Sign in to follow this  
darrylfxanax

R.I.P. Hal Blaine

5 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has been noted, but just read that prolific session musician Hal Blaine has passed away at 90.  Hal played drums on so many of the hit records I enjoyed as a youngster, and still listen to today.  Hal and other members of “The Wrecking Crew” were the studio musicians responsible for making the “name” artists sound good.  They were the subjects of a superb documentary, “The Wrecking Crew” (2008), that I would highly recommend.  Thanks for all the great music, Hal!

• Thanks 3

Hal Blaine was such a fixture on the Phil Spector recordings that Brian Wilson brought him over completely to work with the Beach Boys. Hal's rhythm gave "California Girls" that unique sound.

But Hal was more than a percussionist for Brian Wilson--an adviser, and an older sounding board for the very young record producer during those long recording sessions when Brian was creating

" Pet Sounds ".

We may never know how many great rock and roll recordings that Hal Blaine enhanced because of his artistry. However, his place in American pop music history is assured every time someone listens to the Righteous Brothers recording of "You Lost That Loving Feeling".

• Like 2