Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #40: TURNING OVER A *NEW* LEAF—CLOSED! VOTING THREAD COMING SOON!!

49 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.  I am so sorry that it's taken me so long to post the new challenge thread.  I've had a really busy couple of months, capped off with having to take my husband to the ER at the end of February and consequently spending two days with him in the hospital while he had surgery.  March has been busy.  I traveled to the Bay Area for work and it was my sister's 30th birthday.  Whew.  This is the first free weekend I've had in quite some time.  I wanted to get this posted before I go on vacation in a couple weeks--this time to So.Cal! 

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #40: Turning Over a *New* Leaf

THE RULES

BACKSTORY:

Path40a created the first TCM Programming Challenge in February, 2006 to give people a glimpse into the complexities of the programming process. The challenge has endured because it allows entrants to exercise their imagination, display their knowledge and introduce rare classics. TCM Programming Challenges are neither sponsored nor endorsed by TCM but tcmprogrammr has stated that programmers happily steal ideas from these schedules. Many entrants have had the joy of seeing their themes and movie selections air on TCM. The Challenge is to create a week’s schedule following TCM’s standard format.

WHEN IT BEGINS/WHEN IT ENDS:

This challenge starts right now--Saturday, March 23, 2019 and runs until Friday, May 31, 2019 at 11:59pm PST.  The Voting Thread will be posted during the weekend of June 1-2, 2019. 

WHO CAN ENTER/WHO CAN VOTE:

Everyone is welcome to create and post a schedule, and everyone is welcome to vote! It’s much easier than it sounds, and it’s quite fun! Voting takes place in a separate voting thread after the challenge is closed. You may either vote by posting your selection on the thread or by directly messaging the moderator. The winner has the honor of running the next challenge. If you want to enter but can’t host the next challenge, enter anyway, then withdraw from voting. We want to see your ideas too!

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

1. Create a week's schedule which begins at 6 AM (EST) Sunday and ends at 6 AM (EST) the following Sunday. The week selected must be between July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020. 

2. Each day’s programming can begin whenever the evening schedule is over. TCM spills their evening schedules into the next day all the time, or sometimes starts the next day at 3am, so there is no official starting time.

3. Primetime/Evening MUST begin at 8 PM (EST). TCM never strays from this, so neither shall we.

4. Feature films must start on the hour, quarter-hour, half-hour or three-quarters hour. Short films or other material can be used to “fill-in” between movies so that there is never more than 14 minutes of unscheduled time between features, but don’t feel like you need to schedule all those little in-between commercials and interviews—we can all assume they are there.

5. You will be allowed a total of 15 premieres for this challenge, not including premieres which are EXEMPT from the limit.  The number of EXEMPT premieres will be noted in the challenge requirements.

YOUR SCHEDULE MUST INCLUDE:

1. Star of the Month -- At least 4 movies on one evening to showcase an actor. The SOTM must have a body of work large enough to allow similar blocks the other weeks in the month.

2. Silent Sunday Night -- A silent movie which begins at approximately 12 AM (EST) Sunday night/Monday morning.

3. TCM Imports -- A foreign film that begins at approximately 2 AM (EST) Monday morning.

4. TCM Spotlight -- A group of films which showcase a theme which appears in primetime each one night a week for a month.

5. TCM Underground -- A little known or “cult” film which begins at approximately 2 AM (EST) Saturday night.

6. Noir Alley – a film noir starting at midnight on Saturday Night

7. Mandatory Challenges as outlined for TCM Programming Challenge #40

**I have removed The Essentials from the list of required programming--as it seems to have disappeared from TCM itself.***

FYI:

·         Silent Sunday Night, Noir Alley, TCM Imports and TCM Underground are exempt from the limit of premieres stated in the requirements for this challenge.

·         You may include a Guest Programmer but you are not required to do so unless it is a mandatory challenge requirement.

·         Programming related to birthdays, anniversaries of historical or cinematic importance, genres, places or anything else that can reasonably be thematically grouped together is encouraged. Thought provoking, humorous and/or outrageous themes are especially welcome.

·         Programming notes to explain your themes or to provide additional information on your selected movies are not required but are greatly encouraged. These notes should be on a separate post following the posting of your schedule.

FORMAT AND JUSTIFICATIONS:

Follow the standard TCM scheduling format for each film: Time, Title, Year, Actor(s), Director(s), Studio, Running Time, and justification (if any).

EXAMPLE:

6:15pm The Long, Long Trailer (1954) Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Marjorie Main. Dir. Vincente Minnelli. MGM. 103 mins. (p/s).

Running times and studio information may be found in the TCM database or at IMDB.com

Justifications:

·         P/S for movies or programs which have been previously shown.

·         E or “Exempt” for Silent Sunday Night, TCM Imports or TCM Underground films.

·         PD or “Public Domain” for films in the public domain.

·         “PREMIERE” for movies which count toward the Challenge allowance on premieres.

·         No notation is needed for any movie in the original Turner film library or anything already shown on TCM.

Studio abbreviations some of us use for less typing (not a requirement, just FYI):

·         UI = Universal International Pictures

·         WB = Warner Brothers

·         MGM = Metro Goldwyn Mayer

·         RKO = RKO Radio Pictures

·         PAR = Paramount

·         COL = Columbia

·         FOX = 20th Century Fox

·         RANK = J Arthur Rank

·       UA = United Artists

HELPFUL LINKS & INFO:

·         The original Turner library consisted of: Warner Brothers (pre-1948 only,) MGM (pre-1986 only) and RKO (all years.)

·         Disney animated feature films are only allowed as part of your Treasures from the Disney Vault segment because Disney will not license them to TCM otherwise. Disney live action films are allowed, either as previously shown films or as premieres. Animated movies created by other studios whose rights were later acquired Disney are allowed as previously shown films or as premieres. Disney shorts or cartoons which have been previously shown on TCM are allowed.

·         All other theatrical films are allowed as premieres.

Movies in the original Turner library are:

·         Warner Brothers (pre-1948 only): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warner_Bros._films

·         MGM (pre-1986 only): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer_films

·         RKO (all): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_RKO_Pictures_films

Movies in the public domain are: https://archive.org/details/feature_films/

The most commonly used libraries are:

·         Columbia Pictures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Columbia_Pictures_films

·         United Artists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Artists_films

·         Samuel Goldwyn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Goldwyn_Productions#Filmography

·         J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rank_Organisation#Select_filmography 

·         20th Century Fox: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20th_Century_Fox_films_(1935–99)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20th_Century_Fox_films_(2000–present)

·         Paramount Pictures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paramount_Pictures_films

·         Universal Pictures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Universal_Pictures_films

·         British Gaumont Pictures: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gainsborough_Pictures_films

A link of previous Stars Of The Month can be found here: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/48417-tcm-stars-of-the-month/

Previous Challenges can be reviewed here: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/forum/138-tcm-program-challenges-archive/

How to tell if a movie has aired previously on TCM:

Many thanks to MovieCollectorOH for his “unofficial report” of what has aired on TCM since 2001. It can be a great resource as you are creating your schedule:

http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

THAT’S THE BASIC INFO!

