Sign in to follow this  
CoriSCapnSkip

Actress, 1920s-1940s, Saw Male Friend Die on Train

1 post in this topic

Years ago I read about a beautiful actress with a varied, interesting, and tragic love life.  I am thinking 1930s but could go a decade or so either way.  One of her closest loves was a handsome actor one of whose main stunts was climbing aboard a moving train, which he did in several films.  (The article named the films and of course I don't remember the titles.  I think not a stunt man, but back when actors often did their own stunts.)  The actress was, I think, on board a train, leaving, and this gentleman tried to climb either onto this train, or onto another moving train, to wave good-bye to her, slipped, was horribly mangled, and died.  She saw the whole thing.  I have looked up the names of several actresses famous during this era and it either wasn't them or at least does not appear in brief internet items about them.  Those whose entries I searched were Gloria Swanson, Marlene Dietrich, Sarah Bernhardt, Ethel Barrymore, and Merle Oberon.  What's more I don't know whether the actors and their films were from America or Europe, just that I think they were blond white people well-known in their day.  Can anyone help?  Thanks!