Sign in to follow this  
BingFan

Criterion cartoon

51 posts in this topic

Here's the latest Criterion cartoon, from an email today (7/24/19) announcing release of 1984.  Any guesses about which movie it's touting as an upcoming Criterion release?

9dd67c8b-8bbe-43a8-b5ef-8272498bed96.jpg

7 minutes ago, BingFan said:

I've never heard of Old Joy, but your guess definitely fits the cartoon.

It was the first big critical hit for director Kelly Reichardt. Criterion released her 2016 film Certain Women on disc. This may signal that they're going to release others of her back catalog, including Wendy & Lucy (2008) and Meek's Cutoff (2010). Night Moves (2013) was her most commercial film, and also her least critically successful.

A lot of critics love her stuff, but it's an acquired taste to me, very slow, very dry. I've seen all the ones listed above, and liked Old Joy and Wendy & Lucy the most, but I have no desire to see any of them again any time soon.

It seems like that one tip about the Almodovar set seems to be wrong, all things are pointing to Criterion #1000 being a lot of giant lizard hijinks (1300 minutes). yep, you guessed it, Godzilla on Blu-Ray..... Target briefly had a listing online before taking it down because they shot the gun. Almodovar I think would have been a more fitting #1000.

10 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It seems like that one tip about the Almodovar set seems to be wrong, all things are pointing to Criterion #1000 being a lot of giant lizard hijinks (1300 minutes). yep, you guessed it, Godzilla on Blu-Ray..... Target briefly had a listing online before taking it down because they shot the gun. Almodovar I think would have been a more fitting #1000.

Yeah, that is disappointing, as I already have most of the Godzilla movies on disc.

It looks like it says "lemon" so my guess is it might be the Czech film Lemonade Joe. Just a random guess though.

MV5BMTMwZTAxMDItOWYyMy00NzBiLTk0NTAtNzVl

In advance of tomorrow's announcement (which we all know already will include Prince of Tides because it was teased 3 months ago), I found a list of films that are either confirmed as coming sometime soon to the collection and are awaiting a release date or ones that are widely suspected. Of ones confirmed to be in the pipeline or now have ties with Janus Films, there are the following awaiting release:

Betty Blue [1986] (likely December)

Old Joy [2006] (likely January)

Until the End of the World [1991] (either November or December)

High Hopes [1988]

Now Voyager [1942]

Holiday [1938]

Bamboozled [2000]

The Cameraman [1928]

Come and See [1985]

The Comfort of Strangers [1990]

Secrets and Lies [1996]

2046 [2004]

Days of Being Wild [1990]

Happy Together [1997]

Fallen Angels [1995]

King Lear [1987]

Irma Vep [1996]

Streetwise [1984]

The Eyes of Orson Welles [2018]

Chocolat [1989]

Beau trevail [1999]

Paris is Burning [1990]

The Devil and Daniel Johnson [2005]

Burn! [1969]

The Saga of Gosta Berling [1924]

The night of Counting the Years [1969]

Dersu Uzala [1975]

Varda by Agnes [2019]

There are also strong inklings that Criterion has the rights to Citizen Kane [1941], The Other Side of the Wind [1976/2018] and After Hours [1985]. And the Grand Budapest Hotel [2014] is widely expected.

I can't say that many of those are very enticing. Of the ones that I've seen (18 of them), I'd only be interested in buying Dersu UzalaAfter Hours, and The Grand Budapest Hotel. I'm not too excited to watch any of those that I haven't, but I'll give them a shot if they show up on the Criterion Channel (a few of them are already there).

• Thanks 1

Just now, LawrenceA said:

I can't say that many of those are very enticing. Of the ones that I've seen (18 of them), I'd only be interested in buying Dersu UzalaAfter Hours, and The Grand Budapest Hotel. I'm not too excited to watch any of those that I haven't, but I'll give them a shot if they show up on the Criterion Channel (a few of them are already there).

i kind of have to agree. My predicament with most of them is that either I already have copies of some [the more mainstream ones] or they just aren't the highest priority of things to watch. I would like Secrets and Lies though. I also had to edit the list, because I missed one title: 2000's Bamboozled, Spike Lee's audacious blackface satire. Lee himself has confirmed it.

