael Vincent - were handsome heartthrobs in their heydays, but at the end were beset with health problems, financial problems, and their careers long gone.  RIP.

Wow.....

I was just watching THE MECHANIC on MOVIES! (I think) and was wondering whatever became of him.

Sad news indeed.  I thought he did fine regardless the role.   Plus, my ex thought he was so "hot"!  ;) 

Sepiatone

I try to see if there is another similar thread before I post; must've missed it this time.  Thanks  

51 minutes ago, cinecrazydc said:

I try to see if there is another similar thread before I post; must've missed it this time.  Thanks  

Looked for hearttrob and came up empty.  That happens. ;)

On 3/8/2019 at 5:00 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Oh, now I read Jake’s  post and see that indeed Vincent had to have a leg amputated 

How come?