Thanks to previous Challenge Moderators for the opportunity to use their instructions. If you have any questions, post them here in case someone else has the same question. The info on the specifics of this challenge can be found in the next post……..

What are Mandatory Challenges? I didn't understand what this phrase meant.

THE CHALLENGES

2019 is a new year for all of us and many new things are happening for me.  I was promoted out of Inventory Control supervisor back in June and into a corporate-level position as a company process writer, trainer and auditor.  However, the transition out of my IC supervising position has just finally started taking place.  Up until now, I've been juggling Inventory Control with writing processes, which included traveling to our facilities in Newark, CA and Austin, TX.  Inspired by this new stage in my life, I decided to create a challenge based on characters (actors, filmmakers, directors, etc.) experiencing (or doing) something new.

REQUIRED CHALLENGES:

#1- Turning Over a New Leaf.  In this challenge, you must schedule a block of at least four films where a character goes through a change in his or her life.  An example of some changes could include: moving to a new town, buying a new car, becoming a first time parent, newlyweds, buying a new home, any sort of change in their lives.  Perhaps you want to get more serious and go issue based: losing virginity, being diagnosed with a terminal disease, any sort of change (good or bad) in the character's life.  All four films must feature the same type of "new" experience. 

An additional two premieres will be allowed for this challenge.  Note "LEAF-EXEMPT" next to these two premiere films. 

#2- New Programming Feature. In light of The Essentials seemingly going away, it is your chance to create a new weekly spotlight for TCM a la Noir Alley, Underground, Imports and Sunday Silent Nights.  At least one film needs to be selected for this spotlight.  Choose a Primetime timeslot (keeping in mind the time slots already set aside for Noir Alley, Underground, Imports and Silent Sunday Nights) and a host.  In keeping with the spirit of imagination for this challenge, you are able to choose ANYONE to host, living or dead.  If you've always wanted to see Groucho Marx host a weekly pre-code film spotlight, now is your chance. Come up with a title for your weekly feature.  If you opt to provide notes for the challenge, provide some upcoming titles and features for your series. 

The selected film for the showcase will be exempt from the premieres limit. Note "FEATURE-EXEMPT" next to this title. 

*If additional films are scheduled that relate to the featured film as part of a scheduling block, but are not part of the showcase, those will be subject to the regular premiere limit. 

#3- Thinking Outside of the Box.  In this challenge, you need to help an actor/actress/director/etc. try and step outside of his or her comfort zone.  You are not limited to performers if you've always wanted to see a director like Vincente Minnelli attempt Science Fiction (for example).   Would you like to see Cary Grant stop being "Cary Grant" for a second and perhaps try his hand at something like Harry Lime in The Third Man? Now is your chance to cast him in the film.  Your objective in this challenge is to select a performer (or director, costumer, etc.) who seemingly played it safe in their career (whether by their own doing or unfortunate typecasting).  Then cast that performer in parts that you would have liked to see them tackle.  You can be as serious or ridiculous as you want in this challenge.  You must schedule at least a block of four films.  The only requirement is that the films selected must chronologically make sense for that actor.  As much as we may have wanted to see Jean Harlow as Cher Horowitz in Clueless, while she could have *technically* appeared in the film, as she would have been 84, that just doesn't make any sense. 

You are allowed two exempt premieres for this challenge. Note "BOX-EXEMPT" next to these titles.

Good Luck Everyone!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

What are Mandatory Challenges? I didn't understand what this phrase meant.

I wasn't done posting yet.

Mandatory Challenges are the objectives that participants must meet when creating their programming schedules.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I wasn't done posting yet.

Mandatory Challenges are the objectives that participants must meet when creating their programming schedules.

Thanks for explaining. Is that where you limit the number of premieres?

It's been a long time since I've done one of these, and I'd forgotten some of the rules.

I might try one of these again...they're fun. A lot of work, but still fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for explaining. Is that where you limit the number of premieres?

It's been a long time since I've done one of these, and I'd forgotten some of the rules.

I might try one of these again...they're fun. A lot of work, but still fun.

I posted the premiere limit in the rules and also the Exempt premieres in the challenges.  All challengers are allowed to have up to 15 premieres + additional exempt premieres for the challenges, Underground, Silent Sunday Nights, TCM Import and Noir Alley.

• Thanks 1

I would like to see TopBilled and LawrenceA take this one on.

I also hope SpeedRacer5's hubby is okay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I would like to see TopBilled and LawrenceA take this one on.

I also hope SpeedRacer5's hubby is okay.

Yes he is fine, thank you. He ended up having to have his gall bladder removed. He’s all healed up in time for our vacation in a couple weeks! 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

My site has been moved since this the boilerplate copy above was last updated:
http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

This is an invaluable resource, for TCM Challenge Programmers, or for anyone who is interested in the history of what has aired (and how many times) on TCM  Thanks once again MovieCollectorOH!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #40: Turning Over a *New* Leaf

Do we post our schedules on this thread? 

51 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Do we post our schedules on this thread? 

Yes.  Completed schedules are posted here.

When it comes time for voting, I'll make a new thread by copying and pasting everyone's schedules and programming notes, so that they can be viewed in one place.

10 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yes.  Completed schedules are posted here.

When it comes time for voting, I'll make a new thread by copying and pasting everyone's schedules and programming notes, so that they can be viewed in one place.

Thanks. I've been working on mine and will probably post it here tonight or tomorrow morning, after I've proofread it.

Can I just put my programming notes at the end, or does that need to be a separate post?

51 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. I've been working on mine and will probably post it here tonight or tomorrow morning, after I've proofread it.

Can I just put my programming notes at the end, or does that need to be a separate post?

Either way I think would be fine.  Most people post their schedule and notes in separate posts back-to-back, but if you want to include them at the end, that would be fine as well.

• Thanks 1

PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #40

TOPBILLED'S SCHEDULE: 21st of July to 28th of July, 2019

SUNDAY 21ST OF JULY 2019

Daytime: Cooking 101

6:00 a.m. WHAT’S COOKIN'? (1942) Andrews Sisters, Jane Frazee, Robert Paige. Dir. Edward F. Cline. Universal. 69 mins. Premiere #1. 

