jakeem

Actor Richard Erdman 1925-2019)

40 posts in this topic

Richard Erdman, who had a long career as a character actor in numerous stage, screen and television productions, died Saturday at the age of 93. 

He began appearing in movies in 1944 after Warner Bros. signed him to a contract. Most recently, he made occasional appearances as older student Leonard Rodriguez on the sitcom "Community" -- which aired on NBC and Yahoo! Screen from 2009 to 2015. 

Image result for richard erdman images

One of his memorable screen appearances was in "The Men," Fred Zinnemann's 1950 drama about war-wounded veterans that featured Marlon Brando in his film debut. Erdman was always proud of Bosley Crowther's review of the film in The New York Times. It said: "Mr. Brando is impressive, however, he has a few things to learn from a Hollywood actor named Richard Erdman."

Image result for richard erdman images

Erdman (pictured third from the right) played one of the American POWs in the 1953 World War II drama "Stalag 17," which was co-written and directed by Billy Wilder. For his performance in the film, William Holden won the Academy Award as Best Actor.

Image result for richard erdman community

During the 1960-61 television season, he played Tab Hunter's best friend on the short-lived NBC sitcom "The Tab Hunter Show." The series featured Hunter as a comic strip artist.

One of his best-remembered television appearances was in "A Kind of a Stopwatch," a Season 5 episode of the CBS anthology series "The Twilight Zone." Erdman played Patrick McNulty, a ne'er-do-well who is given a stopwatch that can pause time. The teleplay was adapted by series host and creator Rod Serling from an unpublished story by Michael D. Rosenthal. The episode originally aired on October 18, 1963.

In "Community," Erdman's character Leonard was a frequent target for members of the show's central study group (including the Greendale Community College students played by Joel McHale, Yvette Nicole Brown and Gillian Jacobs). 

yvette nicole brown Retweeted Hollywood Reporter

I knew the day we’d have to say goodbye to this lovely man would come sooner than any of us were ready. But knowing that doesn’t make it any easier. 😢#RichardErdman was JOY walking. Anyone who saw him on @CommunityTV gleeflully stealing every scene he was in knows that’s true💔

Such a good & funny man. We’ll miss you “Leonard”

M9C7yPMK_bigger.jpgKen JeongVerified account@kenjeong Retweeted Hollywood Reporter

Rest In Peace, Richard. Thank you for blessing us with your brilliance. @CommunityTV #Leonard

#RIP the wonderful Dick Erdman. Loved him opposite Dick Powell in 'Cry Danger'; others know him as Leonard, one of the Hipster students — so nicknamed because they've had their hips replaced — on 'Community.' http://bit.ly/2Od2Wbu  #danharmon

• Thanks 7

Thanks for the selection of some highlights from Richard Erdman's career, Jakeem.

The first Erdman performance that always comes to my mind is from CRY DANGER (1951), stealing every scene he was in with his casual delivery of some of the film's sharpest one liners.

CryDanger1-900x450.jpg

• Like 5

I think most of us('round the "boomer" age group) knew him best from that Twilight Zone "Stopwatch" episode.  and BTW---

Everything I could find on him has him dying YESTERDAY, which makes it THIS YEAR( 2019;)

And Rest In Peace, sir.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Damn!!!!! Damn!!!!!  Damn!!!!!  I always wanted to meet him and now I've blown it!!!!!  UGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! :(  I bet he was working at the time.  WHAT A CAREER!!!!!!  I mean I could go into the acting, the directing, the writing, the producing - seriously, the guy worked!  Because my time is a bit short I'm going to focus on how insanely wonderful he was on COMMUNITY.  The only flaw was that he wasn't used enough.  I mean the character was great, but what always added to Leonard Rodriguez was that I kept realizing, "That is Richard Erdman!  Dan Harmon got Richard Erdman as a regular on his show.  THAT IS AWESOME!"  Then it always depressed me because I realized how many people watching didn't know they were seeing the guy they were seeing.  Such a storied career and many folks will see this news and only think of him as the old guy from COMMUNITY.  That might be okay.  I thought it was a wonderful character and I know thousands of actors would love to be remembered for even one role they played.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Everything I could find on him has him dying YESTERDAY, which makes it THIS YEAR( 2019;)

I've got my own stopwatch that freezes time. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

He’s one of those people who seemed to be in everything when I was a kid. Sorry to hear about his passing.

