Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

SEND ME NO FLOWERS (1964) heaven in the suburbs

26 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, Hibi said:

Bad taste was his game. I dont think Doris or Rock would've wanted him as director. And Waters always wrote his own scripts (I'm sure he didn't write this one!)

I understand the outside-the-box nature of my original suggestion, but I think by that time John had grown beyond bad taste into odd taste. Whether or not John could have or would have done it, a Rock/Doris reboot would have had to turn the old formula on its head in one way or another to sell it to a 1980's audience. Whatever may be said of post-Hairspray John Waters, I think he respected his actors, and that would include extreme outsiders like Edith Massey as well as the "name" stars John brought into his orbit. That was part of my point, that Rock and Doris would have had to at least partially leave their orbit for a reteaming to work. I wonder what script they approved and whether it may have continued the storylines from any of their previous films.

You're right that John wrote his own scripts, but I recall him saying at one time that he would have loved the chance to direct the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel A Confederacy of Dunces without the necessity of writing the script himself, in other words whatever it would take to have the opportunity.

Around that time, a similar attempt to package vintage stars, The Mirror Crack'd, missed the mark because it didn't seem as though there was much real respect for the actors or their legacy.