Sign in to follow this  
SummerStars

Rare Movies/TV Appearances

9 posts in this topic

Since the topic had recently come up about TCM showing RARE TV movies and/or appearances of classic movie stars, I had been wondering if anyone has videos of these.  I hope this isn't asking too much, but there had been certain movies and TV shows that I had just recently found out about in books, and I'm just curious about them.  I recently graduated from college with a degree in TV/Film, and I'm interested in seeing a variety of rare TV shows and movies.  There are certain movies and shows that I had been wondering about for sometime, and I CAN'T find them ANYWHERE in movie catalogs (Movies Unlimited, Critic's Choice, or even TCM Shop), so I'm asking if anyone has the videos of any of these movies or shows.

WON TON TON: THE DOG WHO SAVED HOLLYWOOD (1976)

I had first read about this movie in some movie catalog, that I just can't seem to find at the moment.  At first I thought it seemed boring since it's dated from a contemporary era, 1976, and I don't often care for movies from around that time, except for "Rocky", for instance.  What really caught my attention was when I saw that this movie contains appearances by many stars of "golden-age" Hollywood, and that's why I suggested this for the "All-Star Movies" spotlight last night.  I highly doubt, though, that this movie had ever aired on TCM.

Look in Any Window

Now I personally like Paul Anka, and I never ever thought he had appeared in a movie.  I have no idea what this movie's about, but I would just be curious to see one of my favorite singers in a movie.  Perhaps if TCM ever considers doing a spotlight on "Musicians/Famous Singers on Film", maybe this one could end up being shown.  I also doubt that TCM had ever played this one, as well.

The Women (1955)

Now I know what you're thinking.  You probably figure I'm referring to "The Opposite Sex", which is a musical remake of the 1939 film, "The Women".  This is actually a made-for-TV version of the 1939 film, originating from some TV series called Producers' Showcase.  I don't know if this was ever released on home video, but I sure would like to see it, and I suppose many others would, as well, after I mention this one interesting bit of detail.  Since I first saw "The Women", I always thought that Paulette Goddard deserved a bigger role.  Well, it just so happens that in this rare TV version of the movie, Paulette actually plays one of the leads!  She plays the same character that Rosalind Russell did in the original 1939 movie!

CYD CHARISSE'S TV APPEARANCES (1960s)

I REALLY like Cyd Charisse, and I really enjoy seeing her movies.  However, I believe that during the 1960s, she made frequent TV appearances, since she wasn't appearing in that many movies during this decade, especially since movie musicals were sadly becoming increasingly unpopular.  One of them I know is an appearance on a TV series called "Checkmate", which I would like to see.  I also believe she starred in some movie from the late 1960s (perhaps 1967 or 68), but I don't know off hand.  Would anyone happen to know?  I guess during this time she just wanted to try giving only acting a chance.

Cauliflower Cupids (1970)

This MUST be one of the last movies that Jane Russell had ever made, mostly based on the fact that she started to slowly retire from movies during the 1960s to focus on her life and her Christian faith.  I haven't any idea about this movie, but I think to see Jane Russell, who is better known for her films from the 1940s and 1950s, in a "counter-culture era" movie would be interesting, especially to see her in a movie that isn't a Western, or a noir,  and one where she most-likely isn't portrayed as a sex-symbol.

Also, I've wondered, has Clark Gable EVER made any TV appearances?  I kind of get the feeling that he was one of those "old-time" movie stars that had only preferred appearing on the big screen and avoided television as much as possible, just to save his reputation from becoming too involved with this new medium at the time.  There were many stars who felt this way about TV during the late 40s and well into the 50s, believing that TV had a bigger impact on people than movies.  I just think it would be interesting if Clark Gable had ever made a rare appearance on TV during the 1950s, either being interviewed on a talk show or else making an appearance on a game show like "What's My Line?" or something.

"Look In Any Window" has been shown on TCM twice: in June 2012 and in Dec. 2014. It'll probably be on again.

Some of your other questions (Cyd Charisse, Clark Gable TV appearances, etc.) can be answered by checking IMDb. It's not perfect, but it's a good start. And sometimes you can find out if something has been released on video or DVD by checking IMDb under "Company Credits" for a title, such as the TV version of "The Women".

For Won Ton Ton, the Dog Who Saved Hollywood (1976):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019UGYCS?ref_=imdbref_tt_wbr_amazon&tag=imdbtag_tt_wbr_amazon-20

It has not aired on TCM.

This will have information on Look in Any Window (1961):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055097/?ref_=nv_sr_1

TCM very rarely airs TV shows.  You can find out about Cyd Charisse here:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001998/?ref_=nv_sr_1

You can find out about Clark Gable here:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000022/

3 hours ago, musicalnovelty said:

"Look In Any Window" has been shown on TCM twice: in June 2012 and in Dec. 2014. It'll probably be on again.

