Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

RIP 20th Century Fox

86 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2019 at 11:25 AM, DougieB said:

I wonder if any of this is motivated by Disney's desire to get their hands on Shirley Temple. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Shirley's image everywhere now. Also, all those Alice Faye/Betty Grable Technicolor musicals would sure fit the Disney brand. 

I think Disney bought Fox for the same reason that AT&T bought Time-Warner.  Everybody is aiming at streaming and they are trying to buy up as much content as they can to have exclusive rights to whatever streaming channel that they ultimately come up with. I doubt if any of the suits over at Disney even know who Shirley Temple is. I will bet that they shut down the Fox Movie Channel faster than AT&T shut down Filmstruck and in the same manner - to no immediate purpose and with nothing to replace it for months, years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

OH, and I forgot to mention here...

Ya know that added little increased rolling flourish to Alfred Newman's (no, not that funny lookin' kid with the missing tooth on the cover of all Mad Magazines and who Friends star David Schwimmer looks a hell of a lot like...no, I'm talkin' the old 20th Century Fox studio musical composer here) Fanfare for that studio that they added after they went to the Cinemascope format?

Well, the aforementioned earthquake that fateful day of October 29th, 1953 and which was epicentered along the Newport-Inglewood Fault Line, and where along the extreme north of that seismic rift the old 20th Century Fox studios were located, but where since 1963 the Century City area of west Los Angeles presently lay, well, the rolling action of that earthquake actually inspired Alfred (the COMPOSER, not the funny lookin' kid once again) to write that part and then add it onto his studio's fanfare! 

(...bet ya didn't know that either, did ya...although you probably already knew that part about David Schwimmer lookin' like that Mad Magazine cover boy, didn't ya)

They wanted to get their greedy hands on all the movies already produced for streaming. The rest will go in the trashcan.

5 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

They wanted to get their greedy hands on all the movies already produced for streaming. The rest will go in the trashcan.

I think I can safely say that, with the exception of a few tentpole classics, most of the films that the people would be interested in on this board will go into the trashcan.

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

I think I can safely say that, with the exception of a few tentpole classics, most of the films that the people would be interested in on this board will go into the trashcan.

You mean besides the 1937 Fox fire?

On an unrelated side note - just watching some old Dick Cavett interviews.  Good stuff, at times.  I used to have a friend like him, he stuck his foot in his mouth the other half of the time.  Great fun though.

9 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I doubt if any of the suits over at Disney even know who Shirley Temple is.

And just like the Great Depression....our country NEEDS a happy psychological boost like Shirley Temple (and Astaire/Rogers fluff & glitter) to cheer us during these bleak times. 

Bleak not only watching our world circling the toilet, but also facing a very difficult economy. 

It's emotionally disheartening to watch huge corporations spending billions of dollars becoming even more powerful "buying things" while the general population struggles to maintain our present condition & lifestyle. Even worse anticipating these huge corporations holding our entertainment hostage.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

And just like the Great Depression....our country NEEDS a happy psychological boost like Shirley Temple (and Astaire/Rogers fluff & glitter) to cheer us during these bleak times. 

Bleak not only watching our world circling the toilet, but also facing a very difficult economy. 

It's emotionally disheartening to watch huge corporations spending billions of dollars becoming even more powerful "buying things" while the general population struggles to maintain our present condition & lifestyle. Even worse anticipating these huge corporations holding our entertainment hostage. 

And the huge corporations don't have a clue how to make that kind of entertainment. And they don't have a clue - or they don't care - that the world is circling the toilet and facing a difficult economy. They see those old movies that we love that they hold hostage as worthless. When Robert Osborne was still alive, he mentioned one time how he would meet people who would enthusiastically greet him and say "You got me through cancer!", or "You got me through unemployment!".  He was speaking, of course, of his role as TCM host.  I don't think that the Marvel Comic Universe movies could ever do either of those things.

• Like 3

Was thinking possibly of making a retrospective thread going through Fox releases of the past. Nothing fancy, just pictures, names of films, genres, a star or two. Would people be interested?

• Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Was thinking possibly of making a retrospective thread going through Fox releases of the past. Nothing fancy, just pictures, names of films, genres, a star or two. Would people be interested?

Yes, please.

It seems 20th Century Fox has given one last parting gift to classic film fans. The Criterion Collection, the luxury DVD/Blue-Ray line, includes a little cartoon in their newsletter hinting at an upcoming release not yet announced. This was the most recent cartoon hint.

