TheCid

2020 Election

259 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Wasn't there already a "2020 Election" thread? Did it get zapped?

I thought there was another one too, but I just did a search and all I can find are individual posts on 2020, not a general thread on 2020. Maybe I just didn't see it.

7 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I thought there was another one too, but I just did a search and all I can find are individual posts on 2020, not a general thread on 2020. Maybe I just didn't see it.

I'm fairly certain there was one. Maybe it got zapped for some reason. :( 

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Wasn't there already a "2020 Election" thread? Did it get zapped?

There was one because I started it.  This AM I searched for it, but could not find it in the 2-3 pages of "2020 election" topics listed.  Nor could I find it by going back 3 pages of Off Topic threads.  So, I started it again.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

There was one because I started it.  This AM I searched for it, but could not find it in the 2-3 pages of "2020 election" topics listed.  Nor could I find it by going back 3 pages of Off Topic threads.  So, I started it again.

Yeah, I thought we were posting in it just a few days ago. There was a substantive back-and-forth between you and james, I believe. I wonder why it got zapped, as the tone wasn't going anywhere nasty the last time I saw it.

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I thought we were posting in it just a few days ago. There was a substantive back-and-forth between you and james, I believe. I wonder why it got zapped, as the tone wasn't going anywhere nasty the last time I saw it.

It got zapped and I was one of the last to post on the thread before that happened;  A few of us were teasing our resident 'I don't vote' poster,  but it was all in fun and I don't think that poster asked for the thread to be zapped.  But the thread was 'zapped' right after those post.

Anyhow,  I'm glad Cid re-created the thread.

• Thanks 3

:unsure:

Iowa poll: It's Biden vs. Bernie

The Des Moines Register/CNN/Mediacom survey asked Democrats likely to take part in Iowa’s 2020 caucuses who their top choice for president would be.

"..... The survey showed 27 percent supported Biden and 25 percent supported Sanders

— a percentage within the 4.9 percent margin of error. .....

The next closest was Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 9 percent, up slightly from 8 percent in December. California Sen. Kamala Harris was at 7 percent, up from 5 percent. While Warren and Harris saw a small uptick, former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke saw a drop to 5 percent, down from 11 percent in December. O’Rourke has not yet announced his 2020 plans. Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker each polled at 3 percent. ......

Of those surveyed, more than 90 percent supported a Green New Deal,

84 percent backed Medicare for all

and 81 percent were in favor of a candidate who would tax individuals with more than $50 million in wealth.

The poll also showed that Democrats overwhelmingly rejected a divisive candidate, with 83 percent backing a White House aspirant who “will focus on harnessing Democrats’ positive energy to unite the country” over the 13 percent who wanted someone who could tap into “anger to defeat President Trump.”.....

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/09/poll-iowa-biden-sanders-1214787

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Iowa poll: It's Biden vs. Bernie

The Des Moines Register/CNN/Mediacom survey asked Democrats likely to take part in Iowa’s 2020 caucuses who their top choice for president would be.

"..... The survey showed 27 percent supported Biden and 25 percent supported Sanders

— a percentage within the 4.9 percent margin of error. .....

The next closest was Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren at 9 percent, up slightly from 8 percent in December. California Sen. Kamala Harris was at 7 percent, up from 5 percent. While Warren and Harris saw a small uptick, former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke saw a drop to 5 percent, down from 11 percent in December. O’Rourke has not yet announced his 2020 plans. Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker each polled at 3 percent. ......

Of those surveyed, more than 90 percent supported a Green New Deal,

84 percent backed Medicare for all

and 81 percent were in favor of a candidate who would tax individuals with more than $50 million in wealth.

The poll also showed that Democrats overwhelmingly rejected a divisive candidate, with 83 percent backing a White House aspirant who “will focus on harnessing Democrats’ positive energy to unite the country” over the 13 percent who wanted someone who could tap into “anger to defeat President Trump.”.....

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/09/poll-iowa-biden-sanders-1214787

I will have to defer to those with more knowledge on Iowa caucuses, but I question their real value in selecting nominees.  Apparently, they actually have very few people involved compared to the number of voters in the state.  Then there is a caucus to select people for a caucus or something else?  So the first caucus is not really as important as the second, but the first is the one the media covers.

Like the S.C. presidential primaries and the NH primaries, there is too much emphasis on small number of participants.  

As for the above poll, two old white men combating to face another old white man.

I didn't ask for it to be zapped. I was going to reply to James' post the next day,

but when I went to look for it, it was gone. I figured the censors were miffed,

though I can't see why, it was all pretty harmless. Now, don't forget to register

to vote in time for the 2020 elections. I know I won't. :)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Pete Buttigieg makes star turn in town hall spotlight

.........His performance earned him rave reviews from Democrats.

