TheCid

2020 Election

484 posts in this topic

Below is a link to an article in The State (Columbia, S.C.) newspaper re: the upcoming Democratic Primary.  The gist is that there are probably more Biden supporters than Harris supporters at this point - even after the debate.

Comes down to older blacks tend to vote in primary and they skew to Bidden because he is considered the most likely to defeat Trump.  They have also been through the long history of civil rights and realize that Bidden tried to do the right thing, but sometimes had to compromise to accomplish the most good. They also consider that he has long experience in government, especially in Washington.

Ironically, many blacks in S.C. and Iowa do NOT blame Bidden for supporting the Crime Bill.  In fact, they supported it because they saw what crime was doing to the black communities.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/election/article231926968.html

• Thanks 1

Thank you for that article.  Interesting and makes sense.

Biden, to me as a Trump supporter, is the logical candidate in the general election.  The Democrat primary contest is fascinating to me as an outside observer.

Steve and Cokie Roberts had another great column re: Biden being the best choice to defeat Trump.  Possibly the only choice.  They also point out that only about 25% of all voters consider themselves liberal.  Only 21% support universal health care.  Busing is opposed by 85+%.

The Democrats are well on their way to carrying New York and California and losing most, if not all, of the rest of the nation.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/opinion/cokie-and-steve-roberts-trump-is-a-lucky-man/article_695bee88-9f75-11e9-a277-6b909326d485.html

11 hours ago, TheCid said:

The Democrats are well on their way to carrying New York and California and losing most, if not all, of the rest of the nation.

I'm sitting here in NY and the (not intentional) funniest thing I hear from you Cid is how progressive name the candidate is besides Biden and from here I'm thinking they are for the most part in flow with the prevailing zeitgeist of everyone you meet. Most of the candidates seem maybe a bit left of center, but if you're saying that from where you sit they are far left the coutry's got some big problems that aren't going away with the next election. 

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

[...] if you're saying that from where you sit they are far left the country's got some big problems that aren't going away with the next election. 

I think you hit the nail on the head here. This is what TheCid's been saying for a while now, and I tend to believe him that many if not most of who he talks to or the sources he reads say this, meaning that may be where most of the country is.

The nation is moving to the right, driven by a number of factors, but a large part of it is the effectiveness of the right-wing media in shaping the narrative using click-bait sensationalism to paint the Democratic left as wholly on the lunatic fringe, instead of just a few vocal rabble-rousers. Be it "antifa" (only in today's climate could being anti-fascist become a bad thing), "gender-fluid" sexual identity politics, trillion dollar slavery reparation plans, or "they want to ban cows and airplanes", Fox news, right-wing websites and talk radio have shaped the "minds" of a large number of the baby-boomers across the nation with the modern politically-charged yellow journalism, and these older, mostly-retired people have nothing else to do but lap it up, get angry at who they are told to be angry with, and vote

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. This is what TheCid's been saying for a while now, and I tend to believe him that many if not most of who he talks to or the sources he reads say this, meaning that may be where most of the country is.

The nation is moving to the right, driven by a number of factors, but a large part of it is the effectiveness of the right-wing media in shaping the narrative using click-bait sensationalism to paint the Democratic left as wholly on the lunatic fringe, instead of just a few vocal rabble-rousers. Be it "antifa" (only in today's climate could being anti-fascist become a bad thing), "gender-fluid" sexual identity politics, trillion dollar slavery reparation plans, or "they want to ban cows and airplanes", Fox news, right-wing websites and talk radio have shaped the "minds" of a large number of the baby-boomers across the nation with the modern politically-charged yellow journalism, and these older, mostly-retired people have nothing else to do but lap it up, get angry at who they are told to be angry with, and vote

From here no woman it their right minds are going to vote to go back to being under the thumbs of men, I think you may be under counting their power across the country especially once they've seen which way the wind blew after the last presidential election.

For me I really have no dogs in the fight. I'm retired, doing what I want to do, when I want to do it, and happy as a clam. Getting entertained by poking at the rubes and laughing at the Clown Show.

My advise for all the minorities in the country is too makes lots of babies as quickly as you can that's the way you counter Faux News and the prissy moralists at their last grasp of power, who want to tell everyone how to live instead of letting them have life. liberty. and your personal individual pursuit of happiness. 

