Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook : 1937

12 posts in this topic

A day late, but here we go. 1937 awaits!

January started with Charlie Chan at the Opera, with Warner Oland continuing to be on mystery patrol.

charlie-chan-a-l-opera_6740_40656.jpg

This was released on the same day as an Elizabeth Bergner/Laurence Olivier version of Shakespere's timeless comedy As You Like It.

as-you-like-it-2.png

Another pair followed a week later. Secret Valley, a B Western-gangster film with Richard Arlen and Virginia Grey...

MV5BZTYwMjEyMjEtNDVkNi00N2RhLWIwZDItOGE1

And Crack-Up, another B involving Peter Lorre as a spy (also with Brian Donlevy)

MV5BMjM2MTU3MTIxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTk2

Crime surfaced again with yet another B, Woman-Wise with Rochelle Hudson.

Woman-Wise-original-1937-lobby-card-11x1

February opened with a Jane Withers saga with a bracing title, The Holy Terror

61r2o81XgTL.jpg

Followed by an enjoyable musical, On the Avenue with Dick Powell, Madeleine Carroll, Alice Faye, and The Ritz Brothers.

v1.bjsxNjUzNTM7ajsxODAwMTsxMjAwOzIwNDg7M

Wings of the Morning, a romance, paired Henry Fonda and Annabella in the first British film in 3 strip Technicolor.

wingsofthemorning_630x330_%7B5d58f17d-8a

And the Jones Family was Off to the Races in another rustic adventure.

-7831271518685817006.jpg

The month concluded saying that Love is News, with Tyrone Power, Loretta Young, and Don Ameche, and also featuring George Sanders, Slim Summerville, and Jane Darwell.

lin2.jpg?w=1200

March started with a Fair Warning. Interestingly, this B featured John Payne in a supporting role. Fox would make him a star soon enough.

MV5BYTdkYzRhYjItZjg0OS00Zjg5LWEyNDMtYWQx

Another crime saga the next week, Nancy Steele is Missing!, co-directed by George Marshall and Otto Preminger, and starring Victor McLaglen

steele1.jpg?w=423&h=619

Next thing you knew there was Claire Trevor saying it was a Time Out for Romance.

MV5BNzYyZTFjYzYtYTdjNy00ZGZlLWEwNTYtM2I0

Another romance followed with Jimmy Stewart and Simone Simon in a remake of the evergreen silent Seventh Heaven, but the results weren't as fertile this time around.

maxresdefault.jpg

April started with Brian Donlevy taking a Midnight Taxi to crime.

1e15b6642bccad1e79ec7591c381c16b.png

Arthur Treacher and David Niven returned for their second and final dose of PG Wodehouse in Step Lively Jeeves

steplivelyjeeves1937.91396_051320140105.

In a romantic comedy, Don Ameche and Ann Sothern found Fifty Roads to Town

MV5BNDIzOTkxYzgtNmEwYS00ZTQ2LTkyMzctOTRl

There was a lot of living at Fox in late April of 1937, first with Walter Winchell, Alice Faye, and Patsy Kelly in Wake Up and Live, a musical.

MV5BNzEzZTZhMmUtMWI3NC00ZjEwLWJmMDAtMTYx

And then with Rochelle Hudson hitting the crime circuit again in That I May Live

MV5BZjYwOTRlYTUtMGQyYS00ZmIyLWE2NzUtZDli

May was in bloom when Tyrone and Loretta met again for love and laughter in Cafe Metropole.

134264-004-1b34eeb2.jpg

On a quieter note, the same day saw It Happened Out West.

MV5BM2YzM2JjMzctNmJiOS00NTUyLWEyMjktMjc2

And Jane Darwell received a rare lead in The Great Hospital Mystery.

MV5BMGEwZmEyZWEtM2VmZS00ZDM0LTlkZDktY2Y3

Charlie Chan made it all the way to the Olympics to solve a case of his own....

MV5BYTczYjQ2MmUtMmE0OC00NzUxLTg4YjgtOGI3

Under the Red Robe was a historical fiction drama and the final directorial effort of Victor Sjostrom. It starred Conrad Veight, Annabella, and Michael Redgrave.

