Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

RIP 20th Century Fox

88 posts in this topic

Well, its official now. Disney bought out 20th Century Fox, and Fox's long run as a independent major studio will be coming to an end just hours from now at 12:02 AM (don't know if that's Eastern or Pacific time). Fox gave us many great films over the years and had many great stars in its studio system days, and I for one as very sad to see it end this way, that now they will only be a subsidiary. It's a sad day in Hollywood history.

  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The intention is to still keep the label open it seems, but even so, it seems like a strange step forward. There is though one amusing thing to come out of this. Disney now becomes the owner of both Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and Myra Breckinridge, two very un-Disney like films. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

There is though one amusing thing to come out of this. Disney now becomes the owner of both Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and Myra Breckinridge, two very un-Disney like films. 

Thank you for being literally the FIRST person I've heard in the last year to comment on the Disney/Fox deal without mentioning: 

  • the X-Men
  • Homer Simpson
  • Deadpool
  • Avatar
  • Doctor Doom
  • Star Wars Episode IV
  • Alien/s

When those are the first movies that spring to mind, our movie culture is in deep trouble.  😓

Me, I remember back in the late 70's, when Fox had their own weekly syndicated TV knockoff of MGM's "That's Entertainment", consisting of famous nostalgic Fox clips--That was always my image of the Fox studio, back when...well, why remember, when we have YouTube?:

(Keep in mind, this was fall of '77, when any mention of Star Wars on TV was "Oh no, they didn't! 😮"  As we can see, however, it was also back when Fox still considered Burt & Liza in "Lucky Lady" one of their "big" films.)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yuk, it makes Disney Corp more loathsome if that's even possible. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I don't consider Disney Corp. as "loathsome"  and you gotta admit( I do anyway) that it IS better that another entertainment industry company take the helm of a movie studio rather that an OIL COMPANY( like Gulf+Western and Paramount) or some other industry that has NO experience in movie making or distribution.  Hell, I remember reading that THE GODFATHER almost didn't get made because the suits at G+W weren't keen on both the movie and BRANDO being in it. And COPPOLA had to spread a lot of cheek to get the green light on it. ;)

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that a company's name was defined by one century...that we were still calling it 20th Century Fox instead of 21st Century Fox.

Of all the studio names, Universal seems the most futuristic and timeless. There could still be a Universal Studios a thousand years from now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EricJ said:

 

Me, I remember back in the late 70's, when Fox had their own weekly syndicated TV knockoff of MGM's "That's Entertainment", consisting of famous nostalgic Fox clips--That was always my image of the Fox studio, back when...well, why remember, when we have YouTube?:

 

I got to appreciate Fox films when Saturday Night at the Movies premiered on NBC in the early 1960's. It was the first time recent and/or major films were shown on network television on a regular basis. Later, ABC contracted to show United Artists films on Sunday nights, but the NBC deal with Fox was the first. I'd seen one Marilyn Monroe movie in a theater, but that was my chance to see the rest of her major films. I remember being thrilled to see The Day the Earth Stood Still because I'd been too young to see it when it was released. There were so many good comedy and adventure films (I wasn't yet a real fan of dramas.) that Fox is inextricably embedded in memories of my youth. So that will always be my image of the Fox studio too. None of the studios are now what they were then, being more brokers than anything else, and studio heads seem to change fairly regularly, so there's not the same kind of individualized product. So, in a sense, I'm not all that sure it matters what umbrella any of them fall under.

I'm also mad at Fox for not taking better care of their film legacy. There still aren't major widescreen restorations of some of their films, a real sin because they were the pioneers of CinemaScope and basically browbeat neighborhood mom-and-pop theaters into refitting for widescreen, a significant financial burden at the time. I love widescreen in all its forms, so I'm glad it worked out, but for years now Fox has been very cavalier about maintaining the legacy they helped to create. If Disney is willing to do some of that work, I wouldn't be unhappy about it. But I'm mad at Disney too. Every time I see storm troopers marching behind Disney princesses in their parades, my head explodes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting that a company's name was defined by one century...that we were still calling it 20th Century Fox instead of 21st Century Fox.

Of all the studio names, Universal seems the most futuristic and timeless. There could still be a Universal Studios a thousand years from now.

The old logo looks pretty futuristic for its day.

universal-centennial-1940s-logo_rgb-2-cu

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if any of this is motivated by Disney's desire to get their hands on Shirley Temple. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Shirley's image everywhere now. Also, all those Alice Faye/Betty Grable Technicolor musicals would sure fit the Disney brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Well, its official now. Disney bought out 20th Century Fox, and Fox's long run as a independent major studio will be coming to an end just hours from now at 12:02 AM (don't know if that's Eastern or Pacific time). Fox gave us many great films over the years and had many great stars in its studio system days, and I for one as very sad to see it end this way, that now they will only be a subsidiary. It's a sad day in Hollywood history.