20 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

i kind of have to agree. My predicament with most of them is that either I already have copies of some [the more mainstream ones] or they just aren't the highest priority of things to watch. I would like Secrets and Lies though. I also had to edit the list, because I missed one title: 2000's Bamboozled, Spike Lee's audacious blackface satire. Lee himself has confirmed it.

I would get Bamboozled, too. I recall it being hinted in the New Year's cartoon (bamboo sled). I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but my DVD was bought secondhand and is in rough shape. 

I liked Secrets & LiesHolidayThe Cameraman, and Betty Blue, but I don't really need a copy of them, especially a very expensive one. I wasn't thrilled with Old JoyBeau Travail2046Until the End of the World, or The Other Side of the Wind. And I'm happy with the copies I already have of Citizen KaneCome and See, Now Voyager, and Happy Together.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I liked Secrets & Lies,  but I don't really need a copy..., especially a very expensive one.

I do. I can watch Mike Leigh movies over and over and enjoy them every time. It's my goal to add some of his movies to my collection, but they are expensive everywhere I look.

1 minute ago, Arsan404 said:

I do. I can watch Mike Leigh movies over and over and enjoy them every time. It's my goal to add some of his movies to my collection, but they are expensive everywhere I look.

I've liked most of the Mike Leigh films that I've seen. I was interested in getting a copy of Naked but it seems to have gone out of print. I also have Meantime. I have Happy-Go-Lucky (non-Criterion), too, but I haven't watched it yet. There are still many left to see.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've liked most of the Mike Leigh films that I've seen. I was interested in getting a copy of Naked but it seems to have gone out of print. I also have Meantime. I have Happy-Go-Lucky (non-Criterion), too, but I haven't watched it yet. There are still many left to see.

I've never seen Meantime. Life is Sweet, Topsy-Turvy, and Another Year are also at the top of my list

• Like 2

Of that list, Gosta Berling would interest me the most depending on the extras in it. I like Garbo.

3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Of that list, Gosta Berling would interest me the most depending on the extras in it. I like Garbo.

That's one that I haven't seen.

On 8/14/2019 at 3:37 PM, CinemaInternational said:

In advance of tomorrow's announcement (which we all know already will include Prince of Tides because it was teased 3 months ago), I found a list of films that are either confirmed as coming sometime soon to the collection and are awaiting a release date or ones that are widely suspected. Of ones confirmed to be in the pipeline or now have ties with Janus Films, there are the following awaiting release:

FYI : It's a knowledgeable group here on this thread but just in case, the movie Chocolat (1989) on the list is not be be confused with with the later one of the same title starring J.Binoche. The one in question is the the fine French language film by Claire Denis, and it's great to see it being released.

Here's a new Criterion cartoon from an email received today (8/28/19).  Any guesses about which movie it refers to as an upcoming Criterion release?

3a129946-21f6-4ee9-8f6d-918977553968.thumb.jpg.14cc1566d3842ab73047bd29794f2253.jpg

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The Story of Temple Drake (1933)?

Or the 1961 remake Sanctuary?

That's definitely what people have been indicating, that it is Temple Drake. Now this is a Paramount film, but Fox bought the rights to it so they could make Sanctuary. It's conceivable then that both versions will appear in the same Criterion release, ala Maganificent Obsession.....

Speaking of Criterion findings, i wish they would do 1984's Swing Shift some day. i have heard that the unreleased director's cut is a masterful film (better than the cut released), and I'd love to see it.

I see there's a new cartoon...but I can't post it. Someone else can.

My guess is Fail-Safe (1964).

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I see there's a new cartoon...but I can't post it. Someone else can.

My guess is Fail-Safe (1964).

I can't find it on the Criterion forum, could you link the page at least? I tried searching "criterion cartoon september 2019" but didn't get anything.

Here's the latest Criterion cartoon, included in an email sent on 9/26/19 about the release of Local Hero.  I think the Fail Safe guess may be accurate.

c6b16684-7d44-47a4-81fc-16dd43b90897.jpg

• Thanks 1

Latest cartoon is odd....

73256187_10102507172014028_2646141720571

No whole concensus on what this sketch of Beyonce is referring to, although people have been guessing Diva (1981) or An Unmarried Woman (1978).