7:15 a.m. MY KINGDOM FOR A COOK (1943) Charles Coburn, Marguerite Chapman, Bill Carter. Dir. Richard Wallace. Columbia. 81 mins. P/S

8:45 a.m. SABRINA (1954) Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, William Holden. Dir. Billy Wilder. Paramount. 113 mins. P/S

10:45 a.m. BURNT OFFERINGS (1976) Karen Black, Oliver Reed, Bette Davis. Dir. Dan Curtis. United Artists. 116 mins.

12:45 P.M. WHO IS KILLING THE GREAT CHEFS OF EUROPE? (1978) George Segal, Jacqueline Bisset, Robert Morley. Dir. Ted Kotcheff. Warner Brothers. 111 mins. Premiere #2.

2:45 p.m. JULIE & JULIA (2009) Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Stanley Tucci. Dir. Nora Ephron. Columbia. 123 mins. Premiere #3.

MENU (1933). Colortone Revue. Una Merkel, Franklin Pangborn, Luis Alberni. MGM. 10 min. P/S

5:00 p.m. LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE (1992). Marco Leonardi, Lumi Cavazos, Regina Torne. Miramax. 123 mins. Premiere #4.

CULINARY CARVING (1939). Pete Smith, Max O. Cullen, Sally Payne. Dir. Felix Feist. MGM. 10 min. P/S 

7:15 p.m. PENNY WISDOM (1937). Pete Smith, Prudence Penny, Harold Minjir. Dir. David Miller. MGM. 10 mins. P/S

PENNY’S PARTY (1938). Pete Smith, Prudence Penny, Gwen Lee. Dir. David Miller. MGM. 10 mins. P/S

PENNY’S PICNIC (1938). Pete Smith, Prudence Penny, Harry Tyler. Dir. Will Jason. MGM. 10 mins. P/S

PENNY TO THE RESCUE (1941). Pete Smith, Prudence Penny, Sally Payne. Dir. Will Jason. MGM. 10 mins. P/S

Primetime: Christmas in July

8:00 p.m. CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945) Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan, Sydney Greenstreet. Dir. Peter Godfrey. Warner Brothers. 102 mins. P/S

9:45 p.m. CHRISTMAS IN JULY (1940) Dick Powell, Ellen Drew, Raymond Walburn. Dir. Preston Sturges. Paramount. 67 mins. P/S

11:00 p.m. A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES: MERRY CHRISTMAS (2011) Margaret O'Brien, Chevy Chase, Karolyn Grimes. Dir. Laurent Bouzereau. TCM Special. 60 mins. P/S

TCM SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS

12:00 a.m. THE IMMIGRANT (1917) Charles Chaplin, Edna Purviance, Eric Campbell. Dir. Charles Chaplin. Mutual Film Corporation. 22 mins. P/S

12:30 a.m. CITY LIGHTS (1931) Charles Chaplin, Virginia Cherrill, Florence Lee. Dir. Charles Chaplin. UA. 87 mins. P/S

2:00 a.m. THE SILENCERS (1966) Dean Martin, Stella Stevens, Daliah Lavi. Dir. Phil Karlson. Columbia. 102 mins. P/S

4:00 a.m. THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991) Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins, Scott Glenn. Orion. 118 mins. P/S

MONDAY 22ND OF JULY 2019

Daytime: Bryan Forbes' Birthday & Terence Stamp's Birthday

6:00 a.m. SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1964) Kim Stanley, Richard Attenborough, Nanette Newman. Dir. Bryan Forbes. Rank Organisation. 115 mins. P/S

8:00 a.m. KING RAT (1965) George Segal, Tom Courtenay, James Fox. Dir. Bryan Forbes. Columbia. 134 mins. P/S

10:15 a.m. THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT (1969) Katharine Hepburn, Charles Boyer, Claude Dauphin. Dir. Bryan Forbes. Warner Brothers/Seven Arts. 132 mins. P/S

12:30 p.m. BILLY BUDD (1962) Robert Ryan, Peter Ustinov, Melvyn Douglas. Dir. Peter Ustinov. Allied Artists. 123 mins. P/S

2:45 p.m. TERM OF TRIAL (1962) Laurence Olivier, Simone Signoret, Sarah Miles. Dir. Peter Glenville. Warner Brothers. 130 mins. P/S

5:00 p.m. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD (1967) Julie Christie, Terence Stamp, Peter Finch. Dir. John Schlesinger. MGM. 169 mins. P/S

Primetime: Challenge #1- Turning Over a New Leaf. (Plastic Surgery: Physical & Psychological Changes)

8:00 p.m. A WOMAN'S FACE (1941) Joan Crawford, Melvyn Douglas, Conrad Veidt. Dir. George Cukor. MGM. 105 mins. P/S

10:00 p.m. DARK PASSAGE (1947) Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Bruce Bennett. Dir. Delmer Daves. Warner Brothers. 106 mins. P/S

12:00 a.m. SECONDS (1966) Rock Hudson, Salome Jens, John Randolph. Dir. John Frankenheimer. Paramount. 107 mins. P/S

TCM IMPORTS

2:00 a.m. EN KVINNAS ANSIKTE (1938) Ingrid Bergman, Tore Svennberg, Anders Henrikson. Svensk Filmindustri. 101 mins. P/S

3:45 p.m. ARCH OF TRIUMPH (1948) 125 mins. Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer, Charles Laughton. Dir. Lewis Milestone. UA. 133 mins. Premiere #5.

TUESDAY 23RD OF JULY 2019

Daytime: Gloria DeHaven's Birthday

6:00 a.m. STEP LIVELY (1944) Frank Sinatra, George Murphy, Adolphe Menjou. Dir. Tim Whelan. RKO. 88 mins. P/S

7:30 a.m. BROADWAY RHYTHM (1944) George Murphy, Ginny Simms, Charles Winninger. Dir. Roy Del Ruth. MGM. 115 mins. P/S

9:30 a.m. TWO GIRLS AND A SAILOR (1944) June Allyson, Gloria DeHaven, Van Johnson. Dir. Richard Thorpe. MGM. 124 mins. P/S

11:45 a.m. BETWEEN TWO WOMEN (1945) Van Johnson, Lionel Barrymore, Gloria DeHaven. Dir. Willis Goldbeck. MGM. 83 mins. P/S

1:15 p.m. SUMMER HOLIDAY (1948) Mickey Rooney, Gloria DeHaven, Walter Huston. Dir. Rouben Mamoulian. MGM. 93 mins. P/S

3:00 p.m. SCENE OF THE CRIME (1949) Van Johnson, Arlene Dahl, Gloria DeHaven. Dir. Roy Rowland. MGM. 95 mins. P/S

4:45 p.m. THE DOCTOR AND THE GIRL (1949) Glenn Ford, Charles Coburn, Gloria DeHaven. Dir. Curtis Bernhardt. MGM. 98 mins. P/S