The early days when Fox started off as an independent studio.

Fox-Film-400x300.jpg

William-Fox-Studios-400x267.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I wonder if any of this is motivated by Disney's desire to get their hands on Shirley Temple. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Shirley's image everywhere now. Also, all those Alice Faye/Betty Grable Technicolor musicals would sure fit the Disney brand.

Disney long since got their hands on her when they made this...

:blink:

3005.Shirley_2D00_7.jpg

...and

91mdxho3rDL._SY445_.jpg

 

Edited by hamradio
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Disney long since got their hands on her when they made this.

91mdxho3rDL._SY445_.jpg

 

Yikes! Too precious for words, or at least words I want to use here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hamradio said:

The early days when Fox started off as an independent studio.

Fox-Film-400x300.jpg

William-Fox-Studios-400x267.jpg

Most of them started as independent studios and grew over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

The intention is to still keep the label open it seems, but even so, it seems like a strange step forward. There is though one amusing thing to come out of this. Disney now becomes the owner of both Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and Myra Breckinridge, two very un-Disney like films. 

Can you name 2 or 3 potential harmful events \ things that will come from this take-over?

My main concern would be what Disney does with Fox movies they now own the rights too that were made prior to 1970 (or so);  E.g.  Disney would no longer lease these films to TCM??????        

I'm sincerely interested in what is driving these negative views?   What is there to be afraid of?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if the upcoming TCM Film Festival schedule was affected by anticipation of this deal, but one portion of the festival is a salute to Fox films, with Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Robe, Samson and Delilah, The Dolly Sisters, and Magnificent Obsession among others to be shown. I expect that Fox: an Appreciation will be even more popular at the festival given the situation.

For some of us, the incessant mergers in every field represent a dangerous trend. For instance, how many people know that over half of the American publishing industry is owned by one German conglomerate, the Bertelsmann Group? How can this possibly be good for our economy or our society?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Can you name 2 or 3 potential harmful events \ things that will come from this take-over?

My main concern would be what Disney does with Fox movies they now own the rights too that were made prior to 1970 (or so);  E.g.  Disney would no longer lease these films to TCM??????        

I'm sincerely interested in what is driving these negative views?   What is there to be afraid of?

 

Best case scenario would be, if the older Disney movies being shown on TCM are any indication, that the oldest Fox acquisitions follow suit.  I too have been hoping for better exposure to pre-1970 movies from 20th Century Fox.  Maybe we will get that from Disney.  I just hope AT&T allows TCM to continue those relationships.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingrat said:

I don't know if the upcoming TCM Film Festival schedule was affected by anticipation of this deal, but one portion of the festival is a salute to Fox films, with Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Robe, Samson and Delilah, The Dolly Sisters, and Magnificent Obsession among others to be shown. I expect that Fox: an Appreciation will be even more popular at the festival given the situation.

For some of us, the incessant mergers in every field represent a dangerous trend. For instance, how many people know that over half of the American publishing industry is owned by one German conglomerate, the Bertelsmann Group? How can this possibly be good for our economy or our society?

MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION is a Universal release.

THE DOLLY SISTERS isn't exactly one of Fox's best musicals with Betty Grable. Wonder why they chose it.

I prefer SWEET ROSIE O'GRADY (1943).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The old logo looks pretty futuristic for its day.

universal-centennial-1940s-logo_rgb-2-cu

Reminds me 1950s aluminum sputnik decorations, you could still see stuff like this in the shopping malls as late as the 1970s.  Probably shot in multiple takes though (i.e. not just one big piece with moving parts).  My favorite iteration of that moving logo was in its earliest days, for a short period of time they included the words "It's a Universal Picture".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Reminds me 1950s aluminum sputnik decorations, you could still see stuff like this in the shopping malls as late as the 1970s.  Probably shot in multiple takes though (i.e. not just one big piece with moving parts).  My favorite iteration of that moving logo was in its earliest days, for a short period of time they included the words "It's a Universal Picture".

I think you mean this one:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is unfortunate the movies we watch on TCM, all depends on fees. I suspect the movies we see the most are the most affordable ones. I've heard others here say, "No TCM won't play that. It would cost too much."

I would like to see TCM do exactly what Starz does. EXACTLY!

Channels that play live on cable and satellite, and on demand streaming.

I want more choices, and AT&T wants more money. Win Win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think you mean this one:

 

Maybe...  I seem to remember it being incorporated into the sputnik design though.  It sort of caught me by surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Maybe...  I seem to remember it being incorporated into the sputnik design though.

Not sure what you mean by sputnik design...care to elaborate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us