TheCid

2020 Election

469 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2019 at 10:57 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Prop-8,  the state ban on same-sex-marriage,  as well as Governor's Schwarenegger term (he had much more liberal social views then the national GOP party),    moved the county left on social issues.    Fiscally we still lean-right. 

We had a few remaining anti-gay incumbent members of Congress over the last 10 or so years but every 2 years either they would retire or be defeated (with many retiring because they knew they would be defeated since their POV was no longer the norm in the county).

Wow, that sounds like quite the place. Perhaps, they should rename it from Orange to Lemon (party) country. ;) :lol: :lol: 

23 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Wow, that sounds like quite the place. Perhaps, they should rename it from Orange to Lemon (party) country. ;) :lol: :lol: 

Any place that lacks idiotic fundamentalist is quite the place.  

On 8/10/2019 at 2:51 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Any place that lacks idiotic fundamentalist is quite the place.  

What was the famous Maxim Gorky quote about Fascism? More and more, I think it can be applied to fundamentalists. :lol: 

On 8/2/2019 at 5:32 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

unfair to voters to keep anyone off a ballot

Does that include convicted criminals?

Biden faces challenge from Warren in Iowa

"...Warren, showing her with 19 percent and ahead of both Sanders (9 percent) and Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who won 11 percent.

But Biden was still in first, with 28 percent.

“I would definitely say she is the largest threat to Joe Biden,” Pat Rynard, founder of the popular Iowa Democratic news site Iowa Starting Line, said of Warren.

“My main observation is that she is the coalition candidate. She is the one in the field who can appeal to progressive activists while not scaring away the rest of the voters,” Rynard said.

Democratic consultant Tracy Sefl, who hails from Iowa, said Warren — who spent the first five months of her campaign tailor-focused on the state — is gaining traction because her campaign fits well with what Iowa voters want......

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/456904-biden-faces-challenge-from-warren-in-iowa

• Like 1

There are many reasons why candidates should be excluded from ballots.  It is up to the people through their elected representatives to determine the the standards.  Then the courts can weigh in if there appears to be a legal issue.

For example.  In my town, you have to live in the ward you wish to represent to be on the ballot.

• Thanks 1

I have never understood why so much weight is placed on the confusing Iowa caucuses.  My understanding is that a bunch of people get together at some inconvenient for many time.  Then they wander around a room picking a stand-in for the candidate they wish to support.  There is some kind of winnowing out process to get to a final count.  Then, those people get together at a later date for a more official caucus to actually pick delegates.  But, by this time the media has already reported on the first caucus and moved on to other states holding primaries.

Appears to be the least representative system for picking candidates and receives far too much weight in the long run.

Just as the South Carolina primaries receive too much coverage, as do the ones in New Hampshire. 2/3's of Dem primary voters in S.C. will be black according to The State newspaper.  41% of Dem voters favor Biden per Monmouth poll.

Did Warren and Harris call the Michael Brown death a murder????  Yea,  they did.

Note that the DOJ under Obama conducted a very complete investigation (and come on, we know Holder had an agenda),  and the death was ruled justified.    Brown was attempting to take the gun from the officer and was shot.   Oh,  and he didn't have his hands raised.  That was disproved as well by the DOJ investigation. 

Yea,  I understand pandering to people-of-color is the way to win the Dem nomination (say reparations 3 times!),  but these type of dumb,  inaccurate statements typically doom one in the General election (well unless you're Trump!).

• Like 1

Apparently Hickenlooper is probably going to announce that he is withdrawing from the Dem Pres. Primary and may run for senator.  Per CNN

Also saw Claire McCaskill (on CCN or MSNBC) pontificating that Beto O'Rourke would better serve the Dem party and America if he dropped out of Pres Primary and ran for senator from Texas against John Cornyn.  She made a very valid point, it really won't help if the Dems gain control of House and White House, but leave Mitch McConnell in charge of the Senate.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

why in heaven would they need protection? the left adores them.

I think the left may be planning to adore them with baseball bats.

57 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

why in heaven would they need protection? the left adores them.

:lol:

Why would you presume it is the left that the American Taliban needs protection from?

Hickenlooper is out of Dem Primary.  So, one down and 22 to go to get to the one that will beat Trump.

10 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Why would you presume it is the left that the American Taliban needs protection from?

