Sign in to follow this  
rayban

"The Happy Prince"

17 posts in this topic

Has anybody seen this film?

It's about Oscar Wilde.

It stars Rupert Everett and was directed by him.

My neigborhood movie house has yet to show it.

31706643_1798921403747687_39710841085613

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen it, but am really looking forward to it. It's my understanding that it's based on the post-prison years in exile. Do you know if that's true?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DougieB said:

I haven't seen it, but am really looking forward to it. It's my understanding that it's based on the post-prison years in exile. Do you know if that's true?

Yes, it is true.

I just found out - it is available On Demand for $5.99.

MV5BODVjZThlMzMtZjQwNy00YjRlLWE5ZTMtMWVl

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rupert Everett and Charlie Rowe in "The Judas Kiss", which was a touring production and must've been the motivation for the film - 

the-judas-kiss.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally saw it On Demand.

It is a heartbreaking film about the sordid decline of a great talent.

And it gets a magnificent performance from Rupert Everett.

It deserves an Oscar nomination.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rayban said:

I finally saw it On Demand.

It is a heartbreaking film about the sordid decline of a great talent.

And it gets a magnificent performance from Rupert Everett.

It deserves an Oscar nomination.

Maybe it's time for another one of your great reviews, Ray...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's such a sad film - there's a devastating sequence in which Oscar Wilde is waiting to be transported to jail and the general public is passing by and spitting on him - it deserves to be seen without any preconceived notions - it is just so, in general, "annihilating".

It's an unforgettable study in depravity and hopelessness.

What do you do - when you've lost everything?

 the-happy-prince.jpg  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This doesn't look like the same Rupert Everett who was in MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING and THE NEXT BEST THING. His appearance has changed in twenty years. I didn't even recognize him!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This doesn't look like the same Rupert Everett who was in MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING and THE NEXT BEST THING. His appearance has changed in twenty years. I didn't even recognize him!

No, he has gotten older.

But he is made up to look older, too.

He is heavier, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rayban said:

No, he has gotten older.

But he is made up to look older, too.

He is heavier, I think.

Yes, I guess he's become a character actor now and isn't worried about staying in shape.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This doesn't look like the same Rupert Everett who was in MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING and THE NEXT BEST THING. His appearance has changed in twenty years. I didn't even recognize him!

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some facial prosthetics involved, as well as the makeup rayban mentioned. His gayness could certainly have worked against him in his career, so it's great to see that he's found such a great match in a role. Hugh Grant is also getting his second wind career-wise and both seem to be embracing their age rather than resisting it. That's what real actors do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DougieB said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some facial prosthetics involved, as well as the makeup rayban mentioned. His gayness could certainly have worked against him in his career, so it's great to see that he's found such a great match in a role. Hugh Grant is also getting his second wind career-wise and both seem to be embracing their age rather than resisting it. That's what real actors do.

I think we're kind of dancing around the fact that Everett seems to have lost his boyish looks. The weight gain seems to be part of it. Some men start to look older but still manage to retain their original boyish quality. Gregory Peck is an example. 

Everett looks like a completely different person now. The reunion photo Ray posted of the cast of MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING is Everett presumably "being himself" and he certainly doesn't look much like he did 20 years ago. I'm shocked at how much he's changed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a brave performance - because he allows himself to look old, heavy, drunken and debauched.

Any glitz or glamour that Oscar Wilde had - or even Rupert Everett - is gone.

At this point in Oscar Wilde's life, any hope for salvation or redemption is gone.

Rupert Everett goes there.

Unashamedly.

Dal_12_Aprile_Happy_Prince_al_cinema_209

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us