Under_The_Red_Robe_3__29764.1541682242.1

The month closed with This is My Affair , starring Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Taylor, a few years before their marriage.

MV5BMTUwNTM0MTY5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODky

Jane Withers was the one in question in the comedy Angel's Holiday

220px-Angel's_Holiday_poster.jpg'

Keeping up with the Jones (Family) saw them into Big Business.

MV5BZDY4YjUwY2EtMDhiZS00NGI3LWFlZjAtYmNl

Tony Martin declared audiences to Sing and Be Happy.

51uOqDA6U5L._SX385_.jpg

July started with a Slave Ship. Wallace Beery, Warner Baxter, Jane Darwell, Mickey Rooney, George Sanders, and Joseph Schildkraut were all in it. 

MV5BOGUzODE1ZWEtOGYyMy00Mzc1LWIwNTgtNzZh

Rochelle Hudson finally found herself in a comedy (with Jack Haley) in She Had to Eat.

MV5BOTYyMDliNmQtN2Q2Yy00ZDVlLWJkNjItZGJj

But not for long. The following week found her in crime again in Born Reckless.

MV5BNDUxOGExMGItMjFlYy00MWRmLTg1NDgtYzc4

Ricardo Cortez was The Californian of the western of that name.

511lPkQFiYL._SX385_.jpg

The Lady Escapes found Gloria Stuart and George Sanders in a comedy.

MV5BN2E2YTY1ZmQtZGQyYi00MTkxLWFjNmEtYmJi

And, after a 7 month absence, Shirley Temple returned in Wee Little Winkie

MV5BNTk2NjZiZjctMTUzZS00OTJmLTkxNTQtZTUy

Alice Faye and Don Ameche found that You Can't Have Everything, to a musical beat.

MV5BYWQ1OGY3M2QtMzJhMi00ZTliLWIyZWUtZmM3

One Mile from Heaven starred Claire Trevor and was the last of six films of hers to be directed by Alan Dwan.

Fredi+Washington+8.jpg

Love Under Fire found Loretta Young suspected to be a jewel thief by detective Don Ameche, who falls for her.

wM5YRGOhee4NZuuAxzo1b9esyyt.jpg

A new series, that would ultimately encompass 8 films,  was started with Peter Lorre in Think Fast, Mr Moto.

260px-Think_Fast,_Mr._Moto_(1937)_traile

Another B oater followed in Western Gold.

220px-Western_Gold_poster.jpg

September entered with Sonia Henie and Tyrone Power on Thin Ice.

thinice_0008.jpg

A documentary, Borneo, also appeared.

borneo-1937-E5MYMR.jpg

Wild and Woolly placed Jane Withers and Walter Brennan in a Western Adventure.

wild-and-woolly-lg.jpg

Wife Doctor and Nurse was a romantic triangle comedy with Loretta Young, Warner Baxter, and Virginia Bruce.

MV5BODNjZWMwMDUtOTU2ZC00ZDNiLWI4OTYtYjdj

The Jones Family, who must be running on some sort of batteries or energy drink, next found themselves in Hot Water.

hot-water-from-left-george-ernest-spring

College would never be the same when the comic Ritz Brothers found that Life Begins at College.

MV5BZDQ0MTM2ZTItYTk2YS00ODAxLThhMWYtMTli

Then George Sanders, Dolores Del Rio, and Peter Lorre starred in the espionage film Lancer Spy.

Dolores-Del-Rio-George-Sanders-Lancer-Sp

A B western Roll Along Cowboy came in next until the next major Fox release

MV5BNmZmZWVkYjEtN2U1My00NDhhLWFmZWUtNDZh

That major one was Heidi, one of the most remembered Shirley Temple films. I must confess though, it actually scared me a little bit as a child.

heidi1937.77647_021120140349.jpg

Charlie Chan then investigated a mystery on the stage, but for Warner Oland time was running out. He only did one more after this one.

MV5BY2FjMGJjZDctZjI2Mi00MjAxLWJlMjUtMjFj

Eddie Cantor starred in the musical Ali Baba Goes to Town.