6:30 p.m. THE YELLOW CAB MAN (1950) Red Skelton, Gloria DeHaven, Edward Arnold. Dir. Jack Donohue. MGM. 85 mins. P/S 

Primetime: The Same Name Game

8:00 p.m. CROSSFIRE (1947) Robert Young, Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan. Dir. Edward Dmytryk. RKO. 86 mins. P/S

9:30 p.m. CONSPIRATOR (1949) Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, Robert Flemyng. Dir. Victor Saville. MGM. 87 mins. P/S

11:00 p.m. BORN TO BE BAD (1950) Joan Fontaine, Robert Ryan, Zachary Scott. Dir. Nicholas Ray. RKO. 94 mins. P/S

12:45 a.m. COLT .45 (1950) Randolph Scott, Ruth Roman, Zachary Scott. Dir. Edwin L. Marin. Warner Brothers. 74 mins. P/S

2:00 a.m. TEA AND SYMPATHY (1956) Deborah Kerr, John Kerr, Leif Erickson. Dir. Vincente Minnelli. MGM. 122 mins. P/S

4:15 a.m. THE MATCHMAKER (1958) Shirley Booth, Anthony Perkins, Shirley MacLaine. Dir. Joseph Anthony. Paramount. 101 mins. P/S

WEDNESDAY 24TH OF JULY 2019

Daytime: Female Flyers (Amelia Earhart's Birthday)

6:00 a.m. CHRISTOPHER STRONG (1933) Katharine Hepburn, Colin Clive, Billie Burke. Dir. Dorothy Arzner. RKO. 78 mins. P/S

7:30 a.m. BRIGHT EYES (1934) Shirley Temple, James Dunn, Lois Wilson. Dir. David Butler. 20th Century Fox. 83 mins. P/S

9:00 a.m. WOMEN IN THE WIND (1939) Kay Francis, William Gargan, Eve Arden. Dir. John Farrow. Warner Brothers. 65 mins. P/S

10:15 a.m. TAIL SPIN (1939) Alice Faye, Constance Bennett, Nancy Kelly. Dir. Roy Del Ruth. 20th Century Fox. 84 mins. P/S

11:45 a.m. WINGS AND THE WOMAN (1942) Anna Neagle, Robert Newton, Edward Chapman. Dir. Herbert Wilcox. RKO. 103 mins. P/S

1:30 p.m. FLIGHT FOR FREEDOM (1943) Rosalind Russell, Fred MacMurray, Herbert Marshall. Dir. Lothar Mendes. RKO. 102 mins. Premiere #6.

3:15 p.m. LADIES COURAGEOUS (1944) Loretta Young, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Diana Barrymore. Dir. John Rawlins. Universal. 88 mins. Premiere #7.

4:45 p.m. UP GOES MAISIE (1946) Ann Sothern, George Murphy, Hillary Brooke. Dir. Harry Beaumont. MGM. 89 mins. P/S

6:15 p.m. JULIE (1956) Doris Day, Louis Jourdan, Barry Sullivan. Dir. Andrew L. Stone. MGM. 99 mins. P/S

Primetime: Challenge #2- New Programming Feature. Classic TV Movies (Starring Elizabeth Montgomery).

8:00 p.m. THE LEGEND OF LIZZIE BORDEN (1975) Elizabeth Montgomery, Fionnula Flanagan, Ed Flanders. Dir. Paul Wendkos. Paramount. 96 mins. Premiere: Feature-Exempt.

9:45 p.m. BELLE STARR (1980) Elizabeth Montgomery, Cliff Potts, Michael Cavanaugh. Dir. John A. Alonzo. Warner Home Video. 97 mins. Premiere: Feature-Exempt.

11:30 p.m. AMOS (1985) Kirk Douglas, Elizabeth Montgomery, Dorothy McGuire. Dir. Michael Tuchner. Bryna Productions. 100 mins. Premiere: Feature-Exempt.

1:15 a.m. BLACK WIDOW MURDERS: THE BLANCHE TAYLOR MOORE STORY (1993) Elizabeth Montgomery, David Clennon, John M. Jackson. Dir. Alan Metzger. 92 mins. Premiere: Feature-Exempt.

3:00 a.m. THE SINS OF THE CHILDREN (1930) Louis Mann, Robert Montgomery, Elliott Nugent. Dir. Sam Wood. MGM. 95 mins. P/S

4:45 a.m. THE EASIEST WAY (1931) Constance Bennett, Adolphe Menjou, Robert Montgomery. Dir. Jack Conway. MGM. 73 mins. P/S

THURSDAY 25TH OF JULY 2019

Daytime: Walter Brennan's Birthday

6:00 a.m. MOTHER CAREY'S CHICKENS (1938) Anne Shirley, Ruby Keeler, James Ellison. Dir. Rowland V. Lee. RKO. 82 mins. P/S

7:30 a.m. THE STORY OF VERNON AND IRENE CASTLE (1939) Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Edna May Oliver. Dir. H.C. Potter. RKO. 93 mins. P/S

9:15 a.m. JOE AND ETHEL TURP CALL ON THE PRESIDENT (1939) Ann Sothern, Lewis Stone, Walter Brennan. Dir. Robert B. Sinclair. MGM. 70 mins. P/S

10:30 a.m. NORTHWEST PASSAGE (1940) Spencer Tracy, Robert Young, Walter Brennan. Dir. King Vidor. MGM. 125 mins. P/S

12:45 p.m. SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS (1943) Lana Turner, Robert Young, Walter Brennan. Dir. Wesley Ruggles. MGM. 94 mins. P/S

2:30 p.m. A STOLEN LIFE (1946) Bette Davis, Glenn Ford, Dane Clark. Dir. Curtis Bernhardt. Warner Brothers. 109 mins. P/S

4:30 p.m. BLOOD ON THE MOON (1948) Robert Mitchum, Barbara Bel Geddes, Robert Preston. Dir. by Robert Wise. RKO. 88 mins. P/S

6:00 p.m. TASK FORCE (1949) Gary Cooper, Jane Wyatt, Wayne Morris. Dir. Delmer Daves. Warner Brothers. 116 mins. P/S

Primetime: Star of the Month Joan Collins (Joan Collins in the 70s)

8:00 p.m. THE DEVIL WITHIN HER (1975) Joan Collins, Ralph Bates, Eileen Atkins. Dir. Peter Sasdy. Rank Organisation. 95 mins. P/S

9:45 p.m. EMPIRE OF THE ANTS (1977) Joan Collins, Robert Lansing, John Carson. Dir. Bert I. Gordon. American International Pictures. 89 mins. P/S

11: 30 p.m. THE BIG SLEEP (1978) Robert Mitchum, Sarah Miles, Richard Boone. Dir. Michael Winner. United Artists. 99 mins. Premiere #8.