Evangelicals aren't the left.

Try to keep up.

Will low-polling 2020 Dems make the jump to Senate races?

Politics Aug 16, 2019 4:04 PM EDT

A whopping 23 Democrats are running to defeat President Donald Trump, but only one can win, leaving many to ask whether low-polling candidates should bow out and instead help flip the U.S. Senate to their party.

Whoever wins the presidency will be unable to break Congressional gridlock and get the sweeping changes they’re promising without control of the Senate.

Even with a Democrat in the White House, the party will still need to flip three seats. They’d need four seats to gain control of the Senate with Trump in the White House, because the vice president can vote to break a Senate tie.

From homestate newspapers to political activists, the calls for 2020 presidential candidates to drop out and run for Senate have been growing louder,

especially for the candidates from competitive states who have failed to break through on the national stage............

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/will-low-polling-2020-dems-make-the-jump-to-senate-races

:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Will low-polling 2020 Dems make the jump to Senate races?

Politics Aug 16, 2019 4:04 PM EDT

A whopping 23 Democrats are running to defeat President Donald Trump, but only one can win, leaving many to ask whether low-polling candidates should bow out and instead help flip the U.S. Senate to their party.

Whoever wins the presidency will be unable to break Congressional gridlock and get the sweeping changes they’re promising without control of the Senate.

Even with a Democrat in the White House, the party will still need to flip three seats. They’d need four seats to gain control of the Senate with Trump in the White House, because the vice president can vote to break a Senate tie.

From homestate newspapers to political activists, the calls for 2020 presidential candidates to drop out and run for Senate have been growing louder,

especially for the candidates from competitive states who have failed to break through on the national stage............

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/will-low-polling-2020-dems-make-the-jump-to-senate-races

As I posted earlier, former Sen. McCaskill made this same observation on Aug. 15th. 

Hopefully it is the beginning of a groundswell to convince Dem politicians to do what is best for the party and America and run for an office they can win.  Not only for the US Senate, but also for the governorships and even state legislatures that will control redistricting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

As I posted earlier, former Sen. McCaskill made this same observation on Aug. 15th. 

Hopefully it is the beginning of a groundswell to convince Dem politicians to do what is best for the party and America and run for an office they can win.  Not only for the US Senate, but also for the governorships and even state legislatures that will control redistricting.

How many GOP Senate seats will be up for re-election in 2020 in states where any of these no-change-to-be-the-nominee can run?

E.g. Buttigieg;   I assume he can only run for the Senate in Indiana in 2020 (I.e. not enough time to move to another state to quality for 2020).   While both of the Indiana Senators are from the GOP the next election isn't until 2022.      

Of course as you note there are other positions then Senator.  E.g. Buttigieg could run against Governor Holcomb in 2020. 

Until I can see actual possible contest, with details, overall this 'observation' looks empty to me.

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

How many GOP Senate seats will be up for re-election in 2020 in states where any of these no-change-to-be-the-nominee can run?

E.g. Buttigieg;   I assume he can only run for the Senate in Indiana in 2020 (I.e. not enough time to move to another state to quality for 2020).   While both of the Indiana Senators are from the GOP the next election isn't until 2022.      

Of course as you note there are other positions then Senator.  E.g. Buttigieg could run against Governor Holcomb in 2020. 

Until I can see actual possible contest, with details, overall this 'observation' looks empty to me.

Beto O'Rourke is the best case in Texas against John Cornyn.  Although he says no - at least for now.  I did not specifically state that any of the other Dems running for nomination should drop out and run for Senate, but if possible that would be a good idea.  

I'm too lazy to search and see which of the non currently serving senators are running for nomination or if any of the currently serving senators are up for re-election (I assume not).

My intent was that Dems at many levels need to look at the serious issue of removing McConnell as Majority Leader by taking control of the Senate.  That means more serious candidates running for US Senate.  I also "observed" that Dems need to take seriously the consequences of NOT taking over more state governorships and legislatures.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Beto O'Rourke is the best case in Texas against John Cornyn.  Although he says no - at least for now.  I did not specifically state that any of the other Dems running for nomination should drop out and run for Senate, but if possible that would be a good idea.  

I'm too lazy to search and see which of the non currently serving senators are running for nomination or if any of the currently serving senators are up for re-election (I assume not).