Ali_Baba_Goes_to_Town.jpg

Ann Sothern and Jack Haley appeared in a screwball comedy directed by Otto Preminger (!) Danger--- Love at Work

MV5BMTZjNTIzZGQtOTQ5ZS00ZTUyLWJjZjYtOTM4

Danger was obviously in the air, for it was also in the title of the new Cecar Romero B film Dangerously Yours

dangerously_yours-391696049-large.jpg

Second Honeymoon starred Tyrone and Loretta in love again. Something tells me this was more than just their second honeymoon on screen.

MV5BYjg4YjE0NTUtMmMzYi00ZWQ1LTg0ZTYtYTY4

Jane Withers then stared down plenty of prospective parents in 45 Fathers

45fathers_2.jpg

In Dinner at the Ritz, a romantic mystery, you could find Annabella, David Niven, and Paul Lukas.

61Xu6EnPBML._SX679_.jpg

Claire Trevor was a Big Town Girl

w1ew24VuFpip4I71SuA5VeUNAyS.jpg

Borrowing Trouble saw the Jones family again. They made films like rabbits.

MV5BNTM0ZTc5NjAtZGU2ZS00NTdmLWFjMWEtZDRh

Peter Lorre Returned as Mr Moto on another case, Thank You, Mr. Moto

220px-Thank_You,_Mr._Moto_trailer_1.jpg

Love and Hisses was a sequel to Wake Up and Live. Again, Walter Winchell, the famous critic, was the lead.

Love_and_Hisses_1937_LC.jpg

And finally, to cap off the year, there was In Old Chicago, the first Best Picture nominee since the merger, an Oscar-winning performance by Alice Brady, and an all-around entertaining and gripping film

in-old-chicago-1-1.jpeg

• Like 8

I'm only partway through September here. But I will have to end up finishing this tomorrow. I have no internet service at home, and its time to go there now. So I'll have to wrap this up first chance I get.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've never even heard of the Jones Family, but any family with Spring Byington as the matriarch is fine by me. I see from the data base that there are about 10 of them and now I want to see them all.

2 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I've never even heard of the Jones Family, but any family with Spring Byington as the matriarch is fine by me. I see from the data base that there are about 10 of them and now I want to see them all.

The Jones Family series was Fox's version of The Hardy Family, trying to replicate the success MGM had.

Republic got on the bandwagon and had their own Higgins Family series.

• Thanks 1

giphy.gif

Thanks so much for compiling/posting that. Just Wonderful.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 5:12 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Borrowing Trouble saw the Jones family again. They made films like rabbits.

Ha Ha- I love that remark!

I never realized how many films Claire Trevor made prior to her STAGECOACH and beyond years. I really hope we get to see more of them.

I can't wait for the Betty Grable years! :)

This is really great, CinemaInternational. I just adore the lobby cards, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

I never realized how many films Claire Trevor made prior to her STAGECOACH and beyond years. I really hope we get to see more of them.

That's because there's a bias in scheduling "A" films and Oscar-nominated films. So the B films get neglected and forgotten. But some of these stars refined their craft, and made a lot of money, doing a bunch of B films during their early days in Hollywood.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

That's because there's a bias in scheduling "A" films and Oscar-nominated films. So the B films get neglected and forgotten. But some of these stars refined their craft, and made a lot of money, doing a bunch of B films during their early days in Hollywood.

You're right; and even though many of those B films may not be very good, we still like to see our favorites in them :). I guess it's not much different today. I'll go see a 1 1/2 star film just because I like the actors or an actor in it. I don't know if they still refer to the not really good films as B films today, or if a B film was specifically a low- budget film, but they don't stay in the theaters for long. 😄

9 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

You're right; and even though many of those B films may not be very good, we still like to see our favorites in them :). I guess it's not much different today. I'll go see a 1 1/2 star film just because I like the actors or an actor in it. I don't know if they still refer to the not really good films as B films today, or if a B film was specifically a low- budget film, but they don't stay in the theaters for long. 😄

Today's version of "B" films are the low-budget independent films that actors make when they're trying to break into the Hollywood big leagues. When they suddenly wind up in a hit and become a household name, they seldom reference the lesser seen indy films they previously made-- where they learned their craft and were able to put food on the table.

• Thanks 1