• Like 2

Erdman was great in many films like The San Francisco Story, Stalag 17, The Blue Gardenia and even in a musical Anything Goes.    He had an easy charm.    

Image result for richard erdman

• Like 1

Richard Erdman was, I believe, the last surviving cast member of OBJECTIVE BURMA!, one of the best WW2 dramas turned out by any of the studios. His character's nickname in the film was "Nebraska," and he brought a believable everyman quality to his role as a paratrooper.

shot2_large.jpg?w=788

• Like 2

Loved this guy.  He was a great addition to any film he was in, despite the size of the part!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

Loved this guy.  He was a great addition to any film he was in, despite the size of the part!

My sentiments exactly.  Loved his voice too!

• Like 1

Speaking of comic strip artist, Richard played one in an episode of "Mayberry RFD", episode title "The New Couple in Town". He certainly had a nice long career, and a nice long life to match. Very enjoyable actor.

RIP

15 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

My sentiments exactly.  Loved his voice too!

Absolutely.  He had a marvelous, distinctive voice.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:42 AM, TomJH said:

Thanks for the selection of some highlights from Richard Erdman's career, Jakeem.

The first Erdman performance that always comes to my mind is from CRY DANGER (1951), stealing every scene he was in with his casual delivery of some of the film's sharpest one liners.

Here's a piece from Slate.com about Erdman's performance in "Cry Danger."

Dick Powell was the first of a long line of actors whose scenes Erdman stole from right under their noses.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/03/richard-erdman-dies-community-cry-danger-stalag-17-twilight-zone.html?via=rss_socialflow_twitter

vdGuIwbi?format=jpg&name=600x314

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2019 at 1:22 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Erdman was great in many films like The San Francisco Story, Stalag 17, The Blue Gardenia and even in a musical Anything Goes.    He had an easy charm.    

:D

REALLY???

You KNEW that was Erdman when you watched STALAG 17?  

I can at best claim that I no doubt saw him in many a movie and TV show over the years, and even now in some old TV show reruns recognize his face, but like with NEVILLE BRAND some years back had, for some reason, trouble remembering the NAME!  ;)  And in the case of movies, I probably didn't even notice it WAS the "stopwatch guy"!   And not meaning to digress, I've got to get something off the chest...

I notice that in any form of "social media" especially since the advent of FaceBook, there's a tendency to treat ALL recently deceased celebrities as if they were the BEST THING since sliced bread!  All of a sudden some of the more obscure "celebrities" (like the aforementioned Erdman) are praised as "great" in some cases "legendary"  and somebody ALWAYS has a "favorite" of theirs and come off(or try to) as that person's "biggest fan".  

It's even worse when it comes to musicians.  For example...

In a music forum I'm a member of, and have been since year 2000, there was very little, if any, discussion of PRINCE and/or any of his music.  But, when he died, all of a sudden the forum was FILLED with commentary of how "great" and what a musical genius he was and all that crap. I'm not saying I think he wasn't any good, he was pretty talented.  But NOT the MOST talented singer/musician to ever hit the industry, like he suddenly was praised as being when he died.  And too, after a notable musician dies, they're suddenly referred to by ALL THREE(or more if they have 'em) names.  Like for YEARS he was always simply referred to as PRINCE, but once dead, he's now always referred to as PRINCE ROGERS NELSON!  Yep, I know it's his full name, but more people, when he was alive and performing, only knew him as PRINCE except by his more rabid fans.  and too( and more recently) the man is no longer known simply as JIMI HENDRIX, people now feel the need to refer to him as JAMES MARSHALL HENDRIX.  Or too, refer to JOHNNY WINTER as JOHN DAWSON WINTER.  And really, there's no real need for it.  It neither makes them better than they were, nor remembered more fondly.

OK, distracting rant over.

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

I notice that in any form of "social media" especially since the advent of FaceBook, there's a tendency to treat ALL recently deceased celebrities as if they were the BEST THING since sliced bread!  All of a sudden some of the more obscure "celebrities" (like the aforementioned Erdman) are praised as "great" in some cases "legendary"  and somebody ALWAYS has a "favorite" of theirs and come off(or try to) as that person's "biggest fan".  

It's even worse when it comes to musicians. 

Unfortunately it takes the death of celebrity (especially character actors) to get anyone to mention them. 