1:15 a.m. THE STUD (1978) Joan Collins, Oliver Tobias, Sue Lloyd. Dir. Quentin Masters. Brent Walker Film Distributing. 95 mins. Premiere #9.

3:00 a.m. THE B*TCH (1979) Joan Collins, Michael Coby, Kenneth Haigh. Dir. Gerry O’Hara. Thorn EMI. 94 mins. Premiere #10.

4:45 a.m. REVENGE (1971) Joan Collins, James Booth, Tom Marshall. Dir. Sidney Hayers. J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors. 89 mins. Premiere #11.

FRIDAY 26TH OF JULY 2019

Daytime: Aldous Huxley's Birthday & Stanley Kubrick's Birthday

6:15 a.m. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (1940) Greer Garson, Laurence Olivier, Mary Boland. Dir. Robert Z. Leonard. MGM. 117 mins. P/S

8:15 a.m. MADAME CURIE (1943) Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon, Henry Travers. Dir. Mervyn LeRoy. MGM. 124 mins. P/S

10:30 a.m. THE KILLING (1956). Sterling Hayden, Coleen Gray, Vince Edwards. Dir. Stanley Kubrick. UA. 85 mins. P/S

12:00 p.m. PATHS OF GLORY (1957) Kirk Douglas, Ralph Meeker, Adolphe Menjou. Dir. Stanley Kubrick. UA. 88 mins. P/S

1:30 p.m. LOLITA (1962) James Mason, Shelley Winters, Sue Lyon. Dir. Stanley Kubrick. MGM. 152 mins. P/S

4:15 p.m. DR. STRANGELOVE (1964) Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden. Dir. Stanley Kubrick. Columbia. 94 mins. P/S

6:00 p.m. FULL METAL JACKET (1987) Matthew Modine, Adam Baldwin, Vincent D'Onofrio. Dir. Stanley Kubrick. Warner Brothers. 116 mins. Premiere #12.

Primetime: Spotlight: Shakespearean Adaptations (Adapted by Kenneth Branagh)

8:00 p.m. HENRY V (1989) Kenneth Branagh, Paul Scofield, Derek Jacobi. Dir. Kenneth Branagh. The Samuel Goldwyn Company. 137 mins. P/S

10:30 p.m. MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING (1993) Kenneth Branagh, Michael Keaton, Robert Sean Leonard. Dir. Kenneth Branagh. The Samuel Goldwyn Company. 110 mins. P/S

12:30 a.m. LOVE'S LABOUR'S LOST (2000) Kenneth Branagh, Nathan Lane, Adrian Lester. Dir. Kenneth Branagh. Miramax Films. 93 mins. Premiere #13.

2:15 a.m. AS YOU LIKE IT (2006) Ramola Garai, Bryce Dallas Howard, Kevin Kline. Dir. Kenneth Branagh. HBO Films. 127 mins. Premiere #14.

4:30 a.m. ALL IS TRUE (2018) Kenneth Branagh, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen. Dir. Kenneth Branagh. Sony Pictures Classics. 101 mins. Premiere #15.

SATURDAY 27TH OF JULY 2019

Daytime: Costars were later married

6:15 a.m. HIS BROTHER'S WIFE (1936) Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Taylor, Jean Hersholt. Dir. W.S. Van Dyke. MGM. 88 mins. P/S

7:45 a.m. BROTHER RAT (1938) Priscilla Lane, Wayne Morris, Johnnie Davis. Dir. William Keighley. Warner Brothers. 89 mins. P/S

9:15 a.m. SUEZ (1938) Tyrone Power, Loretta Young, Annabella. Dir. Allan Dwan. 20th Century Fox. 104 mins. P/S

11:00 a.m. TOO MANY GIRLS (1940) Lucille Ball, Richard Carlson, Ann Miller. Dir. George Abbott. RKO. 85 mins. P/S

12:30 p.m. RINGSIDE MAISIE (1941) Ann Sothern, George Murphy, Robert Sterling. Dir. Edwin L. Marin. MGM. 95 mins.  P/S

2:15 p.m. MRS. MINIVER (1942) Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon, Teresa Wright. Dir. William Wyler. MGM. 133 mins. P/S

4:30 p.m. WOMAN IN HIDING (1950) Ida Lupino, Stephen McNally, Howard Duff. Dir. Michael Gordon. Universal. 92 mins. P/S

6:15 p.m. DANGEROUS WHEN WET (1953) Esther Williams, Fernando Lamas, Jack Carson. Dir. Charles Walters. MGM. 95 mins. P/S

Primetime: Challenge #3 - Thinking Outside the Box. Joan Crawford Directed by Alfred Hitchcock (How These Films Might Have Been!)

8:00 p.m. MILDRED PIERCE (1945) Joan Crawford, Jack Carson, Zachary Scott. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. Warner Brothers. 111 mins. P/S

10:00 p.m. POSSESSED (1947) Joan Crawford, Van Heflin, Raymond Massey. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. Warner Brothers. 108 mins. P/S

NOIR ALLEY

12:00 a.m. SUDDEN FEAR (1952) Joan Crawford, Jack Palance, Gloria Grahame. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. RKO. 110 mins. P/S

TCM UNDERGROUND

2:00 a.m. STRAIT-JACKET (1964) Joan Crawford, Diane Baker, Leif Erickson. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. Columbia. 93 mins. P/S

3:45 a.m. I SAW WHAT YOU DID (1965) Joan Crawford, John Ireland, Leif Erickson. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. Universal. 82 mins. P/S

5:15 a.m. BERSERK! (1967) Joan Crawford, Ty Hardin, Diana Dors. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. Columbia. 96 mins.

• Like 3

TopBilled's Program Notes for Schedule for 21st of July, 2019 to 28th of July, 2019

Sunday

I wanted the cooking-related films to be wide-ranging, covering as many different decades as possible. BURNT OFFERINGS was added in humorously. I also considered HELL'S KITCHEN (1939). I sprinkled in a bunch of Pete Smith Specialties on cooking, since these don't air enough. I think the result is quite delicious.

CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT leads off the primetime theme, and there's a lot of cooking in it.

Monday

I'm a fan of Bryan Forbes. It was tough to limit it to just three of his films, so I could also honor Terence Stamp.

Re: the New Leaf challenge...I wanted ones that all had something in common (plastic surgery) and how the change was inside as well as outside. When you go through a major change in life, you are usually affected psychologically AND physically.

My TCM import is the original version of A WOMAN'S FACE.

Tuesday

Who doesn't love Gloria DeHaven? I wanted films where she had significant roles, but also where we could see her career evolve in the 40s and early 50s.

