Sign in to follow this  
Dommy

Starring Madeline Kahn

26 posts in this topic

I am so happy that TCM is finally saluting the legendary Madeline Kahn.  Young Frankenstein, Simon and What's Up, Doc? are the films being showcased.  I wish they could have shown Paper Moon and Blazing Saddles too.  But its a great tribute to that star of classic film comedies.  Hopefully one day they can have her for Summer Under The Stars.  Thanks TCM.

• Like 7

She starred with Alan Arkin in 'Simon'? I didn't know that. I like that film a lot.

Wish we had MORE performances for posterity....Kahn was one-of-a-kind talent we'll never see the likes of again. I'm happy TCM premiered SIMON this time around.

• Like 2

Great artist. Loved her in High Anxiety and History of the World Part I. 

hoehenkoller-high-anxiety-madeline-kahn-

High Anxiety

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of What's Up, Doc?; the endlessly switching suitcases are just too tiresome. Plus TCM has shown it at least a couple of times recently. I'd much rather see Paper Moon, with Madeline as the appropriately named Trixie Delight. She a total hoot ("This little mama's got to winky tink."), but she pulls off a really touching scene where she tells Tatum O'Neal not to worry and just be patient; she won't be around long because she can never seem to hold onto a man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

High Anxiety and Blazing Saddles feature my two favorite performances of Kahn's.  The Marlene Dietrich impersonation always breaks me up.  Such a gifted and funny lady.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DougieB said:

I'm not a huge fan of What's Up, Doc?; the endlessly switching suitcases are just too tiresome. Plus TCM has shown it at least a couple of times recently. I'd much rather see Paper Moon, with Madeline as the appropriately named Trixie Delight. She a total hoot ("This little mama's got to winky tink."), but she pulls off a really touching scene where she tells Tatum O'Neal not to worry and just be patient; she won't be around long because she can never seem to hold onto a man.

Warner Bros. does not own the rights to Paper Moon. They belong to Paramount. Expect the new "business daddy" (a phrase coined by John Oliver) , AKA AT&T, AKA "The Death Star" to not want to shell out money to other studios  when they can just rotate their own content to death. Simon belongs to Warner Bros. What's Up Doc belongs to Warner Bros. That is probably why they were on last night.  Evil AT&T.

• Sad 2

Young Frankenstein is a 20th Century Fox film.  TCM has shown Paper Moon before.  I wish they would show Clue.  Glad so many others out there love Madeline Kahn too.

Madeline Kahn is absolutely hilarious as Mrs. White in Clue!!! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dommy said:

Young Frankenstein is a 20th Century Fox film.  TCM has shown Paper Moon before.  I wish they would show Clue.  Glad so many others out there love Madeline Kahn too.

While TCM has always focused on the films that were part of the old, so called,  Ted Turner library of films which were mainly from Warner Bros.,  MGM and RKO.    But as you note TCM also shows films from other studios;  just not as many.

As for AT&T already having an impact on TCM's programming and what they would lease;   way to early to say that is happening.    

• Like 1

I think one day all these streaming services coming in droves, that all films will be available and I hope all the very old ones that are supposedly lost.  The one Madeline Kahn movie I am surprised that TCM has not yet show is the comedy Won Ton Ton, The Dog Who Saved Hollywood.  It wasn't a great film but she gave a delightful performance and also all those cameos from stars from the early days of Hollywood.  Happy Birthday,  Gemini is another film that havs never been on any cable or streaming services.  It was on VFS years ago but no DVD or Blu-Ray versions either.  I went to TCM's streaming site and was delighted to see on their collections list they have a section for Starring Madeline Kahn.  Thanks again TCM for saluting her.  This I believe was the second time I remember last year she was part of the Funny Ladies month.  She may not be part of this years Summer Under The Stars , but I am sure maybe next year or soon enough.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I like Eunice. she got a raw deal in that movie.

Eeh! No she didn't. She was MUCH better off pairin' up with that little dweeb Larrabee at the end of that flick.

(...yep, those two stick-in-the-muds were MADE for each other)

The facts that she was so great( LOVED her!) and left us all too soon STILL makes my eyes water every time I see her in a movie.  :(

Sepiatone

• Like 1

My favorite memory of her was seeing her in a revival of "Born Yesterday" on Broadway in 1989. She played opposite Ed Asner and it was great. Although I think the 1950 movie version is OK, I felt it worked much better on stage. 

Det Jim McLeod, I saw Madeline Kahn in Born Yesterday twice and she was great.  I also saw her in On The Twentieth Century and The Sisters Rosenweig.  When they remade Born Yesterday, they failed to use her, I guess because she considered too old for the rle and she was when she did it in stage but on Broadway age doesn't matter.  I only wish they would have made a film version of Sisters Rosenweig with her before she left us.  I love to see her TV Series Oh Madeline! get streamed on Amazon Prime.  Judy Berlin was her final film and she was amazing in that and she had lived she may have gotten an Oscar nomination and maybe would have won.  If any of you haven't read her Biography Madeline Kahn: Being The Music written by William V. Madison .  He really did an amazing job and delivers such a poignant biography.  I had the pleasure of meeting him and he even put my name in the acknowledgments in the book.  He invited to one of the book signings with a panel discussions with her costars from stage, film and television.  I love to see a film on her one day.  A must read.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Image result for madeline kahn eunice

I love this picture although never saw the movie.

To be honest....when I was younger and everyone raved on about Madeline Kahn..how great she was, I didn't see it. Then all of a sudden when I was in my thirties I saw her in something, maybe PAPER MOON and all of a sudden I saw "it". Once I became a Madeline Kahn fan, I sought out more of her work. She is always the highlight of every movie she's in, sometimes the only screen time worth watching.

Some people just emote and we as fellow humans "read" them, we connect. 

And do any of you miss wearing gloves? Or am I the old lady of this board too?

• Like 3

I was looking at something that was archived the other day. The IMDb messageboards closed down in 2017, but they had an archive feature where you could look through old posts, and I happened to look at Madeline Kahn's messageboards. There was something there that was unique for the internet; there were no nasty posts; everyone who posted truly loved her.

She was a true original, incredibly funny, extremely endearing. There was a good biography published about her a few years ago, well worth checking out.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

There was a good biography published about her a few years ago, well worth checking out.

MC.GIF&client=onondagacplb&upc=&oclc=893

Is it THIS one? Your post prompted me to do a library search-this came up so I requested it. The Preston Sturges one I just started isn't very engaging, might as well give Madeline a try.

Actually, of all the things my wife and I found over the years that we had in common, our mutual love and admiration for Madeline was one of the earliest we discovered.  My wife was CRAZY about her.  And that fact will KEEP me being a fan of MS. Kahn for life!  :P  B)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

MC.GIF&client=onondagacplb&upc=&oclc=893

Is it THIS one? Your post prompted me to do a library search-this came up so I requested it. The Preston Sturges one I just started isn't very engaging, might as well give Madeline a try.

Yes, that's the one. Good read, very poignant too.

Love all the wonderful comments.  So glad that Madeline Kahn is so fondly remembered.