Erdman was someone I always noticed because he appeared in film with icons like Marlon Brando (The Men) and William Holden (Stalag 17). The first time I remembered him was as Dog-face Dolan in the Martin and Lewis comedy "Jumping Jacks". The fact that he was even still alive in 2019 seemed like big news.

As for musicians, we are seeing that with the passing of Dick Dale. I had never even heard of him until "Pulp Fiction" but I am sure many followed his career from the beginning, even though he never had a top 40 hit.

57 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

As for musicians, we are seeing that with the passing of Dick Dale. I had never even heard of him until "Pulp Fiction" but I am sure many followed his career from the beginning, even though he never had a top 40 hit.

I had never heard of Dick Dale.

Boy, was he great!

3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Unfortunately it takes the death of celebrity (especially character actors) to get anyone to mention them. 

Erdman was someone I always noticed because he appeared in film with icons like Marlon Brando (The Men) and William Holden (Stalag 17). The first time I remembered him was as Dog-face Dolan in the Martin and Lewis comedy "Jumping Jacks". The fact that he was even still alive in 2019 seemed like big news.

The L.A. Times had a very nice,  detailed and long obituary for Richard Erdman.    I was surprised since he was a supporting actor;  I believe the main reason was due his being on the sitcom "Community",  which premiered in 2009.      E.g. when Deana Durbin passed a few years back the Times obituary wasn't as 'complete' as this one for Erdman (Durbin hadn't been a public figure in over 40 years when she passed).

The article ends with Erdman talking about being a second banana: "In only about two of the pictures did I ever get the girl",  he added "Usually I play the leading lady's boyfriend who is left at the altar while the heroine elopes with Cary Grant.  That's why I like to act in Utah.   I the the girl.  In Hollywood and on Broadway I end up in second place".

But what a second baseman!    The article had this picture:

Richard Erdman, prolific actor who appeared in âStalag 17â and âCommunity,â dies at 93

I knew him mainly as 'Hoffy' from Stalag 17, and despite Erdman's opinion that he was "the only guy in the picture who wasn't funny," I think he delivers the film's funniest line.

'Sgt. Schultz' enters the P.O.W.s' barracks and asks, "Did I interrupt something, gentlemen?" to which 'Hoffy' responds, "Yeah, Schultz, we were just passing out guns."

R.I.P., Mr. Erdman.

How tall is she by the way? Warner Bros & J.L.Warner's always insisted on having NATALIE WOOD as being 5'0 & with 3 8inch spkies???\She called it her BADGE when going out on public venues & owed it to her fans   & can you believe her tiny feet wsere just 5 & 1/2-(PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING, MY MOTHER WAS THEN THE SHORTESTEST NYC ROCKETT AR RADIO CITY & HER FEET WERE IDENTIAL TO NATASHA"S

WATCH FOR REDFORD SEMI PUNK BIT ON A TCM TRUBUTE ON MANY MIONTHS NOW!  (PLUS, the so siound recording, yet indreibable toogratege or cast, crew,etc filming "DAISY CLOVER") 

I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO RETURN AGHAIN TO AN EMOIRE CALLED HOLLYWOODLAND MY FRIENDS!!!

SOUNDS LIKE "MARNERLAY, HUH"   BUT ITY'S SEEMINGLY SAD YET TRYE    HOLLYWOODS OF NOW A STATE OT MONTH

23 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Yeah, I'm sure he was one of those character actors that SOME might have taken note of and recognized in several movies or shows without knowing his name, like me and many others never knowing say, both PECY HELTON's and BURT MUSTIN's names, but always recognizing them and enjoying seeing them in many other movies and TV shows ver the years.  For example.....

I never knew PERCY HELTON by name until MERV GRIFFIN had him as a guest on his daytime talk show in the mid to late '60's.  He introduced him by saying...:  "Here's a man who've you all have seen on many TV shows and in many movies, but never knew just who he was.  You'd probably see him and say to yourselves, "Oh!  THAT guy!"  ;)  Then he brought him out. 

However, I still have my doubts that you saw Erdman in some old movie years ago on the late show or something and exclaimed, "Oh!  RICHARD ERDMAN's in this!  He's one of my FAVORITES!!  ;)

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

However, I still have my doubts that you saw Erdman in some old movie years ago on the late show or something and exclaimed, "Oh!  RICHARD ERDMAN's in this!  He's one of my FAVORITES!!  ;)

You obviously never watched "Community."