The Same Name Game. Some of those films have lead actors with the same first name, and some have lead actors with the same last name. For example, in BORN TO BE BAD, there are two Joans (Fontaine & Leslie).

Wednesday

I loved the daytime theme. I wanted films where the gals were up in the air, as a tribute to Amelia Earhart on her birthday. The gals didn't have to be aviators, they could be airline attendants or in Shirley Temple's case, just a passenger! The Loretta Young picture is a good morale booster and should be better known.

For my New Programming Feature, I wanted to focus on excellent TV movies. Ideally each week would showcase titles with a well known star. I went with Liz Montgomery, since her work is so good and needs to be seen. I picked ones where she played villains-- she was on a mission to shed the Bewitched image and overcome typecasting. She succeeded. The one where she costars with Kirk Douglas deserves a TCM airing. It's fantastic.

I followed this up with two films her father made at MGM. Linking a TV star with an earlier generation Hollywood movie star.

Thursday

Walter Brennan made films in all genres. I wanted my choices to reflect that. 

My Star of the Month is Alexis Colby, I mean Joan Collins. Since this is the last week in July, we'd be going over films she made in the 70s, before Dynasty. Earlier weeks would cover the hit films she did in the 50s and 60s. 

Friday

Aldous Huxley wrote a few screenplays for MGM. For Stanley Kubrick's birthday, I wanted to include at least one premiere.

My Friday Night Spotlight is on Shakespearean Adaptations. Earlier weeks in July would feature Shakespearean-themed films by Laurence Olivier, Orson Welles and Franco Zefferelli. The last week of July is Kenneth Branagh's turn. This allowed me to get some classics from the late 20th century and early 21st Century on to the schedule.

Saturday

Each daytime movie features two people who were married after appearing in said film together. See if you can guess who they are, for each one of the titles I selected.

Re: Outside the Box. I wanted my idea to work for Primetime, Noir Alley AND for TCM Underground. So it just continues from primetime into the early morning hours.

As you can see, I had 15 premieres. For these selections, I wanted films that came from Universal or Paramount, and films made by independent production companies.

The main reason I did the Programming Challenge this year is because I wanted to see how creative I could be, and to self-reflect on how much I've grown and learned about classic film. I never would have been able to make a schedule like this a few years ago. But the more films you watch, the more ideas you get. Like, hey this film would be great to watch with that film. Etc.

I hope my schedule seems fun and appeals to a diverse cross-section of classic film fans. I look forward to reading the schedules others will be posting. Thanks!

• Like 4

I am so excited about this challenge! My brain is already ticking! I gotta say I think #2 is so outside-the-box brilliant I wish I thought of proposing that challenge myself.

And right off the bat a fantastic schedule from TB! Great ideas, clever themes, love the TV movie idea (could we schedule EVENING PRIMROSE?) :) ! I really really really want to see that movie you scheduled -- WHO IS KILLING THE GREAT CHEFS OF EUROPE? -- never heard of it, looked it up, and it looks like just my type of film. Love it!

• Like 1

Talk about starting off the bar high! It's no wonder I get tempted to try one of these challenges. And then I channel my inner Garth and declare "I'm not worthy!". 😀

Would love for the concept of a weekly spotlight on classic television movies to be a reality, TB. I could easily spend an evening with Andy "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Mayberry anymore" Griffith: The Strangers in 7A (1972), Pray for the Wildcats (1974) and Savages (1974).

• Like 2

QUestion about the last challenge -- do we have to obey the laws of time and space in terms of when the exact movie came out, or can we imagine adaptations of books that existed even in the film didn't? Like, could I schedule OEDIPUS THE KING (1968) as a vehicle for Cary Grant as a pretext that it would have been an adaptation from the 1940s when he was young?

9 hours ago, LonesomePolecat said:

QUestion about the last challenge -- do we have to obey the laws of time and space in terms of when the exact movie came out, or can we imagine adaptations of books that existed even in the film didn't? Like, could I schedule OEDIPUS THE KING (1968) as a vehicle for Cary Grant as a pretext that it would have been an adaptation from the 1940s when he was young?

Yes, I believe that that would be fine.  If the source material existed, I don't think there would be an issue.

• Thanks 1

Premieres:
1. The Mirror Crack'd (1980)
2. Madame Sousatzka (1988) 
3. Mr. and Mrs. Bridge (1990)
4. All the Way Home (1963)
5. Zelly and Me (1988)
6. Claudia (1943)
7. Mary Poppins (1964)
8. The Constant Husband (1955)
9. Postcards from the Edge (1990)
10. Torch Singer (1933) 
11. Red Garters (1954)
12. At Long Last Love (1975)
13. Isadora (1968)
14. Puzzle of a Downfall Child (1970)
15. Mikey and Nicky (1976)

Exempt Premieres:
1. House of Strangers (1949)
2. The Shrike (1955)
3. Female on the Beach (1955)
4. For Better For Worse (1919)
5. Are Parents People? (1925)
6. Lady Oscar (1979)
7. The Pied Piper (1972)
8. An American Rhapsody (2001)
9. Whisle Down the Wind (1961)
10. Clue (1985)
11. Handle with Care (1977)
12.  One Desire (1955)
13. Hot Spell (1958)
14. The 13th Letter (1951)

Sunday May 17,2020
Kim Novak Double Feature
6 AM The Eddy Duchin Story (1956) Tyrone Power & Kim Novak D: George Sidney Columbia 123 min. P/s
8:15 AM The Mirror Crack'd (1980) Elizabeth Taylor & Angela Lansbury D: Guy Hamilton AFD 105 min.  Premiere #1

Noir Alley #1
10 AM House of Strangers (1949) Edward G Robinson & Susan Hayward D: Joseph L. Mankiewicz Fox 101 min Noir-Exempt Premiere #1

Outside the Box: Eve Arden as a Dramatic Lead
12 PM Come Back Little Sheba (1952) Shirley Booth & Burt Lancaster D: Daniel Mann Paramount 99 min. P/S
1:45 PM The Shrike (1955) June Allyson & Jose Ferrer D: Jose Ferrer UI 88 min Box-Except Premiere #1
3:15 PM Female on the Beach (1955) Joan Crawford & Jeff Chandler D: Joseph Pevney UI Box-Except Premiere #2
5 PM Sorry Wrong Number (1948) Barbara Stanwyck & Burt Lancaster D: Anatole Litvak Paramount 89 min P/s
6:30 PM The Macomber Affair (1947) Gregory Peck & Joan Bennett D: Zoltan Korda UA 89 min P/s

Nuns' Stories
8 PM The Trouble with Angels (1966) Rosalind Russell & Hayley Mills D: Ida Lupino Columbia 112 min P/s
10 PM Dead Man Walking (1995) Susan Sarandon & Sean Penn D: Tim Robbins PolyGram 122 min P/s

