papyrusbeetle

MAN'S FAVORITE SPORT?(1964) so bad it's good

4 posts in this topic

Lots of stuff going on in this film, most of it pretty silly, but ROCK HUDSON makes it work. EASY to shine in a masterpiece, but it takes real talent and hard work to make THIS film fit together.

The "titles" are nauseating, as are most of the male characters.

Three starring actresses have the most offensive roles I've ever had to watch, and all 3 of them torment "Rock" throughout.

He's not only a star, he is a hard-working star, willing to subject himself to this film. And it's fun.

I like this film, and I've watched it several times.

However, it does have to be said that MAN'S FAVORITE SPORT? (1964) is simply way too long. A perfect example of something presented in 120 minutes that should have been trimmed to 90 minutes. It's like they were afraid to edit this film, and some of the sequences are tedious and drag on to the point of boredom.

The story is at its best when it features the more romantic moments between Rock and Paula, not the extraneous hijinks he has without her.

The whole thing is built around him being an outdoor fisherman, and a key scene with him at the lake is meant to evoke William Powell's fishing scene in LIBELED LADY (1936). So it works as a piece of mid-60s nostalgia, a nod to earlier screwball comedies. But it's unwieldy and did not require a full two-hour running time.

screen-shot-2019-04-01-at-10.52.17-am.jp

• Like 2

Never thought of this comedy as bad though, but always as his usual terrific comedic Hawks fun & Printess gave a Kate Hepburn style wacky performance in it, though it certainly is no BABY!