"Without a doubt, we need to hear more from @PeteButtigieg on a national stage," tweeted Jess O'Connell, a former Democratic National Committee CEO and former executive director of EMILY's List.
"I have rarely seen a candidate make better use of televised Town Hall than @PeteButtigieg is on @CNN tonight. Crisp, thoughtful and relatable. He'll be a little less of a long shot tomorrow," tweeted David Axelrod, a former adviser to President Barack Obama and a senior political commentator at CNN.

Amanda Litman, a former Clinton aide who co-founded the group Run for Something -- which helps first-time candidates -- tweeted: "I'm still not sure if Pete Buttegieg (sic) should be president yet but nearly every answer he gives (and his entire book!) is an argument for why young people can & should run for local office. He makes it sound fun, meaningful, and totally doable."..........

Article from The Atlantic about how the popular perception of liberals being weak on immigration helped power the right wing and how Democrats can change that perception. Includes quotes from Hillary Clinton and Obama on immigration.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/04/david-frum-how-much-immigration-is-too-much/583252/

• Thanks 1

Cid asked if the EC could be improved;  Here are a few crazy ideas I came up with on my hike today:   Each of these 'tie-breakers' only apply when there is a candidate that gets 270 or more EC votes but doesn't get a majority of the popular vote:

1) Candidate that received the most popular votes is the President when their popular vote win margin is 3% or more.   Of course the 3% is subject to debate but the overall point is there should be some type of margin to 'overturn' the EC winner.    

2)  Candidate that received the most popular votes has to also has to 'win' in at least 18 states.    Of course the 18 states is subject to debate but the overall reason for this criteria is to prevent a candidate from becoming President, while losing the EC,  only because they won large popular vote margins in only the larger states.  

Hey,  none of these will ever be implemented and they have flaws.   Just throwing out some ideas,  especially to those folks that have a strong dislike of the existing EC process.

• Thanks 1

Mayor of South Bend, Indiana, Pete Buttigieg, joins Morning Joe for a wide-ranging discussion on everything from the role faith plays in his life and if he's a capitalist to removing money from politics and how being a mayor is good preparation for the White House.

(video) https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/buttigieg-the-kind-of-person-to-take-wh-next-is-what-s-important-1461532739696

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Mayor of South Bend, Indiana, Pete Buttigieg, joins Morning Joe for a wide-ranging discussion on everything from the role faith plays in his life and if he's a capitalist to removing money from politics and how being a mayor is good preparation for the White House.

(video) https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/buttigieg-the-kind-of-person-to-take-wh-next-is-what-s-important-1461532739696

I occasionally surf through Moanin' Joe, but seldom watch much of it. His "wide-ranging discussions" tend to be him pontificating, blustering and totally dominating the conversations.  His wife (Mika) can't even hardly get a word in edgewise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I occasionally surf through Moanin' Joe, but seldom watch much of it. His "wide-ranging discussions" tend to be him pontificating, blustering and totally dominating the conversations.  His wife (Mika) can't even hardly get a word in edgewise.

I catch it from time to time too. It can pretty much be called the "whine about Trump" show because they rarely cover anything else. 

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

I catch it from time to time too. It can pretty much be called the "whine about Trump" show because they rarely cover anything else. 

That sort of sums up most cable "news" shows now, except Fox which defends Trump.  HLN is still the best for a broad range of news, but they only doing morning shows and then one at about 6 PM I think.

One thing that irritates me is the HUGE amount of time MSNBC and CNN spend on the Mueller investigation.  Why not just wait until the damn thing comes out and quit speculating endlessly about what it might, maybe, should, could show.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheCid said:

Agree.... only posted link to air Buttigieg as a candidate, for anyone interested :)

what kinda schtootz thinks it's relevent for people to know that he once took his own mother to an x-rated movie?

:o

he then asks a stupid irrelevant question why the news media doan ask female presidential candidates about male VP picks.

he wants the feminist vote?

:huh:

Pete Buttigieg is the hottest candidate in the 2020 race right now

"........He's young, charismatic and personable. He knows how to talk like a regular person -- an underrated trait in a field filled with front-running senators. And he has a remarkable resume: Rhodes scholar, military veteran, gay mayor of his hometown.

Then there's this: Buttigieg has ZERO expectations about how he will do in this race. When he started running, virtually no one outside of South Bend had even heard of him. When your candidacy isn't weighed down by heavy expectations, you can play fast and loose. You don't obsess over every little thing you say or do. Your every word isn't parsed by the national news media. You can make a mistake (or two) without it being painted as a death blow for your candidacy...........

Buttigieg is unquestionably having a moment right now. That's something that many people in this field will never have. Or if they do have a moment, it's for the wrong reasons. (Looking at you, John Hickenlooper.) Winning presidential campaigns are those that create -- or benefit from -- positive moments and turn them into something more, a sustainable bid for the highest office in the country.
It's not at all clear whether Buttigieg and his team can make that leap. But it is clear that he has a chance, right now, to do so.......

• Haha 1

I think Hickenlooper is going for the raincoat and floor cleaning products vote.

Yes, there're not many of them out there, but in a close election it could make

all the difference.