Image result for R Crumb Mr Natural

8 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

From here no woman it their right minds are going to vote to go back to being under the thumbs of men, I think you may be under counting their power across the country especially once they've seen which way the wind blew after the last presidential election.

I hope you're correct, and I'll do my part to try and make it so, but the eternal pessimist in me thinks otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I hope you're correct, and I'll do my part to try and make it so, but the eternal pessimist in me thinks otherwise. 

I've always been an optimist, and I've learned to stop worrying and love the bomb, the climate change, the melting icecaps, tectonic plate ****, the Yellowstone caldera erupting, an asteroid, antarctic pathogens..... lol let her rip!

Image result for R Crumb Mr Natural

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I'm sitting here in NY and the (not intentional) funniest thing I hear from you Cid is how progressive name the candidate is besides Biden and from here I'm thinking they are for the most part in flow with the prevailing zeitgeist of everyone you meet. Most of the candidates seem maybe a bit left of center, but if you're saying that from where you sit they are far left the coutry's got some big problems that aren't going away with the next election. 

They are perceived by much of the nation's voters as far left of center.  At least the ones getting all the attention.  I consider myself left of center, but even I find many of their most publicized proposals as being too far left - Medicare for All, free college, paying off student loans, federal pay raises just for teachers and similar.

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The nation is moving to the right, driven by a number of factors, but a large part of it is the effectiveness of the right-wing media in shaping the narrative using click-bait sensationalism to paint the Democratic left as wholly on the lunatic fringe, instead of just a few vocal rabble-rousers. Be it "antifa" (only in today's climate could being anti-fascist become a bad thing), "gender-fluid" sexual identity politics, trillion dollar slavery reparation plans, or "they want to ban cows and airplanes", Fox news, right-wing websites and talk radio have shaped the "minds" of a large number of the baby-boomers across the nation with the modern politically-charged yellow journalism, and these older, mostly-retired people have nothing else to do but lap it up, get angry at who they are told to be angry with, and vote. 

Actually Lawrence I think you "hit the nail on the head" as to what I am trying to say.  As you note, it is the ones that actually show up at the polls that make the difference.  The Republicans, Trump and right wing media have become very successful at getting voters who agree with them to the polls.  Nationwide, but especially in the swing states.  It is scare tactics, but it works.

12 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

For me I really have no dogs in the fight. I'm retired, doing what I want to do, when I want to do it, and happy as a clam. Getting entertained by poking at the rubes and laughing at the Clown Show.

My advise for all the minorities in the country is too makes lots of babies as quickly as you can that's the way you counter Faux News and the prissy moralists at their last grasp of power, who want to tell everyone how to live instead of letting them have life. liberty. and your personal individual pursuit of happiness. 

Voting for Trump does not place women under the thumbs of men.  I know more women than men who voted for Trump and most are college graduate professionals.  Many are fairly young as well.

While the Dems were successful in the 2018 elections, those were not presidential elections. Dems. also lost some US Senate seats.  GOPers continue to control most state governments.  That will increase after 2022 (census and gerrymandering in 2020).

If you live in America, you do  have a dog in this fight.  Both parties have people guilty of trying to tell others how to live.

Elizabeth WarrenVerified account @SenWarren 24m24 minutes ago

The facts are clear:

@RealDonaldTrump’s only environmental priority is to stuff the pockets of Big Oil & Big Coal companies that deepen the #ClimateCrisis & poison our water & air.

============================================

83 Environmental Rules Being
Rolled Back Under Trump

.... In some cases, the administration has failed to provide a strong legal argument in favor of proposed changes or agencies have skipped key steps in the rulemaking process, like notifying the public and asking for comment. In several cases, courts have ordered agencies to enforce their own rules. ......

the Trump administration’s environmental rollbacks could significantly increase greenhouse gas emissions and lead to thousands of extra deaths from poor air quality every year, according to a recent report ....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/climate/trump-environment-rollbacks.html

2 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

:rolleyes::(

The New York TimesVerified account @nytimes 2h2 hours ago

Tom Steyer, the California billionaire who toyed with a Democratic presidential campaign before announcing in January that he would not run, intends to enter the 2020 contest on Tuesday,

according to multiple people who have been told of his plans

giphy.gif

Another boost for Trump's reelection chances.