55474754_10161737139270392_1090848738869It shows what looks to be George Clooney's face on the body of Charlie Brown. Take the last names together and you come up with Cluny Brown, the last masterpiece by Ernst Lubitsch. The Jennifer Jones-Charles Boyer classic has never been given any release on any home media up to this point, so Fox's clearing this to Criterion is a major joy, and a very welcome final gift. "Squirrels to the nuts!"

Cluny_Brown.jpg

4061196_orig.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 6:03 PM, CinemaInternational said:

YES!

25 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It seems 20th Century Fox has given one last parting gift to classic film fans. The Criterion Collection, the luxury DVD/Blue-Ray line, includes a little cartoon in their newsletter hinting at an upcoming release not yet announced. This was the most recent cartoon hint.

55474754_10161737139270392_1090848738869It shows what looks to be George Clooney's face on the body of Charlie Brown. Take the last names together and you come up with Cluny Brown, the last masterpiece by Ernst Lubitsch. The Jennifer Jones-Charles Boyer classic has never been given any release on any home media up to this point, so Fox's clearing this to Criterion is a major joy, and a very welcome final gift. "Squirrels to the nuts!"

Cluny_Brown.jpg

4061196_orig.jpg

YES! LOVE that movie!

7 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

55474754_10161737139270392_1090848738869It shows what looks to be George Clooney's face on the body of Charlie Brown. Take the last names together and you come up with Cluny Brown, the last masterpiece by Ernst Lubitsch.

...THANK you!  I'd seen that on Twitter (I hadn't gotten the newsletter for a while, and didn't know they were doing the cartoon riddles the rest of the year), and was struggling with whose face that was...Too white to be Obama?

And yes, Ernst Lubitsch pretty well cements it as a Criterion release.  Once they have a director, they never let him go.

I didn't even know that,that's why tcm is doing a salute to fox in July,so sad, they should have wanted a n September to show more films released from fox like Alien ('79),Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid ('69), Planet of the Apes ('68), MASH ('70), Die Hard ('88),The Longest Day ('62), Titanic ('53 and '97),X-Men ('00), Avatar ('09) and many more😭😭😭😭😭😭

Disney’s Iger: Fox Buy Due To Streaming

It wasn’t the possibility of superhero team-ups, it wasn’t sport, it wasn’t owning cable networks – according to Disney CEO Bob Iger, the single biggest reason Disney forked out tens of billions to purchase 21st Century Fox? Streaming.

In a new interview with CNBC, which was done after the unveiling of the Disney+ streaming service, Iger spoke about the purchase which he says would not have happened if Disney hadn’t decided to get into the direct-to-consumer streaming business. There’s also the added bonus of owning the dominant share of the Hulu pie, giving the company another pipeline for its product:

“We would not have done that transaction had we not decided to go in this [streaming] direction because – if we hadn’t, we would have been looking at that business and through a traditional lens: ‘Oh, we’re buying TV channels. We’re buying more movie-making capability, et cetera’.

But by the time the acquisition opportunity came up, and we knew we were going in this space, we evaluated what we were buying through this new lens of: ‘Wow, what could National Geographic mean to us?’. What could it mean having access to [Fox’s] library, not to monetize it through traditional means, but to do it through [streaming]?. Bam! I mean, the light bulb went off.”

Disney+ launches on November 12th, for $6.99 per month.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/disneys-iger-fox-buy-due-to-streaming/

50 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Disney’s Iger: Fox Buy Due To Streaming

It wasn’t the possibility of superhero team-ups, it wasn’t sport, it wasn’t owning cable networks – according to Disney CEO Bob Iger, the single biggest reason Disney forked out tens of billions to purchase 21st Century Fox? Streaming.

In a new interview with CNBC, which was done after the unveiling of the Disney+ streaming service, Iger spoke about the purchase which he says would not have happened if Disney hadn’t decided to get into the direct-to-consumer streaming business. There’s also the added bonus of owning the dominant share of the Hulu pie, giving the company another pipeline for its product:

“We would not have done that transaction had we not decided to go in this [streaming] direction because – if we hadn’t, we would have been looking at that business and through a traditional lens: ‘Oh, we’re buying TV channels. We’re buying more movie-making capability, et cetera’.

But by the time the acquisition opportunity came up, and we knew we were going in this space, we evaluated what we were buying through this new lens of: ‘Wow, what could National Geographic mean to us?’. What could it mean having access to [Fox’s] library, not to monetize it through traditional means, but to do it through [streaming]?. Bam! I mean, the light bulb went off.”

Disney+ launches on November 12th, for $6.99 per month.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/disneys-iger-fox-buy-due-to-streaming/

Not really surprising actually. if you think about it the Disney film library was surprisingly tiny before the merger. Because they sold off Miramax, and then leased out many 80s-00s Touchstone/Hollywood films to Kino lorber, their library was only in the vicinity of maybe about 500-600 films.