My intent was that Dems at many levels need to look at the serious issue of removing McConnell as Majority Leader by taking control of the Senate.  That means more serious candidates running for US Senate.  I also "observed" that Dems need to take seriously the consequences of NOT taking over more state governorships and legislatures.

O'Rourke is a sound example,  but not to be a Debbie-downer, Cornyn won the 2014 election with 61%.    Cruz beat O'Rourke in 2018 with just over 50% and in 2012 won with 56%.    I.e.  Cornyn has historically had much more support than Cruz and therefor 'on-paper' it should be easier for Cornyn to defeat O'Rourke then it was for Cruz.    Anyhow,  I assume O'Rouke is staying in because he is hoping for a V.P. slot.   Of course it could be because he knows the odds are high he can't beat Cornyn and losing two Senatorial elections in a row can really impact a political career.

Sorry but it appears you took my reply as being critical of your comments.   That wasn't the case at all.  I put 'observation' in quotes related to "Sen. McCaskill made this same observation",  and NOT any observation you were making.    I.e. it was her observation that looks empty at this time, not anything you laid down.

• Thanks 1

Former Beto O’Rourke Organizers Rally Behind New Texas Senate Candidate

".....,Tzintzún Ramirez, a longtime organizer and the founder of a Texas-based nonprofit that mobilizes young Latino voters, is the latest candidate to jump into a crowded Democratic primary race for the Senate seat currently held by Republican John Cornyn — but she may be the Democrats’ best bet, considering her team and progressive platform.

Tzintzún Ramirez, who describes herself as a proud Irish Mexican American, is embracing progressive policy stances like Medicare for All, the Green New Deal, “massive divestment from Immigration and Customs Enforcement,” and rejecting all corporate PAC money. She also plans to roll out a “bold” immigration plan meant to “protect the rights of immigrant workers and families.”

And the 37-year-old hopeful’s campaign will be stacked with veterans from O’Rourke’s 2018 Senate race:.....

https://theintercept.com/2019/08/12/texas-progressive-senate-candidate/?fbclid=IwAR0bODR157LudvXggQMvfGdnTe5v98nusFV5-ZXMVIqSLEy-uI0pUYml-oA

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Former Beto O’Rourke Organizers Rally Behind New Texas Senate Candidate

".....,Tzintzún Ramirez, a longtime organizer and the founder of a Texas-based nonprofit that mobilizes young Latino voters, is the latest candidate to jump into a crowded Democratic primary race for the Senate seat currently held by Republican John Cornyn — but she may be the Democrats’ best bet, considering her team and progressive platform.

Tzintzún Ramirez, who describes herself as a proud Irish Mexican American, is embracing progressive policy stances like Medicare for All, the Green New Deal, “massive divestment from Immigration and Customs Enforcement,” and rejecting all corporate PAC money. She also plans to roll out a “bold” immigration plan meant to “protect the rights of immigrant workers and families.”

And the 37-year-old hopeful’s campaign will be stacked with veterans from O’Rourke’s 2018 Senate race:.....

https://theintercept.com/2019/08/12/texas-progressive-senate-candidate/?fbclid=IwAR0bODR157LudvXggQMvfGdnTe5v98nusFV5-ZXMVIqSLEy-uI0pUYml-oA

It appears this is a serious article but to me it is a total joke;   These Dems believe they can beat Cornyn, who last won with 61%, in TEXAS, by moving more to the left?   

Of course getting out the people-of-color voter is key for any Dem to win, any election,  but in states like Texas,  one has to win the 'middle';  I.e. the independents and true-moderates from both major parties.   (one can't win with only progressives and non-whites). 

I don't know the other Dems that are trying to win the Dem primary for this Senate seat,  but if Ramirez is really the Dems best-bet,   the odds of winning this seat just got lower.

PS:  It also appears Dems in Texas are concerned people-of-color will NOT turnout unless 'one of their own' is the candidate.      I wonder if Beto was running if there would be the same concern.    E.g. Dem leaders in Texas believe Ramirez would motivate people-of-color to vote in 2020 more so than wonder boy,  but white, Beto.

• Like 1

John Hickenlooper, the former Colorado governor who ended his presidential campaign last week, announced he would run for a United States Senate seat.

It instantly makes him one of the Democrats’ best hopes in their quest to retake the chamber next year.