TheCid

2020 Election

525 posts in this topic

The below article pretty well sums up the Mueller report and the "impeachment" question.  It won't work.  The report is too vague, too confusing and too complex for the majority of people who will vote in 2020.  Every Republican in Congress will endorse Trump and attack the Mueller report and impeachment.  More importantly it will rile up the Trump base and the GOP and they will dominate the elections in 2020.  Count on it.  The Dems have nothing to offer to counter that - at least not yet.

Once again the key is the Electoral College and that is by state vote, not by House districts.

As for Trump, he has successfully avoided responsibility for any of his actions since he was born.  It will not change now.  Once re-elected he will be uncontrollable.  He has already learned the power of executive actions, even when some fail.  He has also learned about interim appointments for cabinet and other positions thereby avoiding Senate confirmation.

Calvin Woodward, AP, on "numb to Russia probe?" https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article229475684.html

Article below by Meg Kinard re: Dem campaigning in S.C. is interesting.  It "runs through [black] S.C. churches."  Of course it is an example of how the majority of Dems in S.C. are black and that is where the candidates will win or lose.

This year could be different in that if there is no Republican presidential primary, many Republicans and Independents may very well vote in the Dem primary.  As well as those Dems who frequently vote in the GOP primary when the Dem one is a done deal.

https://www.apnews.com/e3cd6d9a08c94ca59a1a427e6517cfd2

Massachusetts Rep. Seth Moulton Joins Democratic Race For President

.....touting a record of military service, bucking his party and arguing for younger leadership.

"The greatest generation saved our country from tyranny. It's time for our generation to step up and do the same," Moulton said in an announcement video posted early Monday.

His opening message highlights issues from the economy, including advancing jobs to combat climate change, cutting spending on "massive" weapons programs, cybersecurity to protect elections, gun control and restoring America's "moral authority."...........

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/22/714145274/massachusetts-rep-seth-moulton-joins-democratic-race-for-president

• Sad 1

the April 22 event that CNN has been advertising, in recent days, with gladiatorial gusto. “CNN PRESIDENTIAL TOWN HALLS: 

The graphic helpfully informed viewers about the timing of that event: back-to-back town halls featuring Amy Klobuchar (at 7 p.m. ET), Elizabeth Warren (8 p.m.), Bernie Sanders (9 p.m.), Kamala Harris (10 p.m.), and Pete Buttigieg (11 p.m.).

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/04/cnn-about-host-hunger-games-town-hall/587704/

11 hours ago, mr6666 said:

the April 22 event that CNN has been advertising, in recent days, with gladiatorial gusto. “CNN PRESIDENTIAL TOWN HALLS: 

The graphic helpfully informed viewers about the timing of that event: back-to-back town halls featuring Amy Klobuchar (at 7 p.m. ET), Elizabeth Warren (8 p.m.), Bernie Sanders (9 p.m.), Kamala Harris (10 p.m.), and Pete Buttigieg (11 p.m.).

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/04/cnn-about-host-hunger-games-town-hall/587704/

I watched parts of Warren's town hall.  Not impressed and her ideas will still turn off the majority of voters who will actually show up to vote in November.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

I watched parts of Warren's town hall.  Not impressed and her ideas will still turn off the majority of voters who will actually show up to vote in November.

Why do you assume a majority of voters think like you do????    I find that odd.    As we have discussed you are an over 70 white man from the south.   That no longer represents a majority demographic especially in the Dem party.   I have no idea how the majority of Dems will vote other than they typically follow identity politics (which of course helps Warren in one regard). 

Note that Warren is giving out prizes like it's Christmas;  E.g. forgiving student loans for up to 49 million Americans.   Isn't it logical to assume many of the 49 million are gullible enough to buy-into her nonsense and empty promises?

so stupe Bernie makes a big one last nite and says that criminals like murdering terrorist jihadist scum should be allowed to vote while in prison...

his own 2016 supporters should know damn well by now that he let them all down by not running against Hillary as aggressively has he could and now ivan kragoff is just continuing the stupidity routine.

Image result for ivan kragoff

9 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

so stupe Bernie makes a big one last nite and says that criminals like murdering terrorist jihadist scum should be allowed to vote while in prison...

his own 2016 supporters should know damn well by now that he let them all down by not running against Hillary as aggressively has he could and now ivan kragoff is just continuing the stupidity routine.

So somebody find out what he really said, knowing Nipzoid this post above is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Talked to a few Bernie supporters over the weekend;  for them it is all or nothing like it was in 2016:  I.e.  if the Dem party screws Bernie again and he isn't the nominee,  they are voting for anyone but the Dem candidate.

All I said to them was;  thanks for re-electing Trump!

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why do you assume a majority of voters think like you do????    I find that odd.    As we have discussed you are an over 70 white man from the south.   That no longer represents a majority demographic especially in the Dem party.   I have no idea how the majority of Dems will vote other than they typically follow identity politics (which of course helps Warren in one regard). 