Kyle GriffinVerified account @kylegriffin1 11h11 hours ago

Amy McGrath, a retired Marine lieutenant colonel and combat pilot,

announced this morning that she's challenging Mitch McConnell for his Kentucky Senate seat in 2020.

-------------------------------------------

Amy McGrathVerified account @AmyMcGrathKY

I’m running to replace Mitch McConnell in the U.S. Senate.

Everything that’s wrong with Washington had to start somewhere—it started with him. With your help, we can defeat Mitch and defend democracy.

Join us: http://www.AmyMcGrath.com 

Just now, mr6666 said:

Kyle GriffinVerified account @kylegriffin1 11h11 hours ago

Amy McGrath, a retired Marine lieutenant colonel and combat pilot,

announced this morning that she's challenging Mitch McConnell for his Kentucky Senate seat in 2020.

She is running as a Democrat.  An uphill struggle in KY, but I wish her luck.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TheCid said:

She is running as a Democrat.  An uphill struggle in KY, but I wish her luck.

Bravo network hosted their annual Top Chef cooking competition in KY last season.   This is relevant since Bravo is a very LBGT friendly networks.     Which state the network decides to host the show relates to if a state is 'moving in the right direction' with regards to political views held by network executives,  as well as viewer focus groups.

Might won with 56% of the vote in 2014.     Maybe a Dem has a chance if she is a moderate and enough older voters have passed since 2014.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Bravo network hosted their annual Top Chef cooking competition in KY last season.   This is relevant since Bravo is a very LBGT friendly networks.     Which state the network decides to host the show relates to if a state is 'moving in the right direction' with regards to political views held by network executives,  as well as viewer focus groups.

Might won with 56% of the vote in 2014.     Maybe a Dem has a chance if she is a moderate and enough older voters have passed since 2014.

And I am sure monetary incentives have nothing to do with that.

Wikipedia:  "As of February 2019, 49.35% of the state's (KY) voters were officially registered as Democrats, 41.91% were registered Republican, who tend to be conservative whites. Some 8.73% were registered with some other political party or as Independents.[81] Despite this, the majority of persons who vote in the state have generally elected Republican candidates for federal office since around the turn of the 21st century.

The Republican Party of Kentucky holds majority in the upper house of the Kentucky General Assembly. They currently hold 27 of the 38 seats in the Kentucky Senate, while holding 47 out of 100 seats in the Kentucky House of Representatives."

"Both senators and five of six US House members are GOPers.  five of seven elected (ncluding gov.) are held by GOPers.  Trump overwhelmingly won KY."

• Thanks 1

Will Democratic Superdelegates Block a Progressive in 2020?

In the past, the superdelegates who were not pledged to any particular presidential candidate were able to vote for any candidate of their choice during the convention. Supporters of Bernie Sanders in 2016, however, objected to this rule saying that it biased the nomination process in favor of establishment candidates, such as Hillary Clinton. The nomination rules were thus changed last year so that superdelegates can no longer vote during the first ballot, but only during the second one and after, should no candidate have a majority of pledged delegates leading up to the first ballot. .......

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/will-democratic-superdelegates-block-a-progressive-in-2020/

9 states where the rules for voting have been changed or challenged ahead of 2020

The 2016 election proved that every vote counts. Now states that may be crucial in 2020 have passed or proposed measures that change the rules for voting.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/9-states-where-rules-voting-have-been-changed-or-challenged-n1026886?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

3 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Will Democratic Superdelegates Block a Progressive in 2020?

In the past, the superdelegates who were not pledged to any particular presidential candidate were able to vote for any candidate of their choice during the convention. Supporters of Bernie Sanders in 2016, however, objected to this rule saying that it biased the nomination process in favor of establishment candidates, such as Hillary Clinton. The nomination rules were thus changed last year so that superdelegates can no longer vote during the first ballot, but only during the second one and after, should no candidate have a majority of pledged delegates leading up to the first ballot. .......

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/will-democratic-superdelegates-block-a-progressive-in-2020/

Sounds like a good plan to me.  They will be looking for someone who can actually beat Donald Trump and help elect Dems. to House, Senate and state legislatures.  The 2020 state legislatures will do the re-districting for the next decade.