Silent Sunday: Paramount Silents
12:15 AM For Better For Worse (1919) Gloria Swanson & Elliott Dexter D: Cecil B DeMille Paramount 72 min Silent-Exempt Premiere #1
1:30 AM Are Parents People? (1925) Betty Compson & Florence Vidor  D: Malcolm St. Clair Paramount 63 min. Silent-Exempt Premiere #2

TCM Imports: Lesser-Known Demy
2:45 AM Lady Oscar (1979) Catriona MacColl & Barry Stokes  D: Jacques Demy Toho 124 min Imports-Exempt Premiere #1
5 AM The Pied Piper (1972) Donovan & Jack Wild D: Jacques Demy Paramount 90 min Imports-Exempt Premiere #2

Monday May 18, 2020
Written by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
6:30 AM Howards End (1992) Emma Thompson & Anthony Hopkins D: James Ivory SPC 140 min p/s
9 AM Madame Sousatzka (1988) Shirley MacLaine & Navin Chowdhry D: John Schlesinger Universal/Cineplex Odeon 124 min Premiere #2
11:15 AM Mr. and Mrs. Bridge (1990) Joanne Woodward & Paul Newman D: James Ivory Miramax/Cineplex Odeon 124 min. Premiere #3
1:30 PM Roseland (1977) Geraldine Chaplin & Lilia Scala D: James Ivory Merchant Ivory 103 min p/s
3:15 PM The Europeans (1979) Lee Remick & Lisa Eichorn D: James Ivory Merchant/Ivory p/s

Clara Bow Double Feature
4:45 PM It (1927) Clara Bow & Antonio Moreno D: Clarence Badger Paramount 72 min (p/s)
6:00 PM Call Her Savage (1933) Clara Bow & Gilbert Roland D: John Francis Dillon Fox 88 min p/s

7:30 PM MGM Parade 28 min.

Guest Programmer: Dame Marjorie (Maude) Chardin from Harold and Maude
8 PM The Landlord (1970) Beau Bridges & Diana Sands D: Hal Ashby UA 113 min p/s
10 PM A New Leaf (1971) Walter Matthau & Elaine May D: Elaine May Paramount 102 min p/s
11:45 PM Dishonored (1931) Marlene Dietrich & Victor McLachlan D: Josef von Sternberg Paramount 91 min p/s
1:30 AM The Miracle Woman (1931) Barbara Stanwyck & David Manners D: Frank Capra Columbia 90 min p/s
3:15 AM Love Me Tonight (1932) Maurice Chevalier & Jeanette McDonald D: Rouben Mamoulian Paramount 96 min (p/s)
5 AM Cluny Brown (1946) Jennifer Jones & Charles Boyer D: Ernst Lubitsch Fox 100 min (p/s)

Tuesday, May 19,2020
Turner Library Stars at Paramount
6:45 AM The Light That Failed (1939) Ronald Colman & Ida Lupino D: William Wellman Paramount 97 min p/s
8:30 AM The Pleasure of His Company (1961) Fred Astaire & Debbie Reynolds D: George Seaton Paramount 115 min (p/s)
10:30 AM The Rat Race (1960) Tony Curtis & Debbie Reynolds D: Robert Mulligan Paramount 105 min p/s
12:15 PM Love with the Proper Stranger (1963) Natalie Wood & Steve McQueen D: Robert Mulligan Paramount 100 min (p/s)
2 PM Lucy Gallant (1955) Jane Wyman & Charlton Heston D: Robert Parrish Paramount 104 min (p/s)
3:45 PM All the Way Home (1963) Jean Simmons & Robert Preston D: Alex Segal Paramount 97 min Premiere #4
5:30 PM Death on the Nile (1978) Peter Ustinov & Bette Davis D: John Guillerman Paramount/EMI 140 min p/s

Star of the Month: Glynis Johns
8 PM 49th Parallel (1941) Anton Walbrook & Eric Portman D: Michael Powell Columbia 123 min p/s
10:15 PM Dear Brigitte (1965) James Stewart & Bill Mumy D: Henry Koster Fox 100 min p/s
12 AM Shake Hands with the Devil (1959) Don Murray & James Cagney D: Michael Anderson UA 110 min p/s
2 AM Zelly and Me (1988) Isabella Rossellini & Glynis Johns D: Tina Rathbone Columbia 88 min Premiere #5
3:30 AM Mad About Men (1954) Glynis Johns & Margaret Rutherford D: Ralph Thomas Rank 90 min p/s
5 AM The Magic Box (1951) Robert Donat & Maria Schell D: John Boulting Rank 103 min p/s

Wednesday May 20, 2020
With Dorothy McGuire
6:45 AM Gentleman's Agreement (1947) Gregory Peck & Dorothy McGuire D: Elia Kazan Fox 118 min p/s
8:45 AM Claudia (1943) Dorothy McGuire & Robert Young D: Edmund Goulding Fox 91 min Premiere #6
10:30 AM Three Coins in the Fountain (1954) Maggie McNamara & Dorothy McGuire D: Jean Negulesco Fox 102 min p/s

With Tyrone Power
12:15 PM Lloyds of London (1936) Tyrone Power & Freddie Bartholomew D: Henry King Fox 115 min p/s
2:15 PM Suez (1938) Tyrone Power & Loretta Young D: Allan Dwan Fox 104 min p/s
4 PM In Old Chicago (1937) Tyrone Power & Alice Faye D: Henry King Fox 95 min p/s
5:45 PM The Sun Also Rises (1957) Tyrone Power & Ava Gardner D: Henry King Fox 129 min p/s

Treasures from the Disney Vault: 60s Flashback
8 PM The Love Bug (1969) Dean Jones & Michelle Lee D: Robert Stevenson Disney 107 min p/s
10 PM Mary Poppins (1964) Julie Andrews & Dick Van Dyke D: Robert Stevenson Disney 139 min Premiere #7
12:30 AM Pollyanna (1960) Hayley Mills & Jane Wyman D: David Swift Disney 134 min p/s
2:45 AM In Search of the Castaways (1962) Hayley Mills & Maurice Chevalier D: Robert Stevenson Disney 100 min p/s
4:30 AM The Moon-Spinners (1964) Hayley Mills & Pola Negri D: James Neilson Disney 118 min p/s

