Sign in to follow this  
JeanneCrain

A don’t miss PBS episode currently airing…

13 posts in this topic

PBS is currently airing an episode entitled, “A Conversation with Ken Burns”…check your local listings, set your recorder and enjoy ~55 minutes of Ken Burns.

You'll be glad you saw this. 💋

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Eh really?

Will it have whiney violin incidental music and white Helvetica on a black field chapter titles? 

While I really enjoyed EMPIRE OF THE AIR and a few of Burns' more succinct documentaries, I found his mini series rambling and self indulgent. I'm still amazed anyone could take historical, exciting subjects like jazz and prohibition and lose the viewers interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Eh. Can beggars be choosers? How many reliable documentary filmmakers do we have to choose from these days? I mean, apart from the unaccountable and paltry BS of the History Channel?) I'll take Ken Burns carte blanche.

'Johnstown Flood' is still better than any movie made in any year of the last fifteen ...maybe even more. Fatuous, crapola Oscar nominees and supposed 'Oscar winners' notwithstanding. Any single year. Crock of friggin' codswallop I wouldn't wipe my shoe with. Garbage! Yeah you HEARD ME!

Maybe you glimpse a hint of my amazement here, that anyone on this 'classics' website would so slaveringly follow the utterly hollow Oscar race (apparently) every year, on this website? What is this a fan site, for Dynasty and Dallas re-runs? Classic films, you say? sheeesh....

I loved The Roosevelts: An Intimate History. One of the great documentary series. I wish he would give up sports, though.

“A Conversation with Ken Burns” is a sit down insightful “in your head” type interview in which Ken explains many aspects including philosophies employed into making his documentaries as well as revealing those slated to be released in the future.

A topic of discussion example may include the ecological refugees of the dust bowl, their migration and the potential for such ecological events/changes creating similar migrations in the future for Americans…in short, what can be learned from history i.e. such historical events that may alter the future of America, specifically it’s behavior?

Another topic of discussion may include the Bill of Rights, the thirteenth amendment, racial aspects that have and continue to shape America.

Yet another topic may be how one attempts to capture an audience’s attention and hold it for many hours to disseminate a lengthy story, documentary.

Whether you like Ken, his work or not this is an educational lesson not to be missed…sadly it appears no one here has seen it yet, but if you have…what would you like to discuss about it?

💋

11 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Johnstown Flood' is still better than any movie made in any year of the last fifteen ...maybe even more. Fatuous, crapola Oscar nominees and supposed 'Oscar winners' notwithstanding. Any single year. Crock of friggin' codswallop I wouldn't wipe my shoe with. Garbage! Yeah you HEARD ME!

So 2004 is the year you think the movie business hit rock bottom?

I know 2 documentaries from 2002 that are great:

Spellbound - it follows several children competing in the National Spelling Bee, it is interesting, funny and even a bit suspenseful.

To Be And To Have- a French doc about a dedicated teacher who has to instruct various ages of kids in the same school room. Very touching and interesting.

And try not to type anything while you're drunk. 

PBS is currently doing a pledge drive. A long multi-week one. So they are showing what their viewers crave....infomercials??? "What the heck do I eat", "Suze Orman Financial Solutions For You", "Retire Safe and Secure (and hope you don't get cancer if you live in the USA)", "Three Steps To Incredible Health", and on it goes. Exactly what makes me change the channel. So thanks for telling me about something I would actually want to watch during these pledge drives.

3 hours ago, calvinnme said:

PBS is currently doing a pledge drive. A long multi-week one. So they are showing what their viewers crave....infomercials??? "What the heck do I eat", "Suze Orman Financial Solutions For You", "Retire Safe and Secure (and hope you don't get cancer if you live in the USA)", "Three Steps To Incredible Health", and on it goes. Exactly what makes me change the channel. So thanks for telling me about something I would actually want to watch during these pledge drives.

I've noticed that -- I don't get it at all. And it sometimes means the cooking shows I like aren't shown during pledge weeks. (I like real cooking shows, which you can sometimes find on PBS, not the game-type shows that are on the Food Network).

2 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Sorry for the substitution — I could not find the interview that JeanneC is describing (I think by Don Shelby) in my TV listings or on the web, but if you want to escape your pledge drive for a few minutes here is a shorter (26 min.) interview with KB from 2016 that came up while searching for same:

https://www.pbs.org/video/conversations-1512-ken-burns/

According to DirecTV "A Conversation with Ken Burns" will be aired again...tomorrow SUNDAY 3/17/2019 from 16:30 to 18:00 hours PDT...SET YOUR RECORDER !

💋

5 minutes ago, JeanneCrain said:

According to DirecTV "A Conversation with Ken Burns" will be aired again...tomorrow SUNDAY 3/17/2019 from 16:30 to 18:00 hours PDT...SET YOUR RECORDER !

💋

I think the local PBS stations are free to schedule their own programming during pledge drives, so unfortunately for me I get to watch "John Denver: Country Boy" and "Rocktopia Live in Budapest" during those times. 🙁

Hope others have better luck.

It could be a warmup for Burns' next project -- the history of country music.

5 hours ago, Swithin said:

I've noticed that -- I don't get it at all. And it sometimes means the cooking shows I like aren't shown during pledge weeks. (I like real cooking shows, which you can sometimes find on PBS, not the game-type shows that are on the Food Network).

Last year Frontline had a great two part series - so I hear - entitled "Our Man in Tehran". It was about a Dutch journalist living in Iran, married to an Iranian. I saw the first episode and anxiously awaited the second. And then a pledge drive began. If I wanted to buy a bunch of CDs of John Denver music or learn how to buy mutual funds I would be all set. All I wanted was to see part 2 of "Our Man in Tehran". After the pledge drive ended I never saw it aired again. :(

• Thanks 1