Note that Warren is giving out prizes like it's Christmas;  E.g. forgiving student loans for up to 49 million Americans.   Isn't it logical to assume many of the 49 million are gullible enough to buy-into her nonsense and empty promises?

That younger left-leaning demographic was going to vote Dem no matter what. The independents and fiscal conservatives are just going to be turned off by such a proposal (even if it almost certainly would not get implemented).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

That younger left-leaning demographic was going to vote Dem no matter what. The independents and fiscal conservatives are just going to be turned off by such a proposal (even if it almost certainly would not get implemented).

I'm not so sure about that younger left-leaning demographic as it relates to them voting Dem no matter what:

Hey, I've only talked to a few but most of them were purist and with a take-no-prisoner type mentality.

E.g.  they will support a left-leaning Dem in the Dem primary but if their candidate doesn't win the primary and they view the Dem running as not much different than the GOP candidate (which is often the case), they will either NOT vote at all or vote for the candidate from another party.  

Every Sanders supporter I talked to had this mentality  (and they didn't vote for Clinton or Trump in 2016 since "their man" wasn't in the contest).    When I asked a direct question; so you would rather see Trump as President then any-Dem but Sanders,,,,  they just told me that I wasn't getting it.   

Note that their hero, A.O.C.,  is implying that is what they should do.

How many of these younger left-leaning Dems will be using anger as their driver instead of being pragmatic (voting for lesser evil to ensure the greater evil doesn't win)????     I have no idea but my gut tells me it might be too many.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Your post above this one answers mine re: Warren's positions turning off majority of voters.  I stated that those positions (from Warren or any Dem) will turn off majority of voters in NOVEMBER  in the general election.  The independents, conservative Dems, moderate GOPers, etc.  This is what happened in 2010 and to some degree in 2012 and 2014 except for Obama.

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

Your post above this one answers mine re: Warren's positions turning off majority of voters.  I stated that those positions (from Warren or any Dem) will turn off majority of voters in NOVEMBER  in the general election.  The independents, conservative Dems, moderate GOPers, etc.  This is what happened in 2010 and to some degree in 2012 and 2014 except for Obama.

Sorry,  didn't see the 'November';   Yea,  we have covered this ground before;   the messaging required to win the Dem primary is likely to lose in the General.

But remember that Medicare for All poll;  those so called crazy ideas Sanders put up in 2016 are now mainstream as it relates to the view of a majority of Dems.  

• Thanks 1

Former Vice President Joe Biden to announce he’s entering the 2020 race Thursday morning

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/vice-president-joe-biden-announce-hes-entering-2020/story?id=62558852

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-biden-enters-2020-democratic-presidential-race-11556186638

645a4de0-d54f-4bb4-a816-e4e57f849ff6-VPC

Since people already knows his past doubt it will have much impact unless something new comes up i.e. grabbing Jenny's pigtails in elementary school.  (old crap people likes to bring up after DECADES).

It in my opinion there's a 95% chance there will be a Trump / Biden November 2020 race.

9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Former Vice President Joe Biden to announce he’s entering the 2020 race Thursday morning

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/vice-president-joe-biden-announce-hes-entering-2020/story?id=62558852

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-biden-enters-2020-democratic-presidential-race-11556186638

645a4de0-d54f-4bb4-a816-e4e57f849ff6-VPC

Since people already knows his past doubt it will have much impact unless something new comes up i.e. grabbing Jenny's pigtails in elementary school.  (old crap people likes to bring up after DECADES).

It in my opinion there's a 95% chance there will be a Trump / Biden November 2020 race.

I read there was a 85% chance that either Trump or Biden will be dead by November 2020.

Biden may not survive the (BS) groping allegations. Biden is not a particularly strong candidate but probably the most likely to do well against Trump out of the current candidates.

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Biden may not survive the (BS) groping allegations. Biden is not a particularly strong candidate but probably the most likely to do well against Trump out of the current candidates.

Biden is a hothead. if he flips out enough times then he will do good.

:)

A dope like Donny who thinks he can repeal impeachment to the Supreme

Court, and hundreds of other idiocies, calling someone else stupid. Priceless.

Another column from Steve and Cokie Roberts predicting how Trump could easily win in 2020.  Basically, Sanders and Warren and their supporters will hurt the Dems. chances in 2010.  Sanders' supporters have proven how unreliable and politically naive they are.  They threw the election in 2016 by not voting for Clinton.  Also, Sanders is actually against the Dem. Party as he has shown on many occasions.

"Sanders says he is running to complete a “political revolution” he started in 2016, but at its core, this is not a revolutionary country. This is a moderate center-right country, and the only successful Democrats in the last half-century -- Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama -- ran on more pragmatic and less ideological platforms than the ones Sanders and Warren are advancing.

The lessons of history are clear. If Democrats really want to get rid of Trump, they should focus on the next election, not the last one. And they should nominate someone who can actually win -- a pragmatist, not a purist. Any Democrat who supports Sanders or Warren should remember McGovern and Mondale, and the two Republicans they lost to: Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan."

https://www.uexpress.com/cokie-and-steven-roberts/2019/4/24/the-lessons-of-history