Yes. In the past they aired this movie for a birthday tribute honoring Ruth Roman.

14 hours ago, SummerStars said:

Also, I've wondered, has Clark Gable EVER made any TV appearances?  I kind of get the feeling that he was one of those "old-time" movie stars that had only preferred appearing on the big screen and avoided television as much as possible, just to save his reputation from becoming too involved with this new medium at the time.  There were many stars who felt this way about TV during the late 40s and well into the 50s, believing that TV had a bigger impact on people than movies.  I just think it would be interesting if Clark Gable had ever made a rare appearance on TV during the 1950s, either being interviewed on a talk show or else making an appearance on a game show like "What's My Line?" or something.

Gable was a presenter at the 30th Academy Awards presentation, taking place in 1958. He co-presented the writing awards with Doris Day that year. He had also appeared in the audience at the 28th Oscars ceremony taking place in 1956. I had thought he might have been one of the stars who took a bow from the audience on "The Ed Sullivan Show" but I guess not. But I believe he may have been a guest on "The Joe Franklin Show," although I don't know if WOR saved those broadcasts.

Thanks guys!  I appreciate your help!  I was just asking about these rare shows and movies figuring that somebody may possibly have them, because I was just curious to see them.  I think that's quite interesting that Ruth Roman was in "Look in Any Window", since I had just seen her a little over a month ago in another movie titled "The Window".  The two similar movie titles seem like they can cause some confusion to some, especially since Ruth Roman appearing in both movies gives them something in common.  I guess that if she's featured for Summer Under the Stars this year (and it's about time she should be), there's a good chance that movie might be shown.  Same as if Jane Russell would be featured for that, or else Star of the Month, and TCM could possibly show Cauliflower Cupids.  Usually if someone is featured for either SUTS or SOTM, the last movie(s) they would show would most likely be a "modern" and very much forgotten movie from a contemporary era.  For instance, a few years ago, the forgotten cult film, "The Phinx", was the final movie shown for the day saluting Ruby Keeler for SUTS.  I just think it was really strange to show this movie for Ruby Keeler day during SUTS, mostly since she seems to be singled out among the many stars making cameo appearances.  I guess TCM just gained the rights to present this movie around that time, and just figured the best time to air it would be on the SUTS day honoring Ruby Keeler, although they could have played it that past July for the "America in the 1970s" spotlight.  I'm still wondering about that TV show version of "The Women" starring Paulette Goddard.  It would be interesting if TCM could at some time show rare TV appearances by different "golden-age" movie stars.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe some years ago, TCM did obtain the rights to show some rare TV show appearances of James Dean for one night.  Also, about Clark Gable making TV appearances,  I just always thought it'd be really neat to see him being interviewed on a TV talk show.  If anything, it would've most likely had been on "The Tonight Show", back when it was first hosted by Steve Allen. 

I also forgot to ask before, does anyone know if the following film had been released on home video at all?  It's a preview film for MGM hosted by Lewis Stone from about 1940.  It shows small portions of trailers from movies that had already been released in 1939, as well as those to debut the following year.  TCM has shown this from time to time, usually around 5:30 am, but I just haven't seen it in a long time.  There had been other films like this shown late at night on TCM.  Another one is for MGM's 25th anniversary, and is hosted by Lionel Barrymore.  It presents the most significant movie for each year, and it ends with the classic footage of the MGM stars having lunch.

TCM does, indeed, show the occasional TV show.  Notable instances include shows by Frank Sinatra during his turn at STOM, Danny Kaye from a tribute night for him, and of selections of interviews of stars by Johnny Carson from The Tonight Show.

Not to mention selections from the Disney vault.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:45 AM, SummerStars said:

Cauliflower Cupids (1970)

This MUST be one of the last movies that Jane Russell had ever made, mostly based on the fact that she started to slowly retire from movies during the 1960s to focus on her life and her Christian faith.  I haven't any idea about this movie, but I think to see Jane Russell, who is better known for her films from the 1940s and 1950s, in a "counter-culture era" movie would be interesting, especially to see her in a movie that isn't a Western, or a noir,  and one where she most-likely isn't portrayed as a sex-symbol.

The trailer was posted on YouTube six years ago, with a claim at the end that it would soon be released on DVD. Either that didn't happen or it went out of circulation almost immediately. But at least it's a taste of how Jane appeared in the movie, which overall seems to be very low-budget, even more so than Lana Turner's late-career "counterculture" epic, The Big Cube, which TCM has shown at least twice.