Thursday, May 21, 2020
Gene Tierney, Robert Osborne's Favorite Star
6:30 AM Heaven Can Wait (1943) Don Ameche & Gene Tierney D: Ernst Lubitsch Fox 112 min p/s
8:30 AM Black Widow (1954) Van Heflin & Gene Tierney D: Nunnally Johnson Fox 95 min p/s
10:15 AM The Iron Curtain (1948) Dana Andrews & Gene Tierney D: William Wellman Fox 87 min p/s
11:45 AM Laura (1944) Dana Andrews & Gene Tierney D: Otto Preminger Fox 85 min p/s
1:15 PM Leave Her to Heaven (1945) Gene Tierney & Cornel Wilde D: John M. Stahl Fox 110 min. P/s
3:15 PM The Mating Season (1951) Thelma Ritter & Gene Tierney D: Mitchell Leisen Paramount 101 min. p/s

Kay Kendall Double Feature
5:00 PM The Constant Husband (1955) Rex Harrison & Kay Kendall D: Sidney Gilliat Rank 88 min Premiere #8
6:30 PM Genevieve (1953) Dinah Sheridan & John Gregson D: Henry Cornelius Rank 86 min. P/s

TCM Spotlight: Behind the Glitz
8 PM Sunset Boulevard (1950) Gloria Swanson & William Holden D: Billy Wilder Paramount 110 min p/s
10 PM Postcards from the Edge (1990) Meryl Streep & Shirley MacLaine D: Mike Nichols Columbia 101 min Premiere #9
11:45 PM Make Me a Star (1932) Stuart Erwin & Joan Blondell D: William Beaudine Paramount 86 min p/s
1:15 AM The Carpetbaggers (1964) Carroll Baker & Alan Ladd D: Edward Dmytryk Paramount 150 min p/s
4 AM The Big Knife (1955) Ida Lupino & Jack Palance D: Robert Aldrich UA 111 min. P/s

Friday, May 22, 2020
New Leaf: Coming-of-Age
6 AM Harold and Maude (1971) Bud Cort & Ruth Gordon D: Hal Ashby Paramount 91 min p/s
7:45 AM My Brilliant Career (1979) Judy Davis & Sam Neill D: Gillian Armstrong Janus 101 min p/s
9:30 AM Stolen Kisses (1968) Jean-Pierre Leaud & Delphine Seyrig D: Francois Truffaut Janus 87 min p/s
11 AM Metropolitan (1990) Edward Clements & Carolyn Farina D: Whit Stillman New Line Cinema 98 min p/s
12:45 PM An American Rhapsody (2001) Scarlett Johansson & Nastassja Kinski D: Eva Gardos Paramount Classics 106 min Leaf-Exempt Premiere #1
2:45 PM Whistle Down the Wind (1961) Hayley Mills & Alan Bates D: Bryan Forbes Rank 98 min Leaf-Exempt Premiere #2

Jennifer Jones Double Feature
4:30 PM Love is a Many-Splendored Thing (1955) Jennifer Jones & William Holden D: Henry King  Fox 102 min p/s
6:15 PM Love Letters (1945) Joseph Cotten & Jennifer Jones D: William Dieterle Paramount 101 min p/s

Colbert at Paramount
8 PM The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) Maurice Chevalier & Claudette Colbert D: Ernst Lubitsch Paramount 88 min p/s
9:30 PM Skylark (1941) Claudette Colbert & Ray Milland D: Mark Sandrich Paramount 94 min. P/s
11:15 PM Torch Singer (1933) Claudette Colbert & Ricardo Cortez D: Alexander Hall, George Somes Paramount 71 min Premiere #10
12:30 AM Midnight (1939) Claudette Colbert & Don Ameche D: Mitchell Leisen Paramount 94 min. P/s

TCM Underground: Cult Comedies
2:15 AM Clue (1985) Tim Curry & Lesley Ann Warren D: Jonathan Lynn Paramount 96 min Underground-Exempt Premiere #1
4 AM Handle with Care (1977) Paul Le Mat & Candy Clark D: Jonathan Demme Paramount 98 min Underground-Exempt Premiere #2

5:30 AM MGM Parade 28 min.

Saturday, May 23, 2020
New Block: Saturday Premieres (A New Feature: 14 straight hours of films making their TCM debuts)
6 AM One Desire (1955) Rock Hudson & Yvonne De Carlo D: Jerry Hopper UI 94 min. Leaf-Exempt premiere #1
7:45 AM Hot Spell (1958) Shirley Booth & Anthony Quinn D: Daniel Mann Paramount 86 min Leaf-Exempt premiere #2
9:15 AM Red Garters (1954) Rosemary Clooney & Jack Carson D: George Marshall Paramount 91 min. Premiere #11
11 AM At Long Last Love (1975) Burt Reynolds & Cybill Shepherd D: Peter Bogdonovich Fox 118 min Premiere #12
1 PM Isadora (1968) Vanessa Redgrave & Jason Robards D: Karel Reitz Universal 168 min Premiere #13
4 PM Puzzle of a Downfall Child (1970) Faye Dunaway & Barry Primus D: Jerry Schatzberg Universal 105 min Premiere #14
6 PM Mikey and Nicky (1976) Peter Falk & John Cassavetes D: Elaine May Paramount 106 min Premiere #15

Marx Brothers
8 PM Duck Soup (1933) Marx Brothers & Margaret Dumont Paramount 70 min p/s
9:15 PM Horse Feathers (1932) Marx Brothers & Thelma Todd D: Norman Z. McLeod Paramount 68 min p/s
10:30 PM Monkey Business (1931) Marx Brothers & Thelma Todd D: Norman Z. McLeod Paramount 77 min p/s

Noir Alley #2
12 AM The 13th Letter (1951) Linda Darnell & Charles Boyer D: Otto Preminger Fox 85 min Noir-Exempt Premiere #2

Three with Shirley Temple

1:30 AM Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (1938) Shirley Temple & Randolph Scott D: Allan Dwan Fox 80 min p/s
3 AM Stowaway (1936) Shirley Temple & Robert Young D: William Seiter Fox 87 min p/s
4:30 AM Curly Top (1935) Shirley Temple & John Boles D: Irving Cummings Fox 75 min p/s
  • Like 4

Quick programming notes.

I wanted a week less ordinary. So with that in mind, and with the recent fears that only WB owned titles will be shown on TCM in the future, I drafted this schedule without a single WB/Turner library title on it! Also, I wanted to put in as many premieres as possible, so I used every single slot I could for a premiere, thus there are 29 on the schedule.

I wanted to include all the special things: Disney vault with an accent on well crafted 60s titles, Fox noirs for Noir Alley, a newly minted SOTM who is almost chameleon like in her range and her abilty to steal scenes, new discoveries for Imports and Silent Sunday, focuses on several delightful actresses, a colorful GP with a love for Pre-theCodes and films that thrive on eccentricity, some strong coming of age films,  look at Hollywood dramas, etc.

It's all pretty straightforward, but I hope you enjoy it!

• Like 4