1 minute ago, Michael Rennie said:

My interest in Disney+ would be for the Disney movies.

There is a claim the entire Disney library will be available to stream.

AT LAUNCH:
– The first-ever live-action “Star Wars” series “The Mandalorian”.
– “Captain Marvel”, at least 11 other MCU films & several Marvel animated series
– All “Star Wars” movies + ‘Rebels’ and ‘Clone Wars’ series
– Disney’s entire 13-film Signature Collection
– First 30 Seasons Of “The Simpsons”
– The live-action “Lady and the Tramp” film
– “The World According to Jeff Goldblum” Reality Series
– “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”
– Numerous unscripted original series
– 250+ hours of National Geographic content
– Catalogue films including: “Avatar,” “Mary Poppins,” “The Rocketeer,” “Tron”
– Disney Channel content (100+ Films, 5000+ episodes) including: “Boy Meets World,” “Ducktales” (1987 & 2016), “Kim Possible,” “That’s So Raven”.

WITHIN FIRST YEAR:
– All Disney theatrical releases from 2019 onwards
– All Pixar movies and shorts.
– Marvel Series: “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier,” “What If…”
– The new “Phineas and Ferb” Movie & Entire Series
– “Monsters At Work” – the “Monsters Inc.” Series
– “Diary of a Female President,” “Love Simon,” “The Sandlot” Series
– “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” Season 7
– More unscripted original series
– Multi-Episode “Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2” Doco
– Original movies: “Noelle,” “Timmy Failure,” “Stargirl,” “Togo”.

WITHIN TWO YEARS:
– Marvel Series: “WandaVision,” “Loki”
– The announced this week “Hawkeye” Mini-Series
– The untitled Cassian Andor “Rogue One” prequel series

http://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-unveils-ambitious-disney-plans/

Just now, LawrenceA said:

AT LAUNCH:
– The first-ever live-action “Star Wars” series “The Mandalorian”.
– “Captain Marvel”, at least 11 other MCU films & several Marvel animated series
– All “Star Wars” movies + ‘Rebels’ and ‘Clone Wars’ series
– Disney’s entire 13-film Signature Collection
– First 30 Seasons Of “The Simpsons”
– The live-action “Lady and the Tramp” film
– “The World According to Jeff Goldblum” Reality Series
– “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series”
– Numerous unscripted original series
– 250+ hours of National Geographic content
– Catalogue films including: “Avatar,” “Mary Poppins,” “The Rocketeer,” “Tron”
– Disney Channel content (100+ Films, 5000+ episodes) including: “Boy Meets World,” “Ducktales” (1987 & 2016), “Kim Possible,” “That’s So Raven”.

WITHIN FIRST YEAR:
– All Disney theatrical releases from 2019 onwards
– All Pixar movies and shorts.
– Marvel Series: “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier,” “What If…”
– The new “Phineas and Ferb” Movie & Entire Series
– “Monsters At Work” – the “Monsters Inc.” Series
– “Diary of a Female President,” “Love Simon,” “The Sandlot” Series
– “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” Season 7
– More unscripted original series
– Multi-Episode “Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2” Doco
– Original movies: “Noelle,” “Timmy Failure,” “Stargirl,” “Togo”.

WITHIN TWO YEARS:
– Marvel Series: “WandaVision,” “Loki”
– The announced this week “Hawkeye” Mini-Series
– The untitled Cassian Andor “Rogue One” prequel series

http://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-unveils-ambitious-disney-plans/

Almost makes me shiver thinking that Avatar is now a catalog title. I still remember all the ruckus when it came out 10 years ago. Seems to have fallen to the wayside since then, even despite its big numbers and the upcoming sequels. I never saw it though.

Just now, CinemaInternational said:

Almost makes me shiver thinking that Avatar is now a catalog title. I still remember all the ruckus when it came out 10 years ago. Seems to have fallen to the wayside since then, even despite its big numbers and the upcoming sequels. I never saw it though.

You didn't miss much, but of course these things are subjective, and there are people who loved it. It seems to have been big with the 3D crowd, of which I'm not one. The story is as clunky as most of James Cameron's films (excepting The Terminator and Aliens). I suspect that it will be inescapable as the flurry of sequels approach. :( 

• Thanks 2

The title of this thread reminds me of Zero Mostel's comments when he was questioned by HUAC. Mostel refused to name names:

"His testimony won him admiration in the blacklisted community, and in addition to not naming names he also confronted the committee on ideological matters, something that was rarely done. Among other things, he referred to Twentieth Century Fox as "18th Century Fox" (due to its collaboration with the committee), and manipulated the committee members to make them appear foolish. Mostel would later comment "What did they think I was going to do - sell acting secrets to the Russians?"."

zero-mostel-9416421-2-raw.jpg

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

WITHIN FIRST YEAR:
– Marvel Series:  “What If…”

Two words have just restored my interest (or at least raised its status up from "Non-Existent") in Disney+'s made-for-streaming series.  B)

(And the Watchers had already been introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, so MCU's already got precedent.)

34 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I've never seen the end of it, since I walked out on it in the theaters for excessive corniness.  I tried watching it again on 3-D Blu-ray (to celebrate its "release from captivity", after the infamous marketing bungle that sank 3DTV), but...nope.  Jim, you've REALLY got some major issues, haven'tchu?  😓

But Disney never realized they'd someday own Fox when they built that entire Avatar section of the theme parks, so it can only work for them.

Disney Axing Multiple Fox Films

disney-axing-multiple-fox-films-696x464.

The scrapping of the costly tentpole Mouse Guard was just the start of Disney’s gutting of 20th Century Fox’s film development and preproduction slate.

A new report at THR indicates Disney studio chief Alan Horn is culling further projects. As previously reported, Paul Greengrass’ drama News of the World and an adaptation of Angie Thomas’ best-seller On the Come Up were both put into turnaround and were subsequently snagged by Universal and Paramount respectively.

Now Ted Melfi’s mental-hospital-set dramedy Fruit Loops which was to star Woody Harrelson is also likely to be put in turnaround.

Sources for the trade say Mouse Guard was due to it being too expensive for a nonfranchise film, while On the Come Up was scrapped because the critically acclaimed The Hate U Give underperformed.

The only guaranteed safe films are the Avatar sequels with the second one finishing filming last week. Five others are likely to go ahead: Kingsman: The Great GameFear StreetWest Side StoryFree Guy and Death on the Nile.

However even those five are under increased scrutiny with Horn questioning the plan to have young characters smoking onscreen in West Side Story. It’s also tipped that Clint Eastwood’s The Ballad of Richard Jewell will likely be the first Fox greenlight of the new era.

Separately The Observer reports that one other likely safe film is Artemis, the new project from Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse) and based on The Martian author Andy Weir’s 2017 novel. The story takes place in the late 2080s and is set on the first and only city on the moon.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-axing-multiple-fox-films/

• Sad 1

On 4/24/2019 at 3:23 PM, LawrenceA said:

Disney Axing Multiple Fox Films

disney-axing-multiple-fox-films-696x464.

The scrapping of the costly tentpole Mouse Guard was just the start of Disney’s gutting of 20th Century Fox’s film development and preproduction slate.

A new report at THR indicates Disney studio chief Alan Horn is culling further projects. As previously reported, Paul Greengrass’ drama News of the World and an adaptation of Angie Thomas’ best-seller On the Come Up were both put into turnaround and were subsequently snagged by Universal and Paramount respectively.

Now Ted Melfi’s mental-hospital-set dramedy Fruit Loops which was to star Woody Harrelson is also likely to be put in turnaround.

Sources for the trade say Mouse Guard was due to it being too expensive for a nonfranchise film, while On the Come Up was scrapped because the critically acclaimed The Hate U Give underperformed.

The only guaranteed safe films are the Avatar sequels with the second one finishing filming last week. Five others are likely to go ahead: Kingsman: The Great GameFear StreetWest Side StoryFree Guy and Death on the Nile.

However even those five are under increased scrutiny with Horn questioning the plan to have young characters smoking onscreen in West Side Story. It’s also tipped that Clint Eastwood’s The Ballad of Richard Jewell will likely be the first Fox greenlight of the new era.

Separately The Observer reports that one other likely safe film is Artemis, the new project from Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse) and based on The Martian author Andy Weir’s 2017 novel. The story takes place in the late 2080s and is set on the first and only city on the moon.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-axing-multiple-fox-films/

Not that I know anything about these Fox film projects that Disney axed, but considering everything Disney has touched in the last five years has turned to cr*p, I'm surprised that anybody at Disney thinks that they can spot cr*p when they see it. They've managed to ruin Star Wars, MCU (not that big of a fan in the first place), and it looks like they are working their magic on Pixar with a completely unneeded Toy Story 4.  The only interesting movie I can think of involving all of this would have Walt rising from his grave and taking bloody revenge on the bean counter suits that did this to his empire.  